What is the difference btwn Windows XP Pro & Media Center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Hi guys!

I want to know the difference between Windows XP Professional and Media Center Edition 2005!

What features r missing in MCE, which r present in Professional and vice versa?

Is MCE an alternate for Professional for a home user?

pls tell here all pros & cons of MCE...

thnx...........

mohit

The Hardware Labs
Windows XP Media Center Edition

New computers running Windows XP Media Center Edition let you experience video, audio, pictures, and TV through a convenient user interface that makes it easier than ever to enjoy digital media. Use the simple layouts and intuitive menus to comfortably enjoy video, audio, pictures, and television on your computer monitor or TV display. In addition, the new remote control for Windows XP lets you unleash your favorite digital media experience from anywhere in the room

and

Windows XP Professional

Designed for businesses of all sizes and for home users who demand the most from their computing experience, Windows XP Professional delivers the new standard in reliability and performance. It includes all the great features and new visual design of Windows XP Home Edition, plus premier security and privacy features, advanced recovery options, improved ability to connect to large networks, and much more.

go HERE for more details on all editions of win xp.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
thnx for the link mohit but what I wanted to know is:

What r the major differences between Pro and MCE?

Like I'm using Professional and If I install MCE, then will I face ne problem? are there some components, which r missing in MCE? or MCE is a complete alternate for Professional?

mohit

The Hardware Labs
MCE has all the components of Pro i guess .. it just differs in the Media Center capabilities i think.

theraven

Technomancer
nope
mce is based on winxp HOME version
to check goto start => run and type gpedit.msc
( pro has it , home doesnt .. and neither mce )

mohit

The Hardware Labs
ya u r right ..actually its logical as ms has designed mce keeping the home user in mind and not business people.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
But in my MCE gpedit.msc working...

Its MCE with SP2 integrated and came with HCL computer.

If there is no BIG difference between pro and MCE, and if MCE is professional with some added functionality, then I think its better to use MCE in stead of pro?

Second thing.

Do all XP pro updates work for MCE too?

Or the updates for MCE r different from pro?

If yes! Then approx. how many updates r available for MCE after SP2? I hv approx. 40 updates for pro...

navino87

In the zone
Windows Media center 05 in nothing but Windows XP professional with service pack 2 installed on it. The things that are special in MCE 2005 is media center,digital media enhancements, Good themes etc......

The service gpedit.msc will work in MCE 2005.

theraven

Technomancer
ah yes ... 2003/2004 versions of mce was based on home
i guess with 05 they upgraded it to pro
and yeah home pro and mce have the same updates .. that doesnt make a difference
even the service pack will be common

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom