what is PCI express grafix card

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisjr

In the zone
:?: hi,
What is PCI-E grafix card and how is it different from other AGP cards.Which gives better results..

PS: plz hurry cuz i am supposed to buy a grafix card in 2days but i dont know which one to buy

theraven

Technomancer
u need to see which one ur motherboard supports first
then u can decide which one u can go for
these cards dont work on the same slot
pcie is on the new mobos for lga 775 for intel and socket 939 for AMD
supported by 915/925 range of mobos for intel or the nForce4 range of mobos for amd

for more details
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10903&highlight=agp+pci

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
AMITAGARWAL02 said:
how many pci express cards are there now in the market

how many????.........wow...have never tried counting them....but PCI-EX will replace AGP/PCI architecture in a couple of years maybe!!
so if ur purchasing a rig that u want shud last for atleast 2 years or maybe more,go for mobo with PCI-EX support! :wink:

geek_rohit

In the zone
PCI Express x16 is a new graphics card interface replacing AGP slot. It claims to be faster than the old AGP interface. Though the performance gain is not much currently. It can only be seen in the future with better processors, graphics cards and better chipsets, which would take the full advantage of this new interface. diGit has carried an article about the PCI Express in this months issue in the graphics card tests. PCI Express can be used only in the new i915 and i925 series motheboards and not in the older i865 and i875 or i845 based motherboard. So if you have i915 or i925 based mobo then you would have to buy a PCI Express based graphics card otherwise for i845, i865, i875 based mobo get an AGP 8x based card.

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
theraven said:
u need to see which one ur motherboard supports first
then u can decide which one u can go for
these cards dont work on the same slot
pcie is on the new mobos for lga 775 for intel and socket 939 for AMD
supported by 915/925 range of mobos for intel or the nForce4 range of mobos for amd

for more details
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10903&highlight=agp+pci

hi,
Is there any software tool that will tell me the details of my mobos cuz i dont hae the time to look into the innards of the comp.this is my sis comp and i dont really know what mobos is there.I think it is from via tech.will it support AGP cards.

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
geek_rohit said:
PCI Express x16 is a new graphics card interface replacing AGP slot. It claims to be faster than the old AGP interface. Though the performance gain is not much currently. It can only be seen in the future with better processors, graphics cards and better chipsets, which would take the full advantage of this new interface. diGit has carried an article about the PCI Express in this months issue in the graphics card tests. PCI Express can be used only in the new i915 and i925 series motheboards and not in the older i865 and i875 or i845 based motherboard. So if you have i915 or i925 based mobo then you would have to buy a PCI Express based graphics card otherwise for i845, i865, i875 based mobo get an AGP 8x based card.

Hi,
Tx for the ans dude but my doubt remains intact though.Agp8x or agp 16x or PCI ex card.current digit magz says agp cards r ruling the roost now but if i want to safegaurd my rig for say 2more years,which card should i opt for.will this entail change in my mobos and other specs.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
@krisjr Agp 16x :shock: When The Hell did That come out Mate..... :?:
Anyways The Currently Available 8x Is The fastest for AGP speeds And The Pci-Counterparts are Kinda cheaper and Efficient upgrade solutions.....but the Mobos supporting this are kida less compared to the AGP ones so The Mobo And the Gfx Combo would be a bit more than u would expect(Depending on ur budget i.e.)......Yea the Agp Are the hostest runs now but the future will See the PCI-E cards Leagues as well.....the Answer is quite obviuos If Its the Future u wanna Hold then The PCI-E cards are Ur Options and if its the Current Runnin trend then The AGP Is The Best Buy 8)
Since Ur Proposal Is 2 Years Safeguarding Then i Suggest An Agp Would be a Good Buy :)

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
allwyndlima said:
@krisjr Agp 16x :shock: When The Hell did That come out Mate..... :?:
Anyways The Currently Available 8x Is The fastest for AGP speeds And The Pci-Counterparts are Kinda cheaper and Efficient upgrade solutions.....but the Mobos supporting this are kida less compared to the AGP ones so The Mobo And the Gfx Combo would be a bit more than u would expect(Depending on ur budget i.e.)......Yea the Agp Are the hostest runs now but the future will See the PCI-E cards Leagues as well.....the Answer is quite obviuos If Its the Future u wanna Hold then The PCI-E cards are Ur Options and if its the Current Runnin trend then The AGP Is The Best Buy 8)
Since Ur Proposal Is 2 Years Safeguarding Then i Suggest An Agp Would be a Good Buy :)

hi,
well that was oversight on my part.well buying 8x grafx card will safegaurd my rig for 2yrs,ur saying..hmmm thats ok.hey i was asking does Intel 925/915 mobos with intel chipset hav agp slots,if not can they play games like NFS6,MAX payne,HL 2 etc

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Nope The 925 Chipset Socket 775 Pentium 4 (Prescott) processor Does not have a Agp Expansion Slot in It (Atleast Most That i have heard Have no Specifications Of The Agp Slots) Or for That Matter The Same for the 915 Chipsets :(
But Then Again The Agp Mobos Might be able to Play Some of These games Which have Onboard graphics on it And Also After they are upgraded to a Gfx Card 8)

theraven

Technomancer
915/925 doesnt have agp
it has pci-e
either slot will do fine for 2 yrs as long as u have a good gpu on it
the problem will be upgrading the proccy and ram
i suggest u go in for the new technology
as for which slot u have
im sure its agp 4x as pci-e i very new
plz post the name and model of ur motherboard as well so we can help u more
and plz be more specific if u still have a problem

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
krisjr said:
theraven said:
u need to see which one ur motherboard ..........

hi,
Is there any software tool that will tell me the details of my mobos ........

there you go
EVEREST

download the home edition
and it will tell you every thing that your computer has

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
theraven said:
915/925 doesnt have agp
it has pci-e
as for which slot u have

hi,
In response 2 ur ans,if 925/915 mobos dont hav agp slots,can they play games like nfs6,may payne,doom 3,HL2 etc if PCI exp card isnt installed.

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
techno_funky said:
krisjr said:
theraven said:
u need to see which one ur motherboard ..........

hi,
Is there any software tool that will tell me the details of my mobos ........

there you go
EVEREST

download the home edition
and it will tell you every thing that your computer has

hi,
Tx mate but i checked its features,it will not give full system info(i.e the home edition)..wat 2do

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
theraven said:
915/925 doesnt have agp
it has pci-e
as for which slot u have

hi,
hey could u name some softwares which will tel me the make,type etc details of my hardwares

geek_rohit

In the zone
Get SiSoft Sandra its one of the best hardware info tools available. It does even benchmark your system too. Yes you can play the games like nfs6,may payne,doom 3,HL2. Although some of them like doom 3 might be on low settings but the onboard solution of the i915 chipset is good enough to play the games. Yes the 915 and the 925 doesn't have the AGP slot but they have got the PCI Express x16 for the new graphics cards.

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
geek_rohit said:
Get SiSoft Sandra its one of the best hardware info tools available. It does even benchmark your system too. Yes you can play the games like nfs6,may payne,doom 3,HL2. Although some of them like doom 3 might be on low settings but the onboard solution of the i915 chipset is good enough to play the games. Yes the 915 and the 925 doesn't have the AGP slot but they have got the PCI Express x16 for the new graphics cards.

Is Sissoft Sandra freeware or something?Do socket 370 mobos hav agp slots

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
krisjr said:

Well Firstly U Can Also try 3DMark03 and PCMark04 For The Benchmarking Tools 8)
Get The Full Version Of 3DMark03 At *downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=576
SIS SandraSoft Is a Shareware Version,Get It From
*www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/SiSoftware-Sandra.shtml
Some Other Benchmarking tools and Util's At *www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=downloads.html

Yup Most Socket 370 Mobos Have Agp Slots 8)

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
allwyndlima said:
krisjr said:

Well Firstly U Can Also try 3DMark03 and PCMark04 For The Benchmarking Tools 8)
Get The Full Version Of 3DMark03 At *downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=576
SIS SandraSoft Is a Shareware Version,Get It From
*www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/SiSoftware-Sandra.shtml
Some Other Benchmarking tools and Util's At *www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=downloads.html

Yup Most Socket 370 Mobos Have Agp Slots 8)

hi,
could u tel me wether Socket 370 M6VLR mobos frm biostar has a agp slot or not..
tx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom