what is overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamilvendan

Broken In
Hi friends! I want to know what overclocking is. I tried searcing through the forum but could not understand anything. Can anyone please higlight on this?

amritpal2489

In the zone
The act of running a chip at a higher clock speed than it was specified for. Very often, chips are capable of running faster than they are specified for, and thus can be safely overclocked. You overclock a chip by setting it at a higher bus speed, a higher multiplier, or both. Sometimes you need to set the chip to run at a higher voltage to accomplish this, further increasing the heat output of the chip.

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
amritpal2489 said:
The act of running a chip at a higher clock speed than it was specified for. Very often, chips are capable of running faster than they are specified for, and thus can be safely overclocked. You overclock a chip by setting it at a higher bus speed, a higher multiplier, or both. Sometimes you need to set the chip to run at a higher voltage to accomplish this, further increasing the heat output of the chip.
Well said amritpal2489.
Well in normal words it means that simplly running at higher speeds than normal speed.
EG. running a 2.4 Ghz CPU to 2.5Ghz or running a 250Mhz GUP and 300Mhz RAM speed G-card to 300 Mhz GPU and 350Mhz RAM speed.

but the hardware usually gets hot when overclocked !!!

anusoni

Broken In
refer *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic...stdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=overclocking
much better description

La_Scorpione

Right off the assembly line
basically overclocking means running ur comp at a clock frequency higher than wht it's supposed to run at.
normally when u get ur processor especially athlons, they r set at a speed which is even lower than the advertised speed. for eg. a 1.8 GHz proc could be clocked at 1.3 GHz.
wht u have to do is basically change clock frequency.
in older motherboards this was done by changing jumpers. then in most of newer boards there r dip switches. the later ones like the AMD 64 bit boards have software settings which means tht u can go to bios and directly change the speed there.
generally ull have the second type of board.
if u read ur manual there'll be a table like thingy tht'l tell u on wht position of the switches wht clk freq ull get for ur CPU, PCI and AGP.
change tht to wht u want. REMEMBER GO STEP BY STEP, THT IS INCREMENT IN LOWEST STEPS POSSIBLE N KEEP STARTING UR COMP. DECREASE TO ONE STEP LOWER THE MOMENT UR COMP ACTS WIERD.
thus ull reach the advertised speed.
now the proc is capable of going still further. but the biggest prob in this is tht of heating. so it is suggested tht before overclocking u put one or two extra fans.
then follow the above steps again. dont take ur comp to the maximum. let it be one or two step below.
now a days generally boards dont blow up unless u set a very high feq they just dont strt. so it's a little less risky. nevertheless it still is possible tht u end up with 6000 bucks worth of paper weight.
best of luck trying to overclock it. ask ne doubts u have before trying though.

Sankalp

Journeyman
I got a motherboard from MSI. I has Dynamic overclocking i.e. a software overclocks the system as required. hence it generated extra heat only when i need the extra speed. hence extra speed at no extra risk of burning the motherboard.

Many of u may know this but it is for them who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom