Status
Not open for further replies.

VIRENKAY

Broken In
Hi,

I recently purchased WinXp Pro OEM cd.
I don't understand what OEM means.
Cover sticker indicates that
" This OEM software may not be delivered unless accompanied by the required hardware under the Microsoft OEM system Builder license located at *www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/. End user support is the respnsibility of the installer of this software."

And Also
Notice: The PC manufacturer is required to attach the certificate of Authenticity label to the computer system prior to delivery.

What's that?

Yes I want to install this OS on my new Pc.
But does microsoft provides free support and updates for OEM ?
till now i did'nt opened the package

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Basically it is something like this. Dell makes computers. And Dell is a OEM. The windows XP OS with OEM certification will work mostly only with the supplied H/W (hardware). So a Dell OEM Windows XP CD is customized for Dell systems. And hence will be supported by MS only for Windows XP installed on specified Dell systems. One OEM will not fit all H/W Dell themselves sell a variety of system configs and hence the OEM XP CD's will change according to the system spec. Where did you buy a OEM from ? These CD's typically cannot be sold seperately. It comes packaged as part of the system. And no MS wont support your OEM CD if you bought the CD alone and the H/W from somewhere else.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
There are two types of Windows OEM licenses. One is the factory OEM like the ones from Dell or HP, and the other is "Full OEM", which is meant for people assembling their own PCs.

Basically, you can purchase this full OEM edition with a power cord for your computer and still have met the requirement for purchasing with new hardware only.

However, Microsoft does not offer direct support for OEM versions. You can only acquire support through the place you purchased the OEM license from.

The OEM license has an extra restriction: You are not allowed to transfer the license from one PC to another, even if you no longer use the license on the old PC. The OEM license is bound to the computer it was installed on, and even if you change your motherboard, Microsoft will consider it as a new PC and therefore not allow you to use your OEM license.

devarajan

Journeyman
OEM stand's for Original Equipment Manufacturer. And when u use OEM software u dont get the support from microsoft.Were as u can from the RETAILER.When u go with FULL PACK it's possible have support from microsoft..OEM KEY VALADITY GET'S BAR AFTER THE CERTAIN USE...Wereas u don't find these problem in FULLPACK......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom