What is Mono?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatkat

Technomancer
Hi,
What is Mono?Is it like Visual Basic/C++ programming suite or is it a platform for running .NET apps in Linux?

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Mono is a comprehensive open source development platform based on the .NET framework that allows developers to build Linux and cross-platform applications with unprecedented productivity. Mono's .NET implementation is based on the ECMA standards for C# and the Common Language Infrastructure.

Its becoming my fav IDE ..

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
The GNU Project is also working on DotGNU < www.dotgnu.org >.... as an alternate to the .NET platform... this is a part of the official GNU Project tree....

Its aim is not to compete with Microsoft's implementation but provide an escape route for people to use Free Software platform...

harmax

Journeyman
it_waaznt_me said:
Mono is a comprehensive open source development platform based on the .NET framework that allows developers to build Linux and cross-platform applications with unprecedented productivity. Mono's .NET implementation is based on the ECMA standards for C# and the Common Language Infrastructure.

Its becoming my fav IDE ..

i installed(think so) mono by

Code:
yum install mono*
after adding required repository info to yum.conf

now how do u run it??

can u please show me screenshots of it

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
msc is the name of compiler and mono is the name for interpreter. You will find lot of info from mono site.

#/bin/sh

Journeyman
Mono is the name of an open source project led by Novell (formerly by Ximian) to create an ECMA Standard compliant (Ecma-334 and Ecma-335), .NET compatible set of tools, including a C# compiler, a Common Language Runtime, and more, all to run on GNU/Linux, UNIX, Mac OS X, and Windows based computers.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(Ximian)

igeek

Broken In
Also, the thing is that in .NET, Microsoft introduced CLR or Common Language Runtime. Simply put, it means that the code of VB.NET, C#.NET, VC++.NET etc. all compile to same bytecode, there's no difference, as was in Visual Studio 6, with VB6 compiling stuff different than what VC++6 compiled. So this way, to run an application written in any .NET langauge, you just need the single set of runtime files.

Now in MONO, its developers sort of created an adaptation of this CLR, and they have a C# compiler based on ECMA standards. As I know of it, currently you can use only C# and Perl with Mono, but you can run any .NET application by installing Mono's CLR as again, the byte code is same, be it that the language was VB.NET or J#.NET or any other .NET language.

I read it somewhere that some guys are trying to create a PHP compiler for .NET so that PHP can be used in ASP.NET and can take advantage of its controls etc.

What I wonder is how long will it take ASP.NET applications to be able to start running on Linux/Apache!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom