What is DNS Hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuXian

In the zone
I came across a term DNS Hosting today, would like to know about it in simple words.

I had heard about web hosting and that a website/domains DNS is always with the webhost.

Then whats this DNS Hosting?

Plz can someone elaborate on that!

rajas700

Youngling
The DNS acronym means two distinct things;

Domain Name System : the worldwide system that enables association of a name to the IP of a given computer
Domain Name Server : one of the computers that take part in this system.

more info visit:

*faq.sw-soft.com/article_83_840_en.html

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
DNS Hosting' is a special case and means the following:
I have a domain registered somewhere. I want to use your DNS servers for my domain but I do not want to transfer my domain to your registrar. I buy a DNS hosting from you. A zone for my domain is created on your nameserver, I got an access to the web interface which allows me to manage this zone. But I still have to change a registration data for the domain myself (define your nameservers), and I still have to pay for the domain myself. It is a simplified situation - it is not possible to buy a DNS hosting only, this option is available for me when I'm buying something else - VPS or a plesk shared domain for example. For this service a fee is charged.

If I'm buying a new domain through your store - then of course HSPcomplete will create a subscription for this domain and will raise renewal orders. The same is true for domain transfers (BTW if I buy a DNS hosting from you - later on I can use 'transfer domain' option and in this case, after a domain has been transferred, HSPcomplete creates a subscription for it and generates renewals).

The above is the text from Rajas provided link. It says at one place "it is not possible to buy a DNS hosting only, this option is available for me when I'm buying something else - VPS or a plesk shared domain for example. For this service a fee is charged." This is emphasised in the above quote.

This means u need to purchase space also. Then whats the diff, when u purchase web space ur dns is automatically created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom