What is Content Management System & What is Plone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi!

I wanna know what is a Content Management System & What is Plone?

Is Plone a free software???

What are its uses?

What are the uses of Content Management System?

I hevn't googled coz i want familiar language. A language which I could understand easily. So, plz don't bother to ask me to GOOGLE these questions.

Thanx!

firewall

In the zone
well.. A content management system (CMS) is a system used to manage the content of a Web site. It is a web application used for managing websites and web content which requires special client software for editing and constructing articles.

there are few types of CMS. mostly we seen the E-CMS i.e Web content management system. Few others are T-CMS Transactional content management system assists an organization to manage e-commerce transactions etc.

Plone is a CMS written in Python . It is based on Zope. Plone is free software and can be used as a document publishing system or a groupware tool . the best example is www.fsf.org . check this out ..and one more thing.. any software released under GNu/GPL is FREE Software.

hope this will help

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
So now can any one define wat cud b da contents of any websites

mns if there's a blog then da posts made by the blogger nd comments received will be called as contants of his blog-site ir sumthing else will also b included.

srijit

Broken In
there are other sotware for blogging like wordpress and movable type. those are for blogging only
results of define: cms in google
  • In the context of a Web site a CMS is a collection of tools designed to allow the creation, modification organisation and removal of information from a Web site. It is common for a CMS to require users to have no knowledge of HTML in order to create new Web pages.
  • Content Management System. A browser based interface which allows the owner to update the content of their web site whenever they want.
  • "Content Managing System". A system whereby users can log in and update their website online. The content is usually stored in a database and the HTML is created dynamically on request.
a little googling never hurt anybody :p

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
GNUrag said:
I have only one problem with Plone, its tooo heavy with server processing power.

does it means dat it makes da server down or does it takes lots of resources from da system while working.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
The Incredible said:
does it means dat it makes da server down or does it takes lots of resources from da system while working.
It will make your system crawl on knees (or maybe crawl on stomach ) if it has anything less than 512 MB RAM and the site is frequently visited.

We have a PowerPC server with dual processor configuration. It too used to crawl randomly all of a sudden.. We recompiled the kernel, increased swap to 4GB .. upgraded its RAM to 2GB and what not..

The problem was traced to Python's limitation, called GIL - Global Interpreter Lock, wherein python only uses one processor for interpreting. and gets screwed by two CPUs.. This phenomenon occurs only on Dual CPU servers. And considering the fact that most of the medium and high end servers available have Dual CPU only.

Conclusion: Plone is extremely good looking and user friendly, only that your server should be best of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom