What are we Running After ?

Should companies continue production of low Mhz Processors ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vswizard

Broken In
Hi every1..

just sitting around one day :idea: it came to my mind that i am still stuck with a old PIII machine.. 833 Mhz,815 MB , 384 MB Ram , 7200 RPM 80 GB hdd.

i still wonder :shock: what magic is P4 3.4XE going to bring to my desktop.

See.. i have been using this machine since 1999 , the only things i have changed is added another slot of 128 mb ram and upgraded my hdd to 7200 rpm 80GB... i m working on a WinXP + SP1 that boot in under 30 seconds.. my login that occurs in under 7 seconds.. apps everything works so well.. i use Visual Basic for programming and Dreamweaver MX for webdesigning.. Flash.. even PhotoShop too.. works all well.. i still play quake 3.. works fine.. So why are we running after higher and higher clock speeds only to play high end games ????

In india 80% of the ppl use their machines for typing work.. or for other data entry operation , watching movies.. do programming. Only a % of it is into hardcore gaming.. so does this justify vendors put in more and more of Mhz.. why can't companies come up with a low end , low priced processor.. that allow Rs.10000 pcs to be built ??? Call centers put in huge resources.. think of organizations.. who are to purchase 1000's PCs and they get them at half the price.. imagine the saving..

The QUESTION IS WHAT ARE WE RUNNING AFTER ???

vsWizard

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
You are like me vsWizard ... If I am gonna upgrade then I ll buy a laptop for mobile computing ... And I am considering to buy a GPU cauz Max Payne II doesnt run on my system ..

OP
V

vswizard

Broken In
What a coincidence.. i m planning to do the same.. i believe the only thing my machine lacks is a GPU.. gonna try if i can get something good for reasonable price.. else... will buy an additional laptop..

vsWizard
( Chill !!! )

kunal

Right off the assembly line
.. so does this justify vendors put in more and more of Mhz.. why can't companies come up with a low end , low priced processor.. that allow Rs.10000 pcs to be built ??? Call centers put in huge resources.. think of organizations.. who are to purchase 1000's PCs and they get them at half the price.. imagine the saving..
Unfortunately Intel corp. can only survive by producing processors using high clock speeds, AMD is rippin it apart.
Intel is way too expensive, the athlon 2000 is yours for only 2950 rupees...ain't that cheap?
Dude, quake-III works on a pentium also, but faster processors are always better, not necassarily higher Mhz..........
I have a friend who plays quake on a pentium-MMX at 200Mhz using a voodoo-2 PCI card.
Try running GTA vice city, UT-2004 on a pentium-III and an Athlon using the same graphics card, and there will be a huge difference, thats because slower processors bottleneck the GPU

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
The question is very relevant to ur countrys economy. Why are we running after so much power ?

But also we shud ask a question why is ur dumb faced government levying such heavy duties and taxes on Pc peripherals such as Gpus. Had it not been for these "sweet" duties we all wud have had either mid seg gfx cards or hi end gfx cards. The recent duty cut hasnt been useful at all. I had this conversation with the mkt manager of Big Byte Corp. We talked abt the probs faced by the Gfx card vendors, abt how duties cut into their income and the reasons why they cant sell hi end cards at their actual prices. The same prob ails most other components. And we call ourselves a IT Superpower. Well so much for that. And the best thing is that these Duties and taxes are levied so that the local manufacturers are not hurt by foriegn competitors. LOL do we local manufacturers producing GPU's. Wot the government is doin just doesnt make sense sometimes and we have to put up against it.

And abt the hi speed components. It is only hi speed as long as it in the lab . Once it is out in the market it becomes accessible to one and all and at the same price as ur old proc at the time of ur purchases. So more the things change the more they tend to remain the same. I dont know if all ppl might agree with me or not.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
i fully agree with u blade_runner. y levy a duty on a product that is not even manufactured in our country? it will take decades b4 an Indian company manufactures a gfx card. so y not let d users enjoy high-end cards 4 low prices?

OP
V

vswizard

Broken In
Dude, quake-III works on a pentium also, but faster processors are always better, not necassarily higher Mhz..........
I have a friend who plays quake on a pentium-MMX at 200Mhz using a voodoo-2 PCI card.
Try running GTA vice city, UT-2004 on a pentium-III and an Athlon using the same graphics card, and there will be a huge difference, thats because slower processors bottleneck the GPU

I agree.. to that.. but here i m talking abt the uses of low end low priced processors.. no questions abt that GTA and all run better on higher end machines.. but wat we need is reduction of duties.. and sub 10,000 PCs so that even an average student can afford it.. i have been to school n colleges.. in which students are learning computer and they havnt actually used it. We are the geeks.. our entire lives are spent here.. but when should also look at the benefits india can derive .

vsWizard
( PS : i have my final exam tomm and i m still here :p 8) )

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
vswizard said:
vsWizard
( PS : i have my final exam tomm and i m still here :p 8) )

This proves that either u are finished with your studies or u know that u will fail neways !!

LOL! I m just kiddin !! dont take it seriously.Btw Best of luck.

theraven

Technomancer
i think im late replyin to this post
yet to put my 2 bits in !!
i agree totally with blade_runner and diju
we always land up paying quite a bit for comparatively sub standard technology ... the price being equivalent to ppl paying for top of the line products abroad
the recent cuts are good in certain cases
but not enuff !!
sigh
when will the government learn ?
and then we wonder abt india's future !!

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Btw wot is Nascomm and other It biggies doing in this aspect. Or for that matter wot is the BJP led government doing since it has always taken the credit for making India a 'IT superpower'. LOL ! When is this country going to come of age when it comes to technology .........

And when are users like us going to get their share of pie......... :x

Btw Nvidia and ATi will flag off officially in India arnd June or sumthng. They will start marketing investing etc i.e. more active participation. So thats sumthng to cheer abt. Wot say guys !!

OP
V

vswizard

Broken In
We really hope something comes up after elections.. actually the basic problem is that all the political parties are under pressure.. or don't have ppl with long term visions.. those who have those experience.. and a vision for an IT roadmap.. are not allow to come forwards.

Nasscomm (plz excuse) is in shambles after Dewang Mehta.. The amount of awareness that Nasscom had at his time was much more than its now..

So.. Lets hope we find a leader who can build India the way it should be.

vsWizard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom