What after 7 Days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
Last time when I was home, I installed Windows XP Pro SP1 OEM which came bundled with my laptop to my home desktop PC.

Last week... when I upgraded it to XPSP2 and it was running smoothly after applying all updates and patches which MS released after SP2, I also validated it to MS Download Web Site... and they also recognize that I'm using GENUINE Product...

But from today morning when I started my desktop, It gave a message on login screen after entering password that

"You must activate Windows within 7 Days... "

When I click yes it gives me message on WPA window that

"Windows is already activated.Please click OK to exit"

If it is already activated then why the hell it gives me warning to activate on start-up????

Don't know why this is happening... and what will happen after 7 days... I started taking backup, it's pindrop silence before storm kinda situation with my desktop....

I think I kinda break somekind of MS Laws and stuff by installing same product with same product ID on 2 machines; on my laptop and my home desktop.... did I ???

Help!

Sourabh

Laptoping
hmm yaa u have

yaa u have broken the laws
when u register it for the first time all ur hardware info n stuff is collected by MS
so the next time u reigster with the same key then it will check for the same system n in ur case the pc has changed

if this was legal then every one wod have original windows xp

all big multinational companies wod have purchased only one xp n installed it on all their systems

OP
ShekharPalash

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
@ Sourabh.... yeah i heard some kinda HW stuff collected when registering copy with MS but friend activation and registration are different i think.... may be they collect HW stuff without ur knowlege that's why they detected same product with same PID on both of my system... !!!

Hey but what if i change some of hardware (new RAM, new GFX even new processor) after some of that PC which is activated sucessfully with MS... will it ask me again to acticvate?????'

or may be I'm being asked to activate again 'coz it was an OEM product for Compaq Laptop and now I'm using it on a Compaq Desktop.... ???

but now, why it is saying

"Windows is already activated.Please click OK to exit"

I'm exploring MS Piracy/Activation web.... but as always there's nothing which can help me... I also called MS Call center in Delhi (011-26292640) but it sucks.... they said service not available !!!!

MS Services (in india) SUX!!

theraven

Technomancer
prankzter ... he just said it came with his laptop and it was validated by microsoft ..
so im guessin its a legal copy ...
and no he hasnt broken any laws ... but yeah .. it could be what sourabh said .. infact im pretty sure thats it .

OP
ShekharPalash

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
I just had an online chat session with HP AP Support... they said:

"All MS OS OEM Products for HP products like MS Windows OS & MS Windows Server are meant to install only on product they were bundled with, and must be installed in case of any reinstallaton or any other accident through HP/Compaq System Recovery DVD/CDs to attain the factory default preactivated status, otherwise after a limited time usually 30 or 60 days it will require to activate the product again with MS WPA Servers. The activation will be permitted only with the HP/Compaq product it came bundled with, with all other Hp/Compaq or non HP/Compaq products you'll not be able to activate it."

I Found this little peice of information about OEM Windows XP before this chat:

Microsoft Product Activation for Windows XP:

Microsoft Product activation can uses several methods and technologies to help achieve Microsoft's goals of protecting intellectual property rights by having the users comply with the terms of the EULA.

This is how activation works for Windows XP acquired through. Windows XP has a 60-day limit to be activated. After the time limit, it won't work.

The (OEM) PC Manufacturer:

The majority of customers acquire Windows xp with the purchase of a new computer, and most new computers pre-loaded with Windows XP will not require activation at all. Microsoft provides OEMs with the ability to "pre-activate" Windows XP in the factory. About 75% of all new PCs will be delivered to the customer pre-activated.

The Pre-activation; of Windows XP by the OEMs will be done in one of two different ways depending on the OEM's own configuration options and choices. Some OEMs may protect Windows XP using a mechanism which locks the installation to OEM-specified BIOS information in the PC. This technology works very similar to existing technologies that many OEMs have used over the years with the CDs they ship to reinstall Windows on these computers. Microsoft has expanded the existing OEM CD BIOS locking mechanism with product activation, and call this method of protection "System Locked Pre-installation," or SLP.

SLP uses information stored in an OEM PC's BIOS to protect the installation from casual piracy. No communication by the end customer to Microsoft is required and no hardware hash is created or necessary. At boot, Windows XP compares the PC's BIOS to the SLP information. If it matches, no activation is required.

Every single piece of hardware could be changed on a PC with SLP and no reactivation would be required. Even the motherboard could be replaced as long as the replacement motherboard was original equipment manufactured by the OEM and retained the proper BIOS. But, if the BIOS information does not match, the PC would need to be activated within 30 days by contacting the Microsoft activation center via the Internet or telephone call in retail.

OP
ShekharPalash

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
Means... I've to wait for 6 days, and after this reinstallation/purchasing a new XP is must.... ;-)

WPA is amazing, i didn't thot WPA is this much advanced as we did lotta R&D with WPA in campus computers when SP1 was released....

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hmm @ Shekhar, Do this thing :

With regedit at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT
\CurrentVersion\WPAEvents

carefully change just the first byte of OOBETimer

Now go to
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools -
Activate Windows

OP
ShekharPalash

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
Yes I did it... and then even activated windows online sucessfully... but it still giving warning on login, and WPA Wizard again saying

"Windows already activated. Please click OK to exit."

May be WPA is deeply related as HP guys and stuff I found about it on MS Webs... let's see what happens after 5 days... ;-)

I check System Alert logs in MMC (MyComp>Manage)

I found lot of WARNINGS about Windows Product Activation started from 25 days ago... now as only week was left it started me giving warnings...

Anyways, I'm waiting for next 5 days with this Windows, will buy a new one this weekend....

Le it die !!!!

Waise bhi is PC mein bahoot kachra jama ho chuka hai... gonna spend this sunday with a clean and GENUINE REINSTALLATION !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom