wget: some queries??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
i am using wget for quiete some time to manage my downloads but have some queries:-

• how to download in split parts from multiple servers like in flashget??
  • is there any GUI for schedulling donwloads in wget?? b'cos i found only cron jobs???
  • how set it download automactically from the list when my net is free or stop it when i broswer is running
  • how create some modes say:download mode or browsing mode. i mean to limit is brandwith usage like we do in torrents??

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Code:
man wget
Will solve most of the queries.
You can check out *www.cs.duke.edu/~reynolds/gat/ for GUI scheduling.
You can also check out curl for downloads
Code:
man curl
for more

mehulved

It is there. I did find a few but my browser crashed. I will find them again and post back later.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Gary, You can use Aria Download Manager similar to FlashGet(in Windows).
Get it from here

mediator

Technomancer
Take a look at "prozilla" -> *prozilla.genesys.ro/ ! I use it daily and its one of the best Linux download accelerators i have come across so far.

Its run by command "proz"! It downloads the file in whatever directory u initiated the command. So to download all the files in one default directory , I did a little tweaking. I made a little shell script! U may use it too. Here it is...

if [ -z $1 ]
then
echo "Enter Url !!"
else
cd /home/mediator/downloads
proz $1
fi

"downloads" is the default directory here. U can change it to any other directory u create. Save the shell script as "resume" or whateva u like and place it in ur PATH. Then give the execution rights to it and run as "resume *file_address" ! The speed it gives is just amazing. Try it out!
Have fun! Happy Shell scripting!

mehulved

gary4gar said:
how to download in split parts from multiple servers like in flashget??
I have to check this up but maybe the following switch will work, just try
-m
--mirror
Turn on options suitable for mirroring. This option turns on recursion and time-stamping, sets infinite recursion depth and keeps FTP directory listings. It is currently equivalent to -r -N -l inf --no-remove-listing.

gary4gar said:
is there any GUI for schedulling donwloads in wget?? b'cos i found only cron jobs???
Covered in my previous post

gary4gar said:
how set it download automactically from the list when my net is free or stop it when i broswer is running
I don't think this can be done without shell scripting.

gary4gar said:
--limit-rate=amount
Limit the download speed to amount bytes per second. Amount may be expressed in bytes, kilobytes with the k suffix, or megabytes with the m suffix. For example, --limit-rate=20k will limit the retrieval rate to 20KB/s. This is useful when, for whatever reason, you don't want Wget to consume the entire available bandwidth.

This option allows the use of decimal numbers, usually in conjunction with power suffixes; for example, --limit-rate=2.5k is a legal value.

Note that Wget implements the limiting by sleeping the appropriate amount of time after a network read that took less time than specified by the rate. Eventually this strategy causes the TCP transfer to slow down to approximately the specified rate. However, it may take some time for this balance to be achieved, so don't be surprised if limiting the rate doesn't work well with very small files.how create some modes say:download mode or browsing mode. i mean to limit is brandwith usage like we do in torrents??

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
can anone help me learn some little shell scripting for pity things??
some resources which start from "0"

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
So you want it in PDF format? Download Shell Scripting Tutorial (in PDF format) from here

mediator

Technomancer
Yea there are plenty of em, best being "Linux complete command reference", but its huge! Shell scripting is nothing but compilation of commands with appropriate parameteres and if-then-else etc blocks! Just google for it and u'll find it in plenty. Neways the non-pdf link given by @Jguru is appropriate and shud be more than enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom