Western 750 GB External HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

royal

Padawan
Friends, I need to buy a 750 GB external HDD for storing movies/documentaries/eBooks etc. The 400 GB one that I have is already full :mad: , So I was thinking of going for this . Need your feedback on how good you think it is and whether there is much difference with this .

Actually I was thinking of going for a 1TB but then I'll wait for the costs to come down :(

BTW, whats the going price for a 750 GB HDD in India ? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hope this helps:(taken from digit july, so prices may be outdated and hence lower.)

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS is good

500GB
internal
1.57 Paise per MB
Rs.7500/-

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS is good

320GB
internal
1.47 Paise per MB
RS.4500/-

(from digit july :oops:)

these are better than most 750 GB HDDs out there
get a casing for Rs. 600/- and chuck them in. You get longer guarentee for the HDDs, more value for money, and no chance of refurbished HDDs found in some external solutions. You don't void guarentee if you open disc from casing unlike external HDDs.

you can buy both, or two of one of them.

one of my friend told something about casings that can house two HDDs in RAID. if you get one of them, there you have it! a 1TB external drive for 17000 max!

besides, you get the same company's discs with no backup utilities, thats all. You can always get those japanese high end data backup casings with support for many drives, RAID, backup buttons, etc if you are a System Admin.

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
MetalheadGautham said:
these are better than most 750 GB HDDs out there
Can I know the reason ? :confused: Not challenging you but just asking .

MetalheadGautham said:
get a casing for Rs. 600/- and chuck them in. You get longer guarentee for the HDDs, more value for money, and no chance of refurbished HDDs found in some external solutions. You don't void guarentee if you open disc from casing unlike external HDDs.

Actually 500 GB is not enough for me :( and I won't get cases that support 750 GB or more for 600 INR. I am getting 750 GB with case for aprox. 8000 INR and thats a steal. My first priority is performance and I have read good reviews about Western HDDs. It would be great if I get any feedback from ppl who have actually owned Western HDD. :p

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@royal

Are you buying from UK ?? if yes then consider this, *store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/Web.../RSLID?mco=47E21721&fnode=home&nplm=TQ587ZM/A as with apple you get an Internation warrenty so no matter where you go you can obtain warrenty :) price is also pretty low when you are out side india and paying via USD :D

sorry, forgot that you were in the UK.

I would still stick with these models if you want cost effectiveness for external drives, and good performance as desktop drives. they can even have their use changed from external to internal.

BUT... you can also go for a laptop drive of 500 GB comming at around 200 euros. This will be more protable for you. And yes, you get raid casing for max 35$. go for a one terabyte configuration then.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
royal said:
The 750 GB version is currently not available in Apple store UK :(

hmm... try local apple store, some time they dont list in their regional sites... givem them a call see if they have any ext option for 750 GB or not.. usually they do..

anyway option 2 if they dont then 2 500 GB drives..

*store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7E4EB91E&nplm=TL883

£89.95 euro each... bit costlier than US cunter part...

gaurav_indian said:
I bought Western Digital 500gb with firewire for Rs. 7800. :sad: last week.

must be external then. you should have gone for internal + casing. now internal is only 6400. casing another 600. you could have bargained easily and gotton that casing free too. then It became 6400 vs 7800. with the former having more guarentee and no risk of voiding guarentee on removing disc from case.

you lost Rs. 1400.
Thats 140 plates of bhel puri:grin:

gaurav_indian

CG Artist
MetalheadGautham said:
must be external then. you should have gone for internal + casing. now internal is only 6400. casing another 600. you could have bargained easily and gotton that casing free too. then It became 6400 vs 7800. with the former having more guarentee and no risk of voiding guarentee on removing disc from case.

you lost Rs. 1400.
Thats 140 plates of bhel puri:grin:

ab platey baant raha hai tab kahan tha jab main thread bana ke cheekh cheekh ke pooch raha tha ke kaunsi External HDD lu :mad:

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
MetalheadGautham said:
casing another 600. you could have bargained easily and gotton that casing free too.

I seriously doubt you can get a good quality case for 600 INR...and even if you do, no shopkeeper is going to give it to you for free.:(

On second thoughts, if you find one such...do let me know. ;)

Coming back to business, I ordered MY BOOK from amazon. Its got Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive inside. I read good reviews about this. I plan to get a case with eSATA/Firewire 800 later for this. :cool: as the case in My book is a plastic one with vents.

@gaurav

sorry yaar. mai to abhi hi idhar aaya. is forum ko hi last notice kiya. agar thu ous 1400 ko recover karna chahta hai to 140 times bhel puri math kha:p

@ax3

we can only wish we had 8mbps @ Rs. 500 unlimited PM in india:cry:

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
ax3 said:
@The_Devil_Himself, dekha nahi @royal ka location ..... thanx 4 pointing it out .... & ya ? hi nahi aata hai ...... idhar mushkil se gb fill hote hai ......

In the beginning I also faced the music yaar ... measly 256 kbps unlimited for Rs. 1000 :mad: in Kolkata.

However now I fill up my RS quota of 25GB/5 days within two days :D so its not very hard to guess how 400 GB got filled up ;)

I pay £4 per month for 8MBps unlimited :cool:

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
Choto Cheeta said:
Rs. 350/- :cry: :cry:

Actually its £10...but I share it with others. :twisted:

I plan to take a separate connection after May'08...even if I have to pay £10, its worth it. :mrgreen:

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
The_Devil_Himself said:
mooomaaaa send me to UK.........OMFL 8mbps unlimited @Rs.900\month!!!

Its not exactly 'Unlimited'...I mean if you continuously download whole day at 8MBps then you are sure to get a friendly visit from the internet provider :wink:

However I use up RS quota within 2 days and besides, even if I did download all day, it will be a problem storing the content...750 GB storage will be used up within a month. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom