WEP + FBI reference=Joke ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digen

Youngling
For people wondering what it is,WEP stands for Wired Equivalent Privacy.It is a encryption pattern for securing wireless transmissions between 802.11 a,b & g devices.

Recently I've been studying pros & cons of a wired v a wireless world & let me tell ya a wireless network appears to be surrounded by as many security concerns as a wired lan perhaps even more.
The article below gives anyone the ability to take a crack at a secured/unsecured WLAN by using the right set of tools mentioned there, & guess what 2 nerds from the FBI have actually featured in the article.
How insane can this get? I mean to prove that WEP is c_rap the article could have been explained in technical jargon without spitting out the gold mine but the guys at tomsnetworking.com had to show off dont they?
Lastly at the end they have a topic Countermeasures & Conclusion !!
Sheesh you expect script kiddie's to read the last few pages too??

You can read that entire article here: *www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article111.php

gamefreak14

Journeyman
Definitely not a joke....Whats wrong with them exposing their method of attack?. Actually, just the mention of such news is enough for hackers to get their stuff up and running and even if the 'recipe' explained in detail wasn't leaked, it would have been ferreted out anyway.
Regarding script kiddies, yes....they shouldn't have gone into such intricate detail about their modus operandi (shouldn't have mentioned the exact programs used). What I mean to say is that it's a double edged sword - good news for us to be on the lookout and good news for script kiddies too :lol: :lol:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Lol Although there are countermeasures also given at the end, this is a disaster waiting to happen .....

Out of curiosity I dont see how this point

1) Network segregation
Put your access point on a separate subnet, with a firewall separating the wireless and internal users

keeps the WLAN safe? Am I missing something? At the end I still wonder if the quote "Thankfully, the FBI are the good guys" is actually true......

OP
D

digen

Youngling
Definitely not a joke....Whats wrong with them exposing their method of attack?
There is nothing wrong in sharing information & creating awareness among masses[both the good & the bad] but have you read the last part "Countermeasures" & the link they have given at the bottom? The tips that they have given in no way help prevent a attack which will take place no matter the precautions if the attacker is pretty intent in breaking in.This is especially the case w.r.t WEP.

Regarding script kiddies, yes....they shouldn't have gone into such intricate detail about their modus operandi (shouldn't have mentioned the exact programs used).
Thats exactly my point mate.

What I mean to say is that it's a double edged sword - good news for us to be on the lookout and good news for script kiddies too
Agreed mate,thats what separates the men from the boys !! 8) [/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom