Welcome to The Era of DRM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
In the US, France and a few other countries it is already forbidden to play legally purchased music or videos using GNU/Linux media players. Sounds like sci-fi? Unfortunately not. And it won ’t end up on multimedia only. Welcome to the the new era of DRM!

More...

DRM
In the world of DRM, it turns that we cannot do whatever we want with the legally purchased products (like software, music, videos or text documents). What we can and what we cannot do is decided the provider, not by ourselves. For example, a DRM-protected product can be disabled at any time by the producer if he believes that we violate the terms of the agreement. This means that your collection of “protected” music can be rendered useless (e.g. by decreasing the quality or even deleting the content) in a matter of seconds, without your approval. It that some horrible vision of a sick and evil overlord? Nope. This is an upcoming, terrifying era of DRM.

So, what will happen if the Microsoft vision comes true?

*If you have recently bought a high-end sound card you may be surprised, since in Windows Vista you won’t be able to play any “protected content” due to the incompatibility of interfaces (S/PDIF).

*Significant loss of quality of the audio may be common due to the need to test every bit of streaming media for the use of “protected content”

*The idea of open-source drivers will be abandoned since the whole DRM thing is based on the fact that the content decrypting takes place in a “black box” and only a few selected corporations may have a look at it. Security through obscurity, that’s what it’s called. Open source stands in complete opposition to this concept.

*Removing any standards from the hardware world is one of the Microsoft goals. According to the Microsoft theory, each device will need to communicate with the operating system in a unique way in order for DRM work as required. This will enforce the incompatibility of the devices, killing the existing interface standards.

*Denial of Service attacks will be a common place. The new era of DoS attacks will be more harmful than ever before. This is connected with the tilt bits introduced in Windows Vista. The malicious code will be able to use the DRM restrictions in any suitable way and the detection of this activity will be almost impossible if not illegal (sic!) thanks to the infamous DMCA act that prohibits the use of any reverse engineering techniques used to either understand or break DRM.

*The stability of the devices will be decreased due to the fact that the devices will not only have to do their job but also “protect” (who? obviously not the user…) against the illegal use of the audio and video streams. This “protection” requires a lot of additional processing power and of course a lot of programmers man days. Who’s gonna pay for that? Of course us — the customers.

*Issuing the specification by Microsoft seems to be the first case in the history when the software producer dictates the hardware producers how their hardware should be designed and work. Seems dangerous, especially when we all realize the intentions of Microsoft.

The conclusions are rather sad. If the major hardware vendors like Intel, NVidia and ATI take these recommendations seriously and implement them in their products, it may occur that the client will not only get an inferior product (defective by design), but will also have to pay the extra cost of implementing DRM restrictions (the vendors won’t be probably willing to spend the extra costs for something that does not give them any profits).

So if you are against it you can join the campaign to eliminate DRM at:

*www.defectivebydesign.org/

I request all of you to read the full article (horrifying) and then comment...

Last edited:

unni

In the zone
Thanks man.

I am now almost sure that Windows XP SP3 is being delayed till some time in 2008 to implement these DRM thingies.

Last edited:

unni

In the zone
Microsoft quietly let it be known this week that it plans yet again to delay the release of Service Pack 3 for Windows XP users, this time until some point in the first half of 2008. At the beginning of 2006, I wrote that Microsoft was delaying SP3 until the latter half of 2007 in order to concentrate on development work for Windows Vista, the long-promised next new version of its flagship operating system. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer had earlier said that SP3 would ship prior to the release of Vista.

I read this from here: *bink.nu/Article8996.bink

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I haven't read much on DRM yet, but whatever I have read makes it sound scary. Software level DRM is bad but when implemented at hardware level it's gonna make life hell for the consumers. It's gonna be a nightmare. We should really remove DRM before it gets anywhere.

unni

In the zone
We should really remove DRM before it gets anywhere.
Yeah. Until now, to me, open source was an option to get away from monopolies. But, now, I believe that open source has much more sinister purpose. The 5th freedom- Freedom from DRM

By the way, check this out:

Windows Vista DRM cracked already
*www.wincert.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=849

A hacker claims to have written code to break Windows Vista encryption within hours of the operating system’s consumer launch. Canadian programmer, Alex Ionescu claims on his blog that he’s managed to unlock Vista’s Protected Media Path (PMP) encryption feature to enable high-def DVDs to be copied. Microsoft’s system is designed to degrade the quality of video and audio playback with hardware components not approved by Microsoft.

The DRM was bypassed by breaking the Driver Signing/PatchGuard protection. Due to concerns over violating US law, Ionescu has not released the source code. He would “really love to release this tool to the public” and is currently looking into options such as emphasising the research aspect. He said that in the first 24 hours after blogging about his achievement, his site received over 60,000 visitors, but claims that he never intended to publicise the crack on the day of Vista’s release.
“I never expected that it would get the kind of attention it has; to be fair, I had completely forgotten that today was Vista’s launch date (being a beta tester, I’ve had RTM for months now),” he claims.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Software DRM is the starting and can be cracked. But, what when hardware DRM comes? What then? There will be no escape to that.
And free and Open Source has never been against monoploy or anything. It has always been for opening up of the source code cos it always believes that softwares are information and information should never be hidden. Everything should be transparent and open to the end users and other developers.

unni

In the zone
When hardware DRM comes, we may start queing up for getting DRM restriction bypass chips or something similar soldered on all our hardware. I am saying this because once my friend bought a mod chip for PS2 from UAE and had it soldered into his machine so that he could play pirated games, and it worked very well. Or, as said in the link, we may have to rely on China. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom