Weird Probs with H/W!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekhead83

Broken In
My machine is a amd athlon 2000+ xp with a msi km something motherboard...
Edit : I have 256mb DDR ram.

There was some probs with my CPU recently as when i used to switch it on, it used to power on and then in 3 seconds shut of.

I initially thought there was a problem with the power supply.
My h/w man took the cpu and told me the foll :

The agp slot is gone.
As a result my nvidia riva tnt2 iis gone as well.

I have win98se and win xp dual booted.
Win xp just refuses to start now and win98se gives illegal operation errors every 10 mins for almost every application.

So i am reduced to some stupid pci card with 2 mb memory.
I was just planiing to buy a new card maybe geforce fx 5200.
But the news of my agp slot going bust is a shock.

Furthermore my h/w man also told me that amd cpu's should always be used with asus mainboards and not via chipsets.
Is this true?

No what do i do ?
Do i upgrade my motherboard or is there any other alternative or is the h/w man trying to fool me into buying new stuff?
And yeah i wanna play games boo hoo.... :cry:

Please help me techies!!!! :?

theraven

Technomancer
he's definitely tryin to see u new stuff
why dont u check ur graphics card on another computer ?
if it works .. then its just ur slot
if it doesnt ... well i dun think theres a point in spoiling another card on ur bust AGP slot
as for amd and via/asus there is nuthin of the sort
but since ur agp slot is bust u will HAVE to go in for a new board unless u can find a component level repair shop somewhere
since u ARE going in for a new board i suggest ASUS it definitely is the best
BTW asus manufactures VIA chipset boards as well .. so thats definitely not the problem ;)
hope it helps
do ask if u need further clarification/help

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
geekhead83 said:
The agp slot is gone.

check both card as well as slot seperately....try running ur card on sum other AGP slot...as well as try running a diff card on ur AGP slot.....see for urself which one is bad...

Furthermore my h/w man also told me that amd cpu's should always be used with asus mainboards and not via chipsets.
Is this true?

WOW...not a chance man!!!
mainboards r diff nd chipsets r diff....
nd as raven said....ASUS is the best in mobo segment....

is MOBO still in warranty????
well IF ur AGP slot is fried then either u get it repaired which i think will be a lil difficult...else get a new MOBO,but pls check out prices frm different dealers before settling with ur h/w dealer....
:wink: [/quote]

swatkat

Technomancer
geekhead83 said:
There was some probs with my CPU recently as when i used to switch it on, it used to power on and then in 3 seconds shut of.

I have win98se and win xp dual booted.
Win xp just refuses to start now and win98se gives illegal operation errors every 10 mins for almost every application.

There might be problem with RAM or RAM slots,remove RAMs and clean the slots and then put the RAM modules again.Then run Windows,if it gives illegal operation error frequently then also,u check the RAM by putting it in another system.

Is this true?
Bakwas.....even Asus uses a VIA chipset for it's motherboards for AMD.

OP
G

geekhead83

Broken In
thanx for ur replies guys.

the thing is im gonna test my riva tnt2 in all possible ways. (didnt think of that)

if my agp slot is gone, im stuck with the sis 6215c coz my pop's not gonna buy me a new mobo just for playing games. ("the current one works fine, whats ur problem?")

he;s resintalled win 98....atleast the weird illegal operations errors have gone...but no games now!!!

and yeah it isnt under warranty, coz its almost a year and a half ago that i purcahsed both the mobo and the cpu!

But first things first, ill ask him my agp card (strange he hasnt returned it yet!) and then test it out...

Will keep u guys posted!

Geforce

Journeyman
:?: :?: The vendor trying all possible ways to fool you :?: :?:

Even if the AGP slot is bust ..... it can always be repaired. Due to some voltage spike the capacitor(s) for the AGP slot burn out.

Recently my friend got his 815e MOBO's AGP slot repaired and he's happily using fx5200 on it.

:idea: GET YOUR MOBO REPAIRED :idea:

:oops: AND FOR CHRIST'S SAKE GET YOUR TNT2 BACK :oops:

The Vendor must have told that the TNT2 is burnt and would be of no use to you, but if you give it to me you may get something in return. He would probably sell it off for odd Rs1000/-.

:arrow: From what i think, your TNT2 is alright, as said by other members of this forum try it on any other system.

If the card is Ok then get your MB repaired.

You can always convince your dad what that vendor was trying to pull off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom