weird mouse problem- please suggest

Status
Not open for further replies.

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
weird mouse problem- please suggest (& also suggest a good mouse to buy)

Hi,
I am having a weird mouse problem.
I have a A4 tech ball mouse (PS2) for more than 2 years , its been really good & have taken much tortures.

For past few weeks 1) the mouse pointer was getting stuck suddenly forever,
2) sometimes pointer was going mad , unresponsive & eratic movement & random cliking on the screen - a total chaos!
It needed a restart or unplugging the mouse & re-plugging it to make it normal ly working again.

But now the pointer gets stuck within 2/3 minutes forever after i start my computer & plugging out & in does not help either.
I am using windows xp , i have tried - cleaning the mouse ball & rotators properly, setting the mouse settings to default & finally uninstalling & reinstalling the device from device manager.

One may suggest - "wats the big deal buy a new mouse" - i will! but i just need to be sure (as i would prolly buy good costly mouse if i do) whether it is a problem with my current mouse or windows or my motherboard's PS2 port?!

Thanx for reading this long post & please suggest. (I am using keyboard to do all these posting & everything & it sucks!)

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
There is only one wat to test, get a friend's mouse and test it, or take your mouse to a friend's place and test it there. Most probably the mouse has the problem..

shanket

Broken In
hi andrew...
try cleaning the mouse ball with a mild solution...
wat kalpik said is also correct...
and one more thing, try cleaning the rollers also.....

OP
~It_is_Andrew~

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
@ shanket
i have already tried all that , i wrote in that post, but thanx .

ok, i exchnaged my mouse ith nmy friends, hoping wither my mouse will not work properly in his place (my mouse's fault) or his wont work in mine (some other things fault)
BUT both are working fine after exchange now!! confused!! :s any suggestion?

anywayz i will probably buy a new mouse. my old one was a A4 tech ball mouse, good one.

now my questions are -
1) some friends said good (in the range 500-700) ball mouse are better than optical mouse & one face many problems with optical muse after a while. Is this true?

2)I heard laser mouse are hard to control for general use! (are they reccomended? )
I have searched this forum & it seems ppl reccomending iball laser precise for entry level laser mouse & all other seems costly , is the mouse reliable enough? as many are paranoid being it a i-ball mouse!
What other options do you reccomend(ball/optical/laser)? (starting from 300 to max 600~700; but also mention little bit higer pricesd ones if they are really good, not more than 1k).
Thanx.

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Ball mice are long dead.. I dont even think you'l be able to find one.. Optical is recomended.. There is no such problem with laser mice.. They are supposed to be better than optical mice. But i personally haven't used iBall, so cant say much..

shanket

Broken In
Hi Andrew,
I think u should go in 4 an optical (lazer) mouse.... these mose have a high refresh rate and have a very good response factor....
More over there is no need of maintanance for these devices....

I dnt think there is any need of going 4 an i-ball.... U can easily get a logitec optical mouse for around Rs600 to 500....

Last edited:
OP
~It_is_Andrew~

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
but not all optical mouse are laser mouse,the lower range are led, right?
is there any logitech laser mouse in that low range?

prankie

D PrankMaster
optical mouse have become dead cheap... i bought one of samsung, 2years ago for abt 450rs... now think what wud be its price now!!!
laser mouse are very costly... i think u've to spend min 2k for an avg. laser mouse..

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
This is a trick which I did while buying an optical mouse. I went to this shop, where there were two guys as shopkeepers. one guy was assisting a customer and so the other guy came to me. he showed me an optical and said the price was 450. so i went to another shop and there they said it was 650. so i came back to this shop to get it for 450.

the guy who was with me at first was just going to the back room for taking something. so i asked the other guy on an impulse what was the price. he looked at the mouse for a sec and replied 350. ROTFLOL I bought it and since that time everytime i go to that shop only the first guy attends me, however busy he is :D

OP
~It_is_Andrew~

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
they were saying the iball laser precise is for 780/-+tax (lowest priced laser mouse); but finally i settled for a basic microsoft optical mouse for 400/-. I hope i didnt take a bad decision.

I have two questions
1)its a usb mouse, do usb mouse have any problem in linux?!
2) I am running it on usb 1.1 port, can that be bad for the mouse or anything?

Last edited:

shanket

Broken In
Not at all andrew....
No your ms should not create any prob in linux if u have the correct drivers installed for it....
1) U can find the drivers for microsoft mouse at the microsoft website... under the hardware sec....

2)It depends if ur ms is compatible with a usb 1.1 port....
If its compatible then u b rest assured that ur mouse will work without any hassel.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom