Web page size ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.

ax3

Cool as a CUCUMBAR ! ! !
whot should b a normal Web page size (width & height) ???

& how do u decide page size ???

tuxfan

Technomancer
Ideal resolution should be 800 x 600. But now people are slowly moving towards 1024 x 768.

Mainly you should take more care about the width. If its more height and the page needs to be scrolled horizontally, its not considered too bad.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Better is to use CSS and define the Height and width of the content in Percentage .. So if your sidebar takes 10% of area, it will be automatically adjusted for people having different resolutions .. This also helps in resizing windows ..

ishaan

Padawan
tuxfan said:
Ideal resolution should be 800 x 600. But now people are slowly moving towards 1024 x 768.

Mainly you should take more care about the width. If its more height and the page needs to be scrolled horizontally, its not considered too bad.

u mean vertically :lol:

crashuniverse

In the zone
well it goes like this.

800x600 size can run on 1024x768 without any problems, and 1024x768 size gives scrollbars when viewed at 800x600 resolution.

so the former is always preferred in serious web designs.the main aspect to be kept in ideal web design is dat u shd't get horizontal scroll bars at all when tested on these both standard resolutions and in both major browsers, IE n firefox.

hope it helps u.

sms_solver

In the zone
make webpage size relative:

5% of page width as left-margin
10% of page width as right-margin

if you don't happy with this setting stict to 800x600

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
I completely agree with batty...that's the best way to go about things.. talking from personal experience :p

go4saket

Well, is there a way from which as soon as the user goes to our web page, his screen resolution is determined by the browser and the webpage for that screen resolution is opened automatically. I understand that for this I will have to make the same web-page for different screen resolution, but that is fine for me.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I agree with batty that its always better to specify widths in %. But at times, it isn't possible due to various factors. For example, every time we sit to make a new template for a site, we have to decide the resolution. So usually we stick to 800x600. In every template, there are always a few visually co-ordinated and sliced images. So its not always possible to use % :(

isaan said:
u mean vertically
:oops: I mistyped. You are right. I meant vertically.

go4saket said:
Well, is there a way from which as soon as the user goes to our web page, his screen resolution is determined by the browser and the webpage for that screen resolution is opened automatically. I understand that for this I will have to make the same web-page for different screen resolution, but that is fine for me.
:shock: So you make the same site twice everytime? :shock: I don't think I will have time or patience to do it! And if client is not willing to pay double for this, I will earn only half of what I can :( Sounds practically difficult.

expertno.1

Technomancer
The best option would be to use CSS and give the area in percentage

however if u r going to make the page 800x600 is ideal

Thanks
Regards.
Expertno.1

sakumar79

Technomancer
I still remember the days when u were advised 640x480 as ideal size../ :D

Generally speaking, as of this date, most common resolution is 800x600. However, when u design a webpage, u have to take into account the targetted audience. As many specify, it is better to use % width in ur html code... For personal webpages that u want ur kith and kin to visit, designing for 800 x 600 will be enough.

Two more things... One important thing is that u try out different resolutions and different browsers to see how ur page gets rendered. Many websites that are designed and verified using IE only end up getting messed up in other browsers (this is usually because of errors in Javascript/CSS, for which IE tends to be much more lenient than other browsers). Second may be important depending on the targetted audience. It is often forgotten that sometimes, audience might be browsing on PDAs - if ur audience has a higher chance of doing this, u must seriously check with various PDA browsers and see how they render...

For most things related to HTML, u can always start at www.w3c.org - the website of the World Wide Web Consortium. They have a good list of links to various HTML-related concepts.

Hope this helps.
Arun

tuxfan

Technomancer
Even if your base resolution is 800x600, you can't design the template at that size. You have to account for the pixels that are taken away by the task bar, scroll bars, tool bars, etc. So the template has to be little lower than 800x600. Only then it will display properly at 800x600.

Best way is to design the template and make a page that displays the jpg of template in a browser. If it fits properly without horizontal scroll bars, its usually right. But I somehow try to keep some part of the template that can be stretched to fit if the page gets displayed at higher resolution ;)

Best thing is to use a mixture of fixed values and % values.

As for CSS, Batty, any other link besides W3Schools? I have already saved it and refer it every now and then, but something more advanced with tips would help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom