Was it Airtel.....Oh boyya ! [Man wrongly detained for 50 days]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArZuNeOs

In the zone
Guys i am not sure whether u have read this

Source:www.theregister.co.uk

Police in India wrongfully arrested and detained a Bangalore man for 50 days after internet service provider Airtel mis-identified him as the person who posted images on Orkut that insulted a revered historical figure.
Lakshmana Kailash K., a 26-year-old techie, was arrested at his home on August 31 and transported to Pune, more than 10 hours away, according to news reports. He was held for 50 days and was released three weeks after police claimed to have apprehended the real people responsible for the posting.
Lakshmana's saga started after someone posted unflattering images of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, who lived in the 17th Century and is credited by many as the founder of the Maratha empire in Western India. Authorities got the poster's IP address of from Google and then paid a visit to Airtel to find out who it belonged to. Airtel fingered Lakshmana.
Google has said repeatedly it has no option but to cooperate with official law enforcement inquiries - such as this case. Indian police are saying it's not their fault for wrongly detaining a man for 50 days. And an Airtel representative was quoted saying the company is "distressed by the severe inconvenience" caused to their customer.

The blame game is already underway. Netaji Shinde, the Assistant Commissioner of Police responsible for the arrest, told local media "We did our investigations on the IP address provided to us by Airtel. It is not our fault and Lakshmana should take Airtel to court and not us."

Unfortunately for Mr Kailash, his case has come too soon to be covered by a proposed law which would ban any US company such as Google from providing such details. The Global Online Freedom Act would make it illegal to hand over identifying information to a foreign official unless the Department of Justice deems it part of legitimate law enforcement. However, the act remains in the congressional committee stage.

===================================================================

I am not criticising AirTel for iam one of its biggest fans ...having availed its services.What i am wanting to say is that no one escapes from mistakes

*www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/06/airtel_wrongful_arrest/

vaithy

In the zone
hello,
obtained the IP addresses or any other addresses is not such simeple tasks by the Police.. the official should obtained the prior permissions from the local magistrate, or he should be higher up, when such request is made , the case immediately transferred to the Top ranking to the Officer in the ISP sidewho has the responsibility to cross check the facts before him and satisfied himself, that the information furnished by the subordinates is correct.. in later day when the Police want as State evidence he is the only one should appear in the court, on behalf of the company..

So, this is avoidable case had the particular Airtel official verified the facts.!! I am very sorry for the kid!!

with regards,
vaithy

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Poor guy.,

I say go sue the asses off the police and airtel. Use the media, some television channel, shout to the whole world, let their reputation take a hit, bloody *****es...

shantanu

Technomancer
what were these guys thinking.. ? these things show the level of our It and telecom industries.. duh.. really nice said a-holes.. (have you seen risky business) ?

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
hey the news is old n it was mentioned on digit forum too though i didnt knew that the mentioned ISP was AIRTEL!!!:mad::mad:

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
int86 said:
Thank God.
I have given wrong address while subscribing to Airtel prepaid.
this is in the case of airtel broadband... and you are talking about Airtel mobile :p :p

anyway the affected consumer should take airtel to court or atleast get a lifetime unlimited 8mbps+ internet connection :D :D

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Come to think of it, is it illegal to post "unflattering images of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj" :-S

narangz

Web developer
Thia proves my point in November's opinion poll. India is not well equipped with cyber crime knowledge & these police-wallahs need a scapegoat.

1. aritel and the police are full of bloody ******ds and A-holes.:mad:

2. @the victim: if you want legal advice, consult me anytime. I am no lawer, but I know Indian law.:cool:

3. how the hell can "posting unflattering images of some historic aristrocrat" be illegal? this is against freedom of expression.:shock:

vaithy

In the zone
Dear MetalheadGautham !!
"how the hell can "posting unflattering images of some historic aristrocrat" be illegal? this is against freedom of expression"
It is the same reason as your quote, that the kid suffer at the hand of law. Don't misquote any...Freedom of speech neither freedom of expression does not offer any such thing whatever you think some other person, you can spoke publicly about him..

Let me explain further.. suppose you think , some body is fool, and tell it confidently to your relative or close friend than it is perfectly alright.. but some how you go to the street and shout what you thought about the 'somebody'.. Now this is not freedom.. because your freedom now crossed the border of decency, and disfigure the name of 'somebody' and in the meantime the somebody has legal recourse against you...

regards
vaithy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom