Warhammer 40000 Discussion

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hi,

This thread is dedicated to all things Warhammer 40k. Games, lore, history, etc. on the expansive Warhammer 40k universe.

For those of you who don't know. Warhammer 40k started out as a tabletop wargame by Games Workshop, with armies comprising of Space Marines, Eldar, Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Necrons, etc. From such humble beginnings, it has snowballed into a massive universe, rich in lore and epic battles, chronicling the spread of humans to the stars and the constant battle of the Emperor of Mankind against the Forces of Chaos, Xenos and Herectics, in order to protect mankind.

More information about the races:

Space Marines
Chaos Space Marines
Eldar
Dark Eldar
Necrons
Orks
Tau
Tyranids
Posted via Mobile Device

Ah. This I've played countless times. Except Dawn of War II. My primary race was the Space Marines. Then turned to Necrons.

I've also watched the Ultramarines movie BTW.

Last edited:

Tachyon1986

In the zone
I've played the original Warhammer series , i.e Warhammer : Shadow of the Horned Rat , Warhammer : Dark Omen.

40k came slightly later than the above.

Oh yeah, here's the first 40K game I played . It was fairly good :

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Liberation

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Well, you guys don't realize that the Warhammer 40k universe is much larger than it is possible to cram into a coupla games. The real meat of the W40k universe is the Codexes of different races, etc, the novels, comics, etc. Which elaborate a lot over the vast expanse of the galaxy in the 41st millenium.

Also, you might not realize, but there are thousands of Space Marine and Chaos Space Marine chapters and not just the Blood Ravens. Each is an offshoot of the 18 (total from the first founding prior to the Horus Heresy) Space Marine legions as founded by the Emperor of Mankind. Each having their own customs, rituals and strategies and tactics. There are tales of how the emperor created 20 superhuman Primarchs to lead these legions, how these were scattered across the warp by chaos, etc etc.

It is a massive universe, even more massive than the Lord of the Rings universe IMHO.

Last edited:
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You can start by reading Horus Rising, it is the first in the Horus Heresy series (more info). The series gives an insight into how and which Space Marine legions turned to chaos and which remained loyal and how Horus (Primarch of the Luna Wolves legion) would change the Imperium of mankind forever.

Also look for the comics Bloodquest, Daemonifuge and Lone Wolves, among many others.

Also look out for various Codices regarding various races, it will give in depth background on them as well as tales of key battles.

Like in the Space Marine codex, I read the tale about a Land Raider named Rynn's Might of the Crimson Fists chapter of Space Marines, narrowly misses a missile which destroys their Chapter Monastery and goes on a solo rampage (without any crew) against the Orks, killing their Warboss in the process. (supporting info).

doomgiver

Warframe
+++BEGIN TRANSMISSION+++
TRANSCRIPT : ALPHA439
SENDER : ASTROPATH PLEISADE
RECIPIENT : CHAMBER LORD MILITANT ULSAAR
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY : ONE DEAD IS A MARTYR, A MILLION DEAD ARE STATISTICS
+++MESSAGE BEGINS+++
Attention!
There have been several reports of growing ignorance of our great Emperor from the thinkdigit sector.
You are charged with making planetfall at the Planet Gamerz of the thinkdigit sector and proceed to illuminate the populace with all due haste.

May the Emperor's light guide you always
+++MESSAGE ENDS+++
+++END TRANSMISSION+++

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
+++BEGIN TRANSMISSION+++
TRANSCRIPT : ALPHA439
SENDER : ASTROPATH PLEISADE
RECIPIENT : CHAMBER LORD MILITANT ULSAAR
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY : ONE DEAD IS A MARTYR, A MILLION DEAD ARE STATISTICS
+++MESSAGE BEGINS+++
Attention!
There have been several reports of growing ignorance of our great Emperor from the thinkdigit sector.
You are charged with making planetfall at the Planet Gamerz of the thinkdigit sector and proceed to illuminate the populace with all due haste.

May the Emperor's light guide you always
+++MESSAGE ENDS+++
+++END TRANSMISSION+++

:agreed:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
You can start by reading Horus Rising, it is the first in the Horus Heresy series (more info). The series gives an insight into how and which Space Marine legions turned to chaos and which remained loyal and how Horus (Primarch of the Luna Wolves legion) would change the Imperium of mankind forever.

Also look for the comics Bloodquest, Daemonifuge and Lone Wolves, among many others.

Also look out for various Codices regarding various races, it will give in depth background on them as well as tales of key battles.

Like in the Space Marine codex, I read the tale about a Land Raider named Rynn's Might of the Crimson Fists chapter of Space Marines, narrowly misses a missile which destroys their Chapter Monastery and goes on a solo rampage (without any crew) against the Orks, killing their Warboss in the process. (supporting info).

Will start with that when i get some time. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think it'd be better if you start with the comics first.

Look for Bloodquest.
Captain of the Blood Angels, Leonatos, was given a weapon called "Encarmine," the "Sword of Belarius," as a prize for his prowess as a warrior and for the accomplishments of his men on the battlefield. However, Garshul the Destroyer, an Ork, manages to capture the weapon, causing Leonatos to be dishonoured and then exiled. He wanders with his fellow soldiers as they try to regain their honour by hunting down the sword. This takes them into the Eye of Terror where they battle the forces of Chaos that control the planet so they can finally regain their treasured weapon and their honour so they could be welcomed back once again amongst their brethren.

Source

I've been having a doubt regarding the game Space Marine. The Forge World Graia, which is invaded by the Orks, happens to be in Segmentum Tempestus, which also happens to contain Deliverance, the homeworld of the Raven Guard, yet, why is it that the Ultramarines come to dispatch the Orks? That too all the way from Macragge, which is in the Ultima Segmentum?

Even towards the end, the Blood Ravens show up, but why no Raven Guard?

doomgiver

Warframe
well, actually, its best to read some of the codexes first, like the imperial guard primer, or the index astartes, or the wh rulebook proper (i'd suggest edition 5, to be uptodate, and not suffer from the horror of looking at 1st edition dreadnoughts)

comics are not canon, they serve to confuse further.

take the case of the dreadnought Tankred, at the damocles gulf crusade, under the black templars.

he single handedly battles a cadre of tau xv88 broadside battlesuits (which have very long range railguns, capable of shredding a tank in a single shot) and comes out the victor.

and that he further defeats a daemon prince WITH A AUTOCANNON.

matt ward would be wiggling so fast in his grave :)

I think it'd be better if you start with the comics first.

Look for Bloodquest.

I've been having a doubt regarding the game Space Marine. The Forge World Graia, which is invaded by the Orks, happens to be in Segmentum Tempestus, which also happens to contain Deliverance, the homeworld of the Raven Guard, yet, why is it that the Ultramarines come to dispatch the Orks? That too all the way from Macragge, which is in the Ultima Segmentum?

Even towards the end, the Blood Ravens show up, but why no Raven Guard?

afaik, the blood ravens are a second/third/whatever founding chapter from the raven guard or the blood angels.

and its not that the chapter in a particular segmentum has to protect it, no other.

that space marine strike force closest to the area will respond the quickest. the space marines were made to be flexible that way.

imagine if the SM's responded to each distress call like the imperium xD

it took well over a year to gather enough men and materials for a small-ish (on imperial scale) war on a tau outpost. (taros campaign)

it usually takes a couple years for any kind of action involving more than a few imperial guard regiments to muster and move out.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
My question about this is: who is founding chapter of the blood ravens? According to the games, we might be led to believe that the Blood Ravens are a loyalist splinter of a Traitor Legion. Your thoughts? And to be honest, the Blood Ravens are a very vanilla chapter. They speak of having 2 squads of Librarians in their First Company, but you can only play with one Librarian at a time.. :p

And my first Warhammer 40000 game i played was Dawn of War.. I fricking loved that game so much that i played Winter Assault, Dark Crusade (the best, IMO) Soulstorm (kinda buggy), Dawn of War 2, Chaos Rising and Retribution followed by Space Marine. Synchronised kills FTW!

doomgiver

Warframe
^^ as i said, forget the games, they are not canon.

er, if they have 2 squads of librarians in their elite, terminator/veteran first company, then they happen to have the most number of psykers for any chapter xD

ok, a brief overview of sm organization :

chapter > company > squad > fire teams

a chapter has roughly 1k serving brothers
each chapter is broken into 10 distinct companies (notable exceptions : space wolves (8 great companies, iirc) and black templars, very weird organization)
1st company : has the chapter master, and his retinue. also has the most experienced warriors. equipped almost entirely with tactical dreadnought armor (terminator armor, yaaay!)
10th company : scout company. inducted marines are made scouts, who prove themselves, or are promoted after enough action

see here for more :
Codex Astartes - Warhammer 40K Wiki - Space Marines, Chaos, planets, and more

PICTURES!!!
*images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/c/ce/CodexOrganisation.jpg

also, forget the codexes, read this :
Space Marines - Warhammer 40K Wiki - Space Marines, Chaos, planets, and more
it has everything and more on the space marines.

sorry, deathmetal, when i first read the wiki, it was still incomplete, so i didnt go back for more :(

Souro_Ray

In the zone
IMO, Space Wolves and Black Templars are the most awesome chapters... They pay no heed whatsoever to the Codex Astartes... At least in terms of number of marines...

doomgiver

Warframe
IMO, Space Wolves and Black Templars are the most awesome chapters... They pay no heed whatsoever to the Codex Astartes... At least in terms of number of marines...

ehh, they have the same number of marines, 1k.
its an imperial sanction, enforced by His Will.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
Check these out:

Black Templars - Lexicanum

Space Wolves - Lexicanum

Not every chapter is as vanilla as the Ultramarines, you know.. :p

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think it is more likely that the Blood Ravens have descended from the Thousand Sons legion. Considering the high number of Psykers, we know that Blood Angels are not very psychically strong, neither are the Raven Guard. However, the Thousand Sons are and the fact that psychic characteristics comes with the Blood Raven gene-seed, makes it all the more likely.

Also, if the games are to be believed, Davian Thule finds proof of the chapters origins. He is so disgusted by it that he destroys every trace of it and vows never to speak of it again, even after he is turned into a dreadnought. So, it proves that they are some splinter of a traitor legion. Not necessarily the Thousand Sons, but most likely it.
Posted via Mobile Device

ehh, they have the same number of marines, 1k.
its an imperial sanction, enforced by His Will.

This might be true of the Black Templars, because they broke up from the Imperial Fists, but the Space Wolves rebelled against the Codex Astartes, so I don't think there is any fixed number of personnel in this chapter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Check these out:

Black Templars - Lexicanum

Space Wolves - Lexicanum

Not every chapter is as vanilla as the Ultramarines, you know.. :p

I think the Salamanders too rejected the Codex Astartes (Not sure), what became of them?
Posted via Mobile Device

take the case of the dreadnought Tankred, at the damocles gulf crusade, under the black templars.

he single handedly battles a cadre of tau xv88 broadside battlesuits (which have very long range railguns, capable of shredding a tank in a single shot) and comes out the victor.

Was it Broadside battlesuits or Crisis suits?

On a side note, I've found Horus Heresy novels in paperback on Flipkart (woot!). No more cellphone reading for me now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Bottom