Wanted:Older editions of Red Hat Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

whim_gen

Journeyman
Hi,
Bought an old system for Rs.3k
Pentium MMX,24 MB RAM,4 gb hdd,Yamaha sound card.
Wanted to install Old version of linux .
Recommend a distro and also the link please
Have already used FC2 et al on a new comp .
Thanks en avance

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Instead of older version go for light linux flavors. I can recommend gentoo with fluxbox as a windows manager or even lighter versions of linux are there called damn small linux distro try any one of these.

*www.damnsmalllinux.org/

ujjwal

Padawan
I completely agree, don't think that newer linux distro's can't run on older hardware, infact they can run just as fast as the older ones. Its only bloated ones like Fedora which come with stuff like Gnome, KDE, and a lot of excess bloat which makes it slow.

My personal recommendation is Vector Linux 4.3, its a fast and easy to use distro, and you wont have problems of packages as it can use slackware 10 packages quite well -

www.vectorlinux.com

Then, you can try slackware or gentoo, both are very fast, though it may take a little patience to get them running at first, its well worth the effort.

The important choice for you is the window manager. Don't go for a bloated Desktop Environment like KDE or Gnome, just stick to a simple Window Manager. I recommend IceWM, it runs fast as hell and has many powerful features. Also you can use fast software like Opera (browser), X Win Commander (File manager), mplayer (media player), Sylpheed-claws (mail client) etc.

Check *users.netwit.net.au/~pursang/lofat.html

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Try Debian SID, u can install only the required pavkages, and yet make it go beautifully well...

Or maybe even u can go 4 Ubuntu.. But, it needs 32 MB ram :(

tuxfan

Technomancer
If after getting all these opinions, you still want older versions of Red Hat, contact me. :)

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
If u can pay for P&H, I can send u RH 7 for free.. :)

Or maybe, even earlier version(dont remember accurately :p )

Cheers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom