want to built autopatcher for linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
don't u think that linux is only for the people who have broadband connection with lots of GB's to spare??

so what the Users without internet?
so don't u think that there should be something like autopatcher which cointains latests updates,patches and soft need for java,flash, win32 codecs

what u say about this project?
is it viable?

praka123

left this forum longback
So @Gary Best of Lux as you are starting this great project.it surely helps ppl with no broadband connxn. :) Maybe Anurag Patil@gnurag can help u on this.

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
do u think that i will be able to do this project??
like i don't have any experince in this field.
i wants u all to
check its if is worth?
there should'nt be a project of same kind running
what kind things do i require for the project?

can u pls guide me

as i am gonna include add non-free soft(flash,jave) as well so what the licencing issues

also i don't want to write the script for it from a start and plan to use exxixting scripts like BUMPS or automatix with little changes

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
@Gary, making autopatcher is very simple for Linux! All u have to do is learn SHELL SCRIPTING! Make individual shellscripts for each package, Mark em in numbers and ask users of their choices of install and what packages they want to install and then execute corresponding shell scripts. As for setting up paths, the answer is again a SHELL SCRIPT. So u may learn SHELL SCRIPT and help noobies here. U may even post it on net and name it something like "Autopatcher by Gary" ;).

But mind that u have to download all dependencies for the corresponding softwares urself. Fedora will have different package types and Ubuntu will have different etc. So u may start with the one installed on ur system. Its not an easy task since u have to take a note of dependencies for each and every package! ANd those are not in 10s but 100s of them or may be more.

So u may start by creating an autopatcher with like 5-6 softwares first. Like Sun java, limewire, xmms-mp3 etc. I can help u if u face errors in shell script. But I'm too busy with mah Exams these days and can't do the good work for atleast 1 month or so.

So Best of Luck n keep up the good work! :)

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Gary, Take the help of @Mediator, @GNUrag + others who know Shell scripting & other stuff.
Java SE is already released under GPLv2. So it's there are no licencing issues!!
For other softwares check their license policies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You will have to be very careful to include all dependancies and also to resolve the cases where there's round dependancy or conflicts.

Last edited:
OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
i am changing the idea a little,

how about a *swift starter* from digitians like autopatcher from neowinians
i say so because its very difficult for one person to take this project. when a community is envoled in it its becuase easy as a pie.

Do forum rules permit this @mehul?? or u have to talk to raboo to confirm

@mediator
thanx u showed the light in dark path that is now i actually know what is do be done.

thanx to prakash kerala & JGuru for licensing advice.

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Gary, That's right. It's very hard for a single person to do a project in Linux unless
he/she knows things thoroughly!!
Better form a team of 4 or 5 persons. And get started.

mehulved

Well we can get a few things started. If a few people team up and are ready to join in we can form an unofficial group from digit.
But if you want digit's name to be officially associated we need to ask FatBeing or Raaabo.

Satissh S

Youngling
Whats with rpm/deb/tgz/ebuild configs?? It wud create more confusion than use. A better bet IMO is restricting to deb and rpm based distros.

Thats quite easy, we can write python scripts or if u want the same auto patcher like interface, we can create using pygtk or pyqt.

We just gotta take care of dependancies. And regarding the building of binaries we must decide to what support we have to build with.. like for building with --enable-* as most deps are rather based on features we add.

The tougher thing would be to maintaining it across several distros.

I'd suggest we use aggressive optimisations and also Intel C Compiler. (ICC for linux is free for personal use)

eddie

El mooooo
Satissh S said:
I'd suggest we use aggressive optimisations and also Intel C Compiler. (ICC for linux is free for personal use)
Wow!!! I never thought about converting my Gentoo system to ICC.
Is it completely compatible with GCC? I mean when I googled, it says it is C++ compiler but what about the code that is written in C and not C++. Will it compile that code as well? If it can, then may be I should image my Gentoo partition and recompile it using ICC :p

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Welcome my friend @Satissh after a long hiatus.
@Eddie, I think the Intel C compiler is compatible with gcc.

eddie

El mooooo
But what does this compatibility mean? If it means that it can compile the C++ code that can be compiled using gcc then ok...but what about the C code? Can anyone confirm whether it works then?

mehulved

I guess rpm's for FC , Suse and Mandriva and deb's for ubuntu to start with should be good. Satissh and eddie can chip in with tgz for slackware and ebuilds for gentoo. And maybe i can lend a helping hand so that I can learn a bit.
To start with we should just cover 2-3 specific distros say FC6, Suse 10.2 and Ubuntu 6.06. As we get going, if we feel we're getting somewhere, we can extend further.
I would say, we should rather not attach it with digit forum. It should be an independant project so many outsiders may feel willing to join in and contribute.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
It's a good idea in fact, but how do you manage the size if you're using a variety of precompiled binaries and it's dependencies ? Why not original source and all dependencies, so that can be used in multiple distros.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Why not use AutoPackage
*autopackage.org/
I dont know much but its supposed to work on all Linux distro's.

Regards...
ray

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Eddie, The Intel C++ Compiler supports both C & C++. Also there is icc/gcc
compatibility. Click here

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
I am ready to work on the project....I know bit of shell scripting.........I am very good in Linux Networking.....I am a RedHat Certified Technitian....I know basics of Databases like Oracle and Mysql.......I also know just the basics of C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, bla bla bla (just how to compile & run simple programs on Linux) but don't worry I can even master them keeping time constraints in mind.....I am doing Engineering in Electronics from Nagpur, Maharashtra, India. I am a final year student. I have my exams from 27th Nov to 12th Dec. Them I am totally free for at least two months......Who so ever becomes the project leader, Just let me know how can i help.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
You can use the EasyUbuntu source code found here to study the way they do it. I think that this can help you in many ways in designing such autopatcher specially for Debian based systems...
I dont know much but its supposed to work on all Linux distro's.

Regards...
ray

Great link...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom