Want an iPhone without AT&T, Wait till 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Found this at Engadget.

Engadget said:
There are carrier exclusivity agreements, and there are carrier exclusivity agreements -- and Apple's iPhone deal must have been pretty sweet for Cupertino to guarantee their new hotness to AT&T and AT&T alone for five friggin years. USA Today reports the supposed half-decade deal precludes Apple from developing a CDMA handset in that time (duh), meaning that if you live in the US and don't want to move to AT&T, it's going to be 2012 before you even have a chance at an iPhone. Better still, Today reports that Cingular's arch-nemesis Verizon is claiming to have an iPhone-killer in the wings. According to Denny Strigl, Verizon CEO, "We do have a very good response in the mill. You'll see that from us in the late summer." It's war, people, make no mistake about it.
Lolz....how many reasons does Apple needs to understand that iPhone is already a failure & will cater to a very small market. :D

1) Doesn't run Windows Mobile/Palm OS so it is not for enterprice.

2) Doesn't allows 3rd party applications

3) Will be available only with AT&T till 2012

4) Is uber costly. The 2 year contract costs a Total of $1400

5) Every new app & game from Apple will require you to pay them.

6) No JAVA MIDP support.

7) Short battery Life, battery cannot be replaced by the users.

8 ) It's 2008, still no 3G support.

9) 2 MP Camera at the cost which is more then Nokia N93i.

Wonder how this will affect indian market in 2008 ? If they relese it vendor locked here in that case it will go the Airtel blackberry way, appeling only to few rich people.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
wtf ... x) man they are screwing it up ... iphone had the potential to do what moto razr did ... (a useless fone becoming a fashion staetement) but now tht also wont happen but no at&t in india so what they saying about india arya call ur buddy el jobso and ask him

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The only thing Apple is good at is making good "looking" UI, no matter how un-productive it is. Same goes with iPhone.

News flash to apple & macboys, in the year 2007 UI alone doesn't makes a software good, unless you are a macboy or you are an american who likes to pay more for inferior things. :D

oh & the other thing apple is good at is marketing there product using El Jobos's RDS

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
gx_saurav said:
The only thing Apple is good at is making good "looking" UI, no matter how un-productive it is. News flash to apple & macboys, in the year 2007 UI alone doesn't makes a software good

I'm willing to bet that u've never used Mac OS X before, or if u have, not for a significant amount of time, if u think that OS X is not productive....

amitava82

MMO Addict
gx_saurav said:
you are an american who likes to pay more for inferior things. :D
Well.. Its the Americans who buy more number of Windows. So r u saying.... :rolleyes:
Abhijit_T said:
I'm willing to bet that u've never used Mac OS X before, or if u have, not for a significant amount of time, if u think that OS X is not productive....
Forget about him.. those r Fan boyish statement...;)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Abhijit_T said:
I have been using Mac OS since MacOS 9 days & right now I go to my nearest Apple shop every day to work on it. :D

(check in fight club)
Mehul said:
OMG! Have I been sleeping for a year or what? All my plans have gone haywire now :sad:

I have mentioned above, this doesn't affect Indian market.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
Abhijit_T said:

@Abhijit,

Best way to answer these guys is to ignore them and their meaning less posts. :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
1) Thank God! I, and most other people who will buy this phone, would not have it any other way. They only reason I would buy this expensive phone is that it runs OS X. I have not bought an iPod even though I am an Apple fan because it does not run OS X.

2) No use saying it again and again to a person who moves two steps forward and then five steps back.

3) We are not in America so it does not matter to us anyway. And even in America, people are making such a huge deal because it is an Apple product and everyone wants to lay their hands on one. However, they cannot if they do not switch to AT&T. So everyone is riled about this. But it is very common for phones to be locked to carriers in the US of A. At least, Apple is leveraging on that partnership and doing something innovative by giving visual voicemail. No other phone company has ever been able to influence phone carriers in the US, not even Nokia. This is Steve Jobs we are talking about.

4) No, the phone costs $499 and &599. That's it. You cannot include the cost of your babysitting in the phone's price.

5) LOL! Refer to the second answer.

6) Who told you that? Oh yeah, it's a rumour. Great! Keep believing the rumours, you don't understand anything about what is happening in reality anyway.

7) Short battery life! You have used the phone already?

8) Oh, it is 2008! WOW! I have heard about time running fast, but this is insane. As for the lack of 3G, Steve Jobs expressly stated that a 3G version of the phone is in the pipeline. This is a first generation product. But anyway, let us concede one point. (Oh, and BTW, "It's 2008, still no 3G support" in India either so why are you grumbling about it!)

9) I don't care if it does not even have a camera. You do not buy phones to snap pictures on your picnic outings. We have these devices they call cameras for that task. And it does not really matter to the business executives anyway.

At the end of the day, it is not Apple but you who have no idea who this phone is for. It is not for businessmen with boring offices full of boring computers running boring Windows. It is for people who like style and class, have used a Mac and are willing to pay for a good experience. They may or may not be businessmen. It is not relevant.

And since looks do matter today, I think a phone that has a Bluetooth headset that looks better than every phone in the world (not just the Bluetooth headsets) is going to sell spectacularly well.

mehulved said:
OMG! Have I been sleeping for a year or what? All my plans have gone haywire now :(
gx_saurav said:
I have mentioned above, this doesn't affect Indian market.
Never mind, English has never been your forte. (Neither has anything else, but English is a major sore thumb with you.)

Abhijit_T said:
You seem to be new around these parts. Well, you'll soon learn which guys to avoid. He and his mates have discovered a major flaw in Mac OS X (and one of them saw it as important enough to advertise it in his signature): Mac OS X does not allow you to cut files when moving them between drives. :lol: WOW, what a crap OS!

aceman

Broken In
aryayush said:
1) Thank God! I, and most other people who will buy this phone, would not have it any other way. They only reason I would buy this expensive phone is that it runs OS X. I have not bought an iPod even though I am an Apple fan because it does not run OS X.!

And shall i also assume that you have looked at the OS-X source tree then ? what a nOOb answer!!!!!!!!!!
Listen the architecture which is great for a desktop PC is ill-suited for a Embedded system and is one of the reasons MS wrote the entire source tree for Wince for scratch.
For example take a direct show framework, It looks like it is a sub-set of the Windows XP frmework but the code base was completely re-written for the new architecture and thus supports only a fraction of it's desktop brethern.
In the same way what power's the iPhone can only be a tailored version of the Os-X for the new device since the HAL,Device Driver framework,Peripherals...........etc are different.
To quote another example, let us take up the windowing sub-system.
You just do not have the Power of all the dedicated GPU's but only have a few bit-blt,line drawing.......etc in your LCD controller.Then

a)You need a new display driver model.
b)If you have a new display driver model your GWES goes for a spin
c)If GWES goes for a spin the middle ware gets shot at
d)if middle ware gets affected then......... (well you get the picture).

Now this only the display, if the hard-drive is replaced by a Flash (you need a FAL) then your file system management goes for a spin, and if you keep changing everything then you have a basically a new OS.There can never be full desktop compatablity between both the OS-X flavors.
Thus comparing OS-X on the iPhone with its desktop brother OS-X is like comparing WinCe with Windows XP ( Not that I assume that you know the difference between these anyway) and saying that both are windows and thus should be the same.
Learn some OS concepts first.

aryayush said:
2) No use saying it again and again to a person who moves two steps forward and then five steps back.

And somehow, apple not provding support for third party apps is supposed to be good ( How pathetic these mac boys get ::) ).Remember the Mac was defeated by Windows for precisely the same reason like the iPhone but then the macheads never liked history lesson anyway.
To see what Third party apps can do for a embedded device , see the silver light demo for WM and you get picture.

aryayush said:
3) We are not in America so it does not matter to us anyway. And even in America, people are making such a huge deal because it is an Apple product and everyone wants to lay their hands on one. However, they cannot if they do not switch to AT&T. So everyone is riled about this. But it is very common for phones to be locked to carriers in the US of A. At least, Apple is leveraging on that partnership and doing something innovative by giving visual voicemail. No other phone company has ever been able to influence phone carriers in the US, not even Nokia. This is Steve Jobs we are talking about.
I am not able to make any sense out of this, anyway who needs Visual E-Mail when you can do VOIP in a mobile (Yep this is comming).

aryayush said:
4) No, the phone costs $499 and &599. That's it. You cannot include the cost of your babysitting in the phone's price.
And I presume that you would buy and give me a Un-Locked phone for for $499 without any sh**ty data plane.If you do this then you are my best buddy (Hey I can sell this in version in Amazon and make quite a good profit).But then an Un-Locked iPhone will be at least $150 more which means , I can basically go for a iPhone insted of a HD TV. (But hey it is mac and we need to give money to steve jobs right ?)

aryayush said:
5) LOL! Refer to the second answer.
And what so so great in that answer ? Why should apple make money for the App which I write ?

aryayush said:
6) Who told you that? Oh yeah, it's a rumour. Great! Keep believing the rumours, you don't understand anything about what is happening in reality anyway.
It is not the windows guys who live in a dream since we are not the one to get carried away by a fancy UI and buy some device just because it looks cool.We will wait and see till it releases.

aryayush said:
7) Short battery life! You have used the phone already?
One of speciality is Power management in Windows Ce/Mobile and Linux devices and I have personally designed power management fpr some Windows Mobile reference designs.Unless apple has/had some breakthough in material science the phone will have a poor battery life.
For example do you know the power cosuption of a TFT Screen (with and without backlight), Power taken by a NAND flash controller........etc.Calculate everything then you will know the power requirements.Even with all the PM support WM devices are still plaged by poor battery life, lets see what apple comes up with.

aryayush said:
8) Oh, it is 2008! WOW! I have heard about time running fast, but this is insane. As for the lack of 3G, Steve Jobs expressly stated that a 3G version of the phone is in the pipeline. This is a first generation product. But anyway, let us concede one point. (Oh, and BTW, "It's 2008, still no 3G support" in India either so why are you grumbling about it!)
In europe,taiwan,korea (basically rest of the world except USA) are in 3G, try convincing them to buy this.

aryayush said:
9) I don't care if it does not even have a camera. You do not buy phones to snap pictures on your picnic outings. We have these devices they call cameras for that task. And it does not really matter to the business executives anyway.
You may not (being a mac guy this not entirelly expected), but all the OEM's I had spoken with wanted better Capture Interface and Nokia N-series/Sony cybershot will not sell if not for a camera.
Whether you like or not Good Camera in a mobile sells now a days.

aryayush said:
At the end of the day, it is not Apple but you who have no idea who this phone is for. It is not for businessmen with boring offices full of boring computers running boring Windows. It is for people who like style and class, have used a Mac and are willing to pay for a good experience. They may or may not be businessmen. It is not relevant.
And let me re-write what I undestood about the above statement "This iPhone is for Apple Fanboys, Rich kids with money to spend, Fashion guys who do no usefull work anyway and not for hard working professionals, people who want value for money and want a phone as a desktop replacement and these guys should go with WM" .And guess what I prefer targetting the phone for 80% users than 5% of users.
Wait isn't this senario same as the desktop story ::).

I would like to repeat what I said, the only thing great about the iPhone is the UI and this is the most easiest thing to copy.People want expandability, compatabilty and bang for buck in their phones and nothing beats Wince/Mobile combo here.

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I will not bother replying to another idiot who skipped elementary English classes but I have to reply to your last comment:

aceman said:
the only thing great about the iPhone is the UI and this is the most easiest thing to copy
Yeah, Microsoft has been trying to do that for the past twenty years and Windows is still nowhere close to Mac OS X when it comes to the user interface. So, either it is not "the most easiest [sic] thing to copy" or Microsoft has a hard time doing even the easy things - or both.

aceman said:
I have personally designed power management fpr some Windows Mobile reference designs
Do you work for Microsoft?

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Acemen seems like a Windows CE developer. Good to have u here in the forum

aryayush said:
I will not bother replying to another idiot who skipped elementary English classes but I have to reply to your last comment:
here here arya, we know you know "typing" english better then us. You got system wide spell check while we have to rely on our brains to type properly. Damn we windows users :D

Hey arya..... news flash, written english is not spoken english.

Yeah, Microsoft has been trying to do that for the past twenty years and Windows is still nowhere close to Mac OS X when it comes to the user interface. So, either it is not "the most easiest [sic] thing to copy" or Microsoft has a hard time doing even the easy things - or both.
:D How good & cluttered the Mac UI is ...well every one see the screenshots in Fight club section. Phone agent 1.26 follows every Apple UI guidelines & has 3 windows, while My Phone explorer has everything unified under one Window of the main aplication.

K

krazyfrog

One thing i know, that despite all its short comings, iPhone won't become a failure as gx says. Even iPod had great shortcomings when it was launched (it stills has some). But that hasn't stopped being massive success. And its not just the mac boys who bought it. Everyone did. Same will happen with iPhone. It might not deserve being a success because of its lack of important features and high price tag. But some people go beyond spec sheets and price tags. And these r the people who usually buy apple stuff

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
krazyfrog said:
One thing i know, that despite all its short comings, iPhone won't become a failure as gx says. Even iPod had great shortcomings when it was launched (it stills has some). But that hasn't stopped being massive success. And its not just the mac boys who bought it. Everyone did. Same will happen with iPhone. It might not deserve being a success because of its lack of important features and high price tag. But some people go beyond spec sheets and price tags. And these r the people who usually buy apple stuff
You are forgetting one most importent thing. When iPod came it was a new concept. There were not many digital audio players with such a small form factor & ease of use, though it did lacked features it was good enough to give iPod a head start

Come to iPhone, just think of one thing. Is it providing any new feature? Nokia N95 is out there at about same cost (in USA) & it provides far more features. It even has a video encoding application for it. :D. N95 isn't the only one. W880i, K810i, MOTOROKR, & numuras HTC Windows Mobile phones. There are so many phones out there which beat iPhone in features.

The only thing good with iPhone is the touch screen UI, but UI fades in 4 days for most of the people if the device isn't working the way they want to. Buy an iPhone & in 1 month you will feel short of the things you can do on it compared to a symbian or Windows Mobile Phone.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
Hey arya..... news flash, written english is not spoken english.
LOL! Stop with the lame ass comments already. I suppose a person well versed with how to write proper English suddenly loses all his skill when he tries to speak. :lol:

Oh, I am sure you speak better English than I do! :rolleyes:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ah as i said the iphone had the potential to do a razr in the market but it wont be able to

and krazy the reason for ipods success is coz it supports windows & is an easy to use pmp though its got major flaws like the mac os x but then again cant expect anything more from a company which doesnt even know how to add a cut option :D

coming back to the topic iphone wud have been better off without being sim locked now u have to stick to 1 service provider means if u r using ne other change ur no. and that is 1 of the biggest headaches

iphone wen it was launched i was a big fan i still am and wud buy it but if they lock themselves with reliance or a specific provider to hell with itand as far 3g is concerned if there is a 3g version in the pipeline and jobs has said so why does he expect ppl to buy this 1 :?

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
iMav said:
and krazy the reason for ipods success is coz it supports windows & is an easy to use pmp though its got major flaws like the mac os x but then again cant expect anything more from a company which doesnt even know how to add a cut option :D
The first year when iPod was released it as a Mac only product & failed miserably. Then El Jobso's eyes opened & he saw a Window :D, he made a deal with Music Match so that iPod can be used with PC & Windows, & then only it became a success. Mind you 98% of iPod users are WIndows users.

iphone wen it was launched i was a big fan i still am and wud buy it but if they lock themselves with reliance or a specific provider to hell with itand as far 3g is concerned if there is a 3g version in the pipeline and jobs has said so why does he expect ppl to buy this 1 :?
He wants people to buy this, & then the 3G version again. 2 iPhones are better then one :D (For El Jobso's pockets)

Oh, I am sure you speak better English than I do! :rolleyes:

Those who know me....well. you got the point.

K

krazyfrog

You people are going on about the lack of features in iPhone. But you guys are forgetting its an Apple product and Apple products don't need features to sell. They never did. Good looks and the Apple logo is all that it needs and and the iPhone has it in spades. Just look at the Shuffle. What does it have? Nothing! Still people buy it. Same people will buy the iPhone. People who like us don't care about the available (or missing) features. Or what the competition is offering. Its these people who will buyit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom