waiting for 2am to start downloading??? sleep cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_pant

In the zone
FOR DATAONE USERS
hey i recently figured out a method to start my bittorrent downloads automatically at 2am and end at 8am.......i'll tell u how to schedule the dial up and schedule a shutdown.....
i know many of u wake up at night destroy ur sleep just to be happy in the happy hours of BSNL Dataone........ ok now u can sleep cool.... here is how to schedule it......

STEP 1: fire up notepad, paste "rasdial <connection name> <Username> <password>"
eg. rasdial dataone_broadband mario_pant mario
this is the format... i mean without "" and <>
connection name is the name u see on the dialer...
now, save the file as "dialup.bat" in a new folder (eg. c:/dataone_sched)
just to make sure u dont overwrite something

STEP 2: make another file named "disconnect.bat" and type in it "rasdial /disconnect" (there is a space between rasdial and /disconnet and no "") and save it in that directory as the first file....

STEP 3:Goto Start>All Programs>Accesories>System Tool>Scheduled Tasks
when opened click on "Add scheduled task" click next (it will hang for a moment or two) then a list of progs will be displayed.. don't panic that ur files arn't listed.... click on browse and point to the dialup.bat file..... then set the schedule by following the instructions.... do the same for disconnect... give the time values correctly (ie. in my case 2:10AM to 7:50AM....the BSNL clock is 2 mins behind)......

STEP 4:"add scheduled task"> then chose the prog u wish to run from the list and follow the instructions....

in my case i use azureus.... azureus just starts up and starts downloading..... make sure u leave ur computer on or otherwise select "wake up compy to comp. this task" in the bottom of advanced settings....

if u use azureus the n make sure u check for updates before sleeping other wise if u make azureus start later it make ask for an intruction on updating if it fonds an update... another alternative is that u leave azureus on and just schedule the dialup and disconnect.......
actually this method is a bit insecure as ur username and password is displayed clearly in the .bat file..... but anyways this does the trick.....
make sure htat the torrent u want to download is on the red smiley when u are disconnected and eave the computer...... this method will definitely work on winXP...... can't say anything about the other OS......
Happy Downloading and a Sound Sleep

PS:DO TEST THE DIALUP AND DICONNECT SCHEDULING FIRST WITH AN INTERVAL OF ONE MINUTE OR SO JUST TO CHECK THAT THE DIALUP AND DISCONNECT ARE WOKING PROPERLY...... U CAN THEN RESCHEDULE THEM LATER!!!

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
mann..... dialip bill?? dont u know that dataone is free in the happy hours ie. 2am to 8am??...... they do not charge that data transfer!

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
may be in disconnect u have to use "rasdial <connection name> /disconnect". The one suggested by mario didnt work for me, so i searched the net in college and found the above mentioned method, though not sure about this. will try wen i reach home.

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
ok ok..... please tell which windows are u using??

cause the command i specified will terminate ALL active connections and works pretty well for me.... but please gemme the specifications of ur box....

T

thunderbird.117

are u sure bsnl dataone dont charge 2am to 8am.i got a bill of rs.15000.can u believe it

anubhav_har

In the zone
i dont think so they charge so the free downloads since i receieved my august 2005 bill and their was nothing absurd in it...

goobimama

 Macboy
As in, I have a username "Alvareses" but I don't have a password for it. Do I have to create a password too?

goobimama

 Macboy
Okay, here's the problem. In the task properties, one must select "Run only if logged on" otherwise it doesn't work..

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
u have to keep ur comp logged on... for that just make sure u uncheck take to logon screen after screensaver in disp properties.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom