voice chat issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
hi folks ....
i m posting here after a long long time .. hope all of u are fine ...

well, i v been facing issues with voice chat over gtalk/yahoo for a long time now.
here is how it goes. i have a realtek sound card in my system and i have a 128 kbps net connection (PC is Pentium D 2.66Ghz)

my friends in UK n US have similar systems and have a good net speed (1-2Mbps).

wat i speak form here is audible clearly to them but what they speak loops 2-3 times and i hear only an echo with voice breaking in between. note that i close my outlook n firefox so as to giv max bandwidth to the voice chat application. also note that my external speakers are always off during voice chat and i use only the headfone n mike

another interesting point is if i play some song in WMP or real player the song is audible to the other person thru voice chat.
thinking this to be the culprit, i turned the "line in" to MUTE but still the issue persists (both with voice chat n the song being audible to the other person thru voice chat)

My other friends here in india with much slower and net connections (both wired and wireless) are able to voice chat without a fuss.
i brought my friends reliance fone (which he uses with his PC for voice chat) to my house to chk, but still the issue persits meaning that it is not a problem with my net connection.

thanks for your time ....

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
iinfi said:
i have a realtek sound card in my system and i have a 128 kbps net connection (PC is Pentium D 2.66Ghz)

my friends in UK n US have similar systems and have a good net speed (1-2Mbps). ....

is it the same when you try to chat with ur friends in India?

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Is your 128Kbps line shared? What is your upload bandwidth? Because if your freinds are able to hear you clearly, it means that your upload stream is doing it's job and your friends downstream is doing well, but if you have problems hearing them, either you are having a constrained download bandwidth or your friends have a constrained upload bandwidth. I guess you are not getting the advertised 128Kbps download bandwidth which often is the case. Please run a few speed tests on different servers using different sites and see what your average download speed is.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I can see that you have done most of the trouble shooting yourself , but still this is a unique problem, you internet connection is not the problem. a screwed up driver or your realtec settings may also be the problem. Please check by updating the audio drivers and also by changing the mic or connecting the mic/headset to the rear connectors. I guess you would have already done these :) .

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I think I have the solution. The key point you mentioned is what you play in your player is heard by them. This only happens when you select the recording source as the mixer. Do the following
1. Double click on the volume control icon near your clock
2. Go to options, and in that click recording and give ok
3. Check mic and set it to about 80% and uncheck everything else

That's it

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
@Cyrus_the_virus: thanks for your help. bandwidth is not an issue. :)

@Charan: i have already tried the steps u mentioned. no success :)

@NucleusKore: well buddy i think u mite have something for me. i was fiddling with the settings which u have mentioned jus b4 i posted here.
well under recording i have "mic" and another option called "Front Mic" which one do u want me to check. wat abt the others. sud i MUTE them?

thanks everyone..

NucleusKore

TheSaint
iinfi said:
@NucleusKore: well buddy i think u mite have something for me. i was fiddling with the settings which u have mentioned jus b4 i posted here.
well under recording i have "mic" and another option called "Front Mic" which one do u want me to check. wat abt the others. sud i MUTE them?

thanks everyone..

Best solution
check mic mute others, go to start->all programs->accessories->entertainment->soundrecorder
try recording your voice and listen to the playback

then try with front mic

you'll find the right one :D

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
@NucleusKore

thanks for your help man. i chatted with my friend today n the voice from/at both ends was crystal clear. will check it again today n over the weekend and post the results.
thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom