Voice Chat in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hi friends , I was using Google talk in windows for the last one week and was really enjoying as all my friends use it and we talk every night using it. now , yesterday I installed Ubuntu 6.10 and found there is no google talk for linux. Is there any way that I can talk with my friends using ubuntu. I mean they using google talk and I using Linux with a software so that I can voice chat with my friends ???/
hey Guys , I m also facing one more problem in ubuntu , the firefox gets closed automatically after random time. and then when I reopen FF , it says new session or restore session ??? restore session again closes the FF and new session dont last long. whats the problem ????

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I don't know if it is possible to have voice chat over GTalk in linux. But, skype surely does work. Why don't you'll use that. Unless google makes a client for Linux until then we will have to look at existing solutions.
Open firefox by typing 'firefox' in the terminal and see what error message does it give when exiting.

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
either use ekiga (dont know if it has a windows version) or skype. skype rulez. i dont think u can use GAIM for voice chat.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Get Tapioca, it supports Gtalk completely amongst others.
*tapioca-voip.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Tapioca

Also, for the Firefox problem, try deleting your profile and create a new one. Also, do list your extensions to us so we can see what is the problem with.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@qwertymaniac , tapioca download not available . which extensions r u talking about ???

will skype work in sync with Gtalk ??

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
I opened the firefox via terminal and recorded the error msg on closing :
xxxx@xxxx-desktop:~$ firefox

The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
(Details: serial 118 error_code 8 request_code 144 minor_code 3)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
xxxxx@xxxxx-desktop:~$

mehulved

Browse these and see if any solution is available
*www.mail-archive.com/universe-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com/msg07321.html
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1772099
Just google with your error message you will get lot more.
It would be good if you revert to ubuntu 6.06 as 6.10 is, to say in their words, too edgy.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@mehul , I couldnt find the solution in those links. I have shifted to epiphany and its working just fine for me.

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Phenom, Maybe it's a bug in FireFox. You can send a bug report to Mozilla.
Also include the detailed error message. They will fix the problem.

praka123

left this forum longback
for a quick n dirty solution,just move ur /home/user/.mozilla directory to somewhere else and try again!

mehulved

Seems this is a problem with flash plugin. See this *launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/68911
BTW, do you have 64 bit ubuntu installed?

Last edited:
OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
yes mehul , this is a problem with flash plugin coz whenever I visit some site/page having flash , it closes . should I install or uninstall this plugin ??? I dont remember when I installed this plugin. how can I install / uninstall this plugin????
No i dont have 64 bit ubuntu.

mehulved

OK it's got nothing to do with 64-bit, I had misunderstood.
I don't know what's the status of that bug for now. But, till then you will have to stick with some alternate browser. And if possible, install dapper and remove edgy. Edgy isn't something you should start with.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@mehul , I love to use bleeding edge technolgy. The problem is solved. The solution I used is:
I changed the DefaultDepth from 16 to 24 in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Just tell me if this tweak will have any bad effect on my system.

mehulved

Yeah that's one of the solution given in the thread. My mistake to overlook it. But, well if you really want to get to the root of linux don't go for cutting edge distro, go for slackware. Believe me you'll learn a lot. But, the catch is that you will have to spend a good amount of time reading docs. Few of those docs have been mentioned by me in the sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom