VMware or Virtualbox or Qemu or Microsoft Virtual PC... which supports beryl

Status
Not open for further replies.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
among this four virtualisation softwares VMware / Virtual Box / Qemu / Microsoft Virtual PC

1. ) which one supports beryl ?

2. ) which software works faster ?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
AFAIK, none support Beryl. VirtualBox and Qemu are basically the same thing, and they are the fastest, then comes VMWare and in the end Virtual PC.

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
kalpik said:
AFAIK, none support Beryl. VirtualBox and Qemu are basically the same thing, and they are the fastest, then comes VMWare and in the end Virtual PC.
virtualbox and qemu are same ??... they are different re... just now checked.... which is faster among both ???? coz i need to stick to faster one ;)

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yup, VirtualBox is based on Qemu. Though both VirtualBox and Qemu dont support as many OSs as VMware.

praka123

left this forum longback
Isnt it *wise* to run ur window$ from virtual machine on GNU/Linux rather than running Linux in virtual machine from Window$? :D
anybody tried Xen?
Windows as guest

It is currently possible to run Microsoft Windows as a guest operating system unmodified, using hardware virtualization provided by Intel's Vanderpool technology or AMD's Pacifica. This is supported beginning with Xen 3.0.

During the development of Xen 1.x, Microsoft Research, along with the University of Cambridge Operating System group, developed a port of Windows XP to Xen. This was possible due to Microsoft's Academic Licensing Program. The terms of this license do not allow this port to be published, although the experience is documented in the original Xen SOSP paper.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen_%28virtual_machine_monitor%29#Windows_as_guest

imatrixshiv

Right off the assembly line
praka123 said:
Isnt it *wise* to run ur window$ from virtual machine on GNU/Linux rather than running Linux in virtual machine from Window$? :D
anybody tried Xen?
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen_%28virtual_machine_monitor%29#Windows_as_guest

let me first tell u,i am completely new to the topic .:eek:
i want to have linux environment in windows. is vmware best for this job ?:rolleyes:
i dont know any other softwares of that type . vmware was recomended by a friend. and as i told u guys i am completely new!
please help!:)

mediator

Technomancer
Yes, u can try VMWARE on Windows for using Linux. BUT in my experience u need a good RAM >= 512 MB and a good processor.
My aging PC has 512 MB RAM and 2.4 GHz speed. Since windows is itself is a resource hog, I had to switch off many services and apps to make VMWARE work nicely and smoothly!! I guess a duo-core wud do fine and then allocate static space for ur guest OS if u need more speed.

BTW, if u just want to learn commandlines and see Beryl then download the latest Knoppix edition and have phun!!

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
mediator said:
Yes, u can try VMWARE on Windows for using Linux. BUT in my experience u need a good RAM >= 512 MB and a good processor.
My aging PC has 512 MB RAM and 2.4 GHz speed. Since windows is itself is a resource hog, I had to switch off many services and apps to make VMWARE work nicely and smoothly!! I guess a duo-core wud do fine and then allocate static space for ur guest OS if u need more speed.

BTW, if u just want to learn commandlines and see Beryl then download the latest Knoppix edition and have phun!!

u didnt get me i was asking can beryl run in virtualisation, and i'm already using virtual box. for running linux on windows... i wanted to enquire whether is their any other virtual software which run linux more smoothly on windows.

mediator

Technomancer
vish786 said:
u didnt get me i was asking can beryl run in virtualisation, and i'm already using virtual box. for running linux on windows... i wanted to enquire whether is their any other virtual software which run linux more smoothly on windows.
I wasn't replying to u but to @matrixshiv.

About beryl on vmware => I dunno! I found this though *answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070420232326AAZhnxO

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
imatrixshiv said:
let me first tell u,i am completely new to the topic .:eek:
i want to have linux environment in windows. is vmware best for this job ?:rolleyes:
i dont know any other softwares of that type . vmware was recomended by a friend. and as i told u guys i am completely new!
please help!:)
Beginner’s Guide: Run Linux like any other program in Windows

Run Existing Windows Installation on Ubuntu with Vmware Player

Wait...there is more...

Enabling Accelerated 3-D for a Virtual Machine

Subrata Bera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom