VLC Media Player unable to play AMR files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hello!
I have always had the impression that VLC Media Player can play ANY media file in the world...till now. It turns out I was a bit mistaken. It cannot play AMR files, the format used by most mobile phones to record sound. RealPlayer can play it but VLC can't. Is there any plug-in/codec/workaround to make VLC play AMR files?

shovik

Banned
Re: VLC Media Plyer unable to play AMR files?

AMR files can be played in apple's quick time player. try it...

outlaw

De@d

damn ; u are right i cant play amr !!!! vlc can play cd images but cant play amr unbelievable!!!!!!

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz

outlaw said:
damn ; u are right i cant play amr !!!! vlc can play cd images but cant play amr unbelievable!!!!!!
I've been using vlc for such a long time but hadn't noticed this. I've installed Nokia PC software suite & it had been handling amr files.

outlaw

De@d

me too...

my fav player is windows media player cuz of da ease of use ,look and feel;

i resort to VLC whenever WMP cant play files

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief

aryayush said:
Hello!
I have always had the impression that VLC Media Player can play ANY media file in the world...till now. It turns out I was a bit mistaken. It cannot play AMR files, the format used by most mobile phones to record sound. RealPlayer can play it but VLC can't. Is there any plug-in/codec/workaround to make VLC play AMR files?
Hehe, it doesnt play RM either.

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz

QwertyManiac said:
Hehe, it doesnt play RM either.
RM is a commercial protocol designed my Real Networks. So only they can build a decoder for that protocol. No one else can build that.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting

take a look at here...

*www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

details about whats supported and what is not (known to them)

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..

AMR files are played if Nokia Media Player is installed but no sound will be there. The video will be displayed.

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz

it_waaznt_me said:
AMR files are played if Nokia Media Player is installed but no sound will be there. The video will be displayed.
It's because AMR is an audio format

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief

webgenius said:
RM is a commercial protocol designed my Real Networks. So only they can build a decoder for that protocol. No one else can build that.
So isnt Quicktime MOVs the same too? They play if they are.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

Yeah 3gp files audio isn't played cos 3gp uses amr for audio most of the time, or maybe always, AFAIK cos that's what I came across while using ffmpeg to convert videos to 3gp.

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz

QwertyManiac said:
So isnt Quicktime MOVs the same too? They play if they are.
What you are saying is correct. My guess is that real protocol is patented. So noone can use it. Not so sure about quicktime *.mov format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom