Vista won't load after XP Reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

d

Journeyman
ahh... i'd installed Vista on an XP machine and was used to getting the Vista/XP boot up option screen. now XP crashed and I had to do a clean reinstall, but it was on a different partition from Vista. But now I cant see the boot loader screen of vista, and i dont have any way to start up vista even though the files are intact. how do i get that screen back?

thanks in advance.

gaurav_indian

CG Artist
It's the same for Win 2000 Prof also if you install Win 2000 Prof on a system where Windows XP is also installed then Win 2000 Prof will install successfully but you will lose your Windows XP.

OP
D

d

Journeyman
thanks y'll, but i was lookin for an option without having to re-install vista :-(.. i'll lose all my settings there.. its only the boot loader, isnt it? boot.ini or something.. couldnt i modify that? or create a new boot.ini with the required commands?

hemant_mathur

-- No Easter Eggs here --
vista dowsn't use boot.ini ... i think it uses bcdedit.exe ... i dont know how it works but try running the setup again and choose recovery options there should be something to fix the boot records.

go to command and write bootcfg
if it shows windowsvista and windows xp then there is a way to repair it

else u need to install windows vista again...also try this..might can help u

To use the bootcfg command, start the Recovery Console with the Windows XP CD-ROM, and then click Recovery Console. Or, install the Recovery Console locally, and then select the command from the Boot menu.

The bootcfg command has the following uses:
The bootcfg /default command sets the default operating system option in the Boot menu. The command selects the operating system entry automatically.
The bootcfg /add command scans the computer for Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP (if it is dual booting) installations, and then displays the results. From this location, you can add an installation to the Boot menu.

You may receive a message that is similar to the following message:
Scanning all disks for Windows Installations
Please wait, since this may take a while...

Total Identified Windows Installs: 2

[1] C:\Windows
[2] D:\Windows

Select installation to add: (select a number)

Enter Load Identifier: (Custom description for an operating system loading from the Boot menu)
Enter Operating System Load Options: (that is: /fastdetect)
This process adds a new entry in the Boot menu. When you add an installation, the bootcfg command also makes the installation the default operating system boot entry.
• The bootcfg /rebuild command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP installations, and then displays the results. You can add the detected Windows installations.

Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):
Enter Load Identifier: (Custom description for an operating system loading from the Boot menu)

Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):
• The bootcfg /scan command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 or Windows XP installations, and then displays the results.

Scanning all disks for Windows Installations
Please wait, since this may take a while...

• The bootcfg /list command reads the Boot.ini file, and then displays the operating system identifier, the operating system load options, and the operating system location (path).

Total entries in boot list: 2

[1] Microsoft Windows Whistler Professional
Operating System Load Options: /fastdetect
Operating System Location: D:\Windows

[2] Microsoft Windows Whistler Server
Operating System Load Options: /fastdetect
Operating System Location: C:\Windows
• The bootcfg /redirect command enables redirection in the boot loader with the configuration specified as port and baudrate. This command is used to turn on the Headless Administration feature.

The following example uses this command:
bootcfg /redirect com1 115200
bootcfg /redirect useBiosSettings
• The bootcfg /disableredirect command disables redirection in the boot loader with the configuration specified as port and baudrate. This command is used to turn off the Headless Administration feature.

check it here for more
*support.microsoft.com/kb/291980/

OP
D

d

Journeyman
thanks neeraj.. i tried it out.. but bootcfg/add isnt there.. there's no such option.. i'll continue working on it .. meanwhile.. if anyone finds out anythin.. please post.. i just dont want to go through the hassle of installing vista again..

is it wierd that none of the options displayed in the bootcfg knowledge base entry in the microsoft site works for me? it appears to have an entirely different set of commands..

Last edited:

balasanjeevi.b

Right off the assembly line
Dude try this it might work
In Mandrake Linux Installation CD's, I found the boot loader utililty of a similar kind what you are asking for a long back but i dont remember the exact functionality of the utility.
you can try sth with that...
By the way our configuration peels my skin off...
nice one sorry great one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom