Vista ultimate BSOD crashing on 4GB ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Vista ultimate BSOD crashing on 4GB ram Nvidia driver problems

I added another 2 gb of same ram Vista is giving BSOD, it boots fine without any error as I start working on any application it crashes. I tested the 2 pair of ram & if I use 2gb only both pair work with vista & memtest 3.3 ran for 100% without detecting anyerrors, so ram is not faulty.

My system specs is as follows
E6300@1.86Ghz,
P5B-Dlx Wifi, BIOS 1101 at default setting
4GB Transcend DDR2 800Mhz,
*www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2882705&CatId=2033#detailspecs
XFX 7600GT,
Lenovo 20"Widescreen LCD,
Seagate SATA2 HDD160/250/320GB,
Sony DVDRW,
APC UPS 800VA

Following is what I tried but nothing has solved the problem

1. I updated the nvidia driver to latest 162.18 (32bit vista)

2. chnaged the page file size from automange to manual 600-1800mb

3. I updated vista with KB940105 mentioned here,
*www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a156e265-40ff-468e-bba2-3d1e1929c416&displaylang=en

4. Safe mode vista work fine without crashing, so it seems there is driver/software clash, how can I find it?

BSOD screenshots are as follows, different time I am getting different errors, I tested ram with memtest86 3.3 & it did not detect errors with both 2gb pairs & with all 4gb together.

*img139.imageshack.us/img139/2250/img0086qs1.th.jpg

*img139.imageshack.us/img139/8743/img0087dl5.th.jpg

*img139.imageshack.us/img139/2544/img0089pu7.th.jpg

*img139.imageshack.us/img139/2088/img0088tk5.th.jpg

*img139.imageshack.us/img139/1893/img0090qx6.th.jpg

These errors are without enabling the 3gb switch in vista, though when I enabled it it still crashed as before.

Need help solving this if it can else I assume I cant get 4gb ram working with vista 32 bit.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
its definitely some driver conflicting ....

what is the error u get once windows is restarted .... the code of the error ...

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
after BSOD I get a screen wanting to check on the web for a solution to this problem, if its available then the window disappears, nothing happens.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
there should be an arrow clicking on which more details of the error will be shown ....

un-install all 3rd party drivers and then start installing them 1 by 1 and keep checking

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Windows Vista 32 bit editions can support a max of 3GB RAM Only.

See here @ *www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-maximum-memory-in-32-bit-windows-vista/

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
rayraven said:
Windows Vista 32 bit editions can support a max of 3GB RAM Only.
Yes I know that but in my case its not working with 3gb, Vista show me 3007mb ram but its giving BSOD.

un-install all 3rd party drivers and then start installing them 1 by 1 and keep checking
Instead of that I am thinking of doing another fresh install just for testing.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
do that but dont install any drivers ....see if it works fine ... if yes then install drivers 1 by 1 ... in my case i had a horrible time because of the sound drivers ... all my chat clients kept crashing :)

ray|raven

Think Zen.
If you read through the link i posted, you will see that your graphi memory adds to the total memeory addressable so it might be possible ur total memory i.e RAM+ Graphics RAM is more than 3 GB.

Regards,
ray

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
rayraven said:
If you read through the link i posted, you will see that your graphi memory adds to the total memeory addressable so it might be possible ur total memory i.e RAM+ Graphics RAM is more than 3 GB.
ray
I guess for that purpose this patch is available & I updated vista with KB940105, so what you say still might be applicable with this patch .........................then what is the way out bcoz I too feel that the graphic driver may be causing this BSOD & thats the 1st thing I updated.

But these BSOD are happening without enabling the 3gb switch, so I am confused why would Vista crash if what you say is right & 3gb switch is still not enabled.

Last edited:
OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
just a wild guess, could it be voltage issue, in BIOS ram volt is set to auto, should I try it to some set value 1.9v???

anandk

Distinguished Member
Try here : READY-RECKONER: Vista 'Stop Errors' or 'The Blue Screen Of Death'. Esp see 'WHAT TO DO IF YOU SUSPECT THAT A DRIVER IS CAUSING BSOD's'.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Both ram may not be same

Old ram reads- JM388Q643A-8

New ram reads- JM800QLJ-1G

so do you think this can be the issue, I am not sure if these number do indicate some difference in the ram, specification mentioned on the box seems same
1GB
240P DDR2 DIMM (128M x 64)
(64M x 8 DDR@ 800 5-5-5)

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Can anyone experienced answer this ram query? Are the above mentioned ram different bcoz they have different part no. the specification is same though.

shantanu

Technomancer
Visit the link :

Click here

and not only you,.. search the forum link i gave and see there are many more users.. and plus, this problem is still unsolved in many cases...

Somethings which you can try :

update to latest BIOS
Use the Fix Microsoft has provided.
Try to set the Acpi version in BIOS to ACPI v2.0 or 3.0 .

Last edited:
OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I tried the following
ACPI version set to 2.0 did not help.
Update is running latest stable BIOS (beta bios are available too) that did not help
MS fix is for patching it with 3gb installed but I tried installing the patch but it failed everytime.

I further tested both ram sticks 2gb separately with same OC profile but the newer ram does not boot on the Oclocked settings, means something is different between these 2 & they need different voltage settings I guess or different timings.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
digging the old thread.

By now I have suspected the nvidia driver to be the main reason of BSOD, so today I received a new driver update in email before updating it I decided to uninstall the old driver & used driver cleaner to wipe out all traces of nvidia, then rebooted the comp in normal mode without the Nvidia driver.

Vista did not crash at all for 10 mins then I started using applications & did some other CPU intensive work & it turns out to be a stable system in my 45 mins testing................No BSOD at all using 4GBb of ram (3gb switch was not enabled yet, earlier it crashed even with 4gb installed).

I then installed latest Nvidia driver.............................& BSOD ...................BSOD >>>>>>>>>>BSOD.

so now I can conclude that the whole issue is with Nvidia drivers though I have struggled with this problem past few months & installed 5 different version of drivers, none solved the problem.

Can anyone have any clue what nvidia driver is doing that vista crashes.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
you might have to find the driver version that will work on your system. Usually the driver that came with the mb will work, if not, then work up from there

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I don't understand what u mean?
Asus motherboard CD wont have driver for my XFX-7600GT graphic card (nvidia forceware) driver.

Or will it have some generic driver????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom