Vista Rocks/Sucks. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
That is it. I have had it.

This is my third, yes, read it again, third brush with Vista. My previous two attempts failed disastrously as well. You see, twice before I rid myself of my beloved XP only to install Vista, and I gave it a good fighting chance. Twice. I even sacrificed my scanner for it. Of course, within a week of those two attempts I was back on XP. This time though, I took a different approach. To start off with, I got another gig of RAM and installed SP1 as well. Also, I kept in mind that Vista is not perfect, and will have some problems which are solvable. It was going pretty well.

Until half-an-hour ago.

I've snapped. All I want to do is play Command & Conquer Zero Hour and guess what, Vista won' t let me. This is an expansion pack I finally found after looking in eight stores after I became re-addicted to the original, Generals. After a "successful" install, I double click on that little icon, all anticipated and what not. It doesn't play. All it says is that there has been a serious error, that may have been caused due to over-heating or viruses. Geez... thanks for the detailed and useful error message. No, I don't have an over-heated PC. I consider myself at the very least a decent OCer and my PC does not come within 20 Degrees of the max temp under full load. Viruses? Come on, don't insult me.

But here's the best part. I followed every "solution" I found online and it refuses to work. I can't for the life of me get a game to work that will probably work bloody well on XP. With better performance, mind you.

That's when it hit me.

All along, I had been solving problems that Vista created. Be it my Sound card drivers, a pathetic failed attempt to get my scanner to work, some other old games of mine.... All were non-issues from which Vista removed the non. Vista is something Microsoft worked for a very long time on. Sure it is supposed to have teething problems, but one and a half years and a service pack later, you really expect it to have grown some teeth already.

I'm not done yet. If there's one thing about Vista that really gets me thinking, then its the fact that there is not one compelling feature that Vista possesses. Security? Meh. Nothing that can't be equalled, if not surpassed, by third-party software. Aero? Super-meh. It gets old.

Therefore, In my humble opinion, Vista Sucks. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
Re: Vista Sucks. Period.

Okay, first off, appreciate the help, but I am really past caring. Let's just stick to how sucky Vista is.

Secondly, first thing I tried. Latest forceware installed.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Vista Rocks. Period.

I just can't believe it, I mean seriously, this is one really great OS. I have been using this OS in a quad boot setup with XP, first Ubuntu 7 now Ubuntu 8 & a patched OS X.

Now how many people have native installs this variety of OSs. The simplicity of using Vista, no need to download packages, hardly any driver issues, yes there were sound card issues which were sorted out after going through Windows Update, which is another major cause of my love for Vista.

Applications such as EasyBCD which help me manage my Quad Boot with absolute ease, a GUI based boot manager is so much of a boon. System wide search type it and you get the result. It is so much fun to use.

Games, gone are the days of the boring Mine Sweeper, the default bundled games are so cool, Mahajong with all those fancy effects & sounds simply gets me addicted. Not to forget the Game Manager that Vista has, it downloads CD Art from the internet with all details of the game. All you need to do is install the game.

DX 10. Though I don't have a DX 10 GPU as nVidia refuses to come out with a proper DX 10.1 card, but none the less, the screen shots, well I just can't wait for me to get my hands on a DX 10 GPU. FIfa 08, NFS Carbon, Call of Duty, Company of Heroes, Mafia, The Godfather, some nice games, some not so nice but VIsta handled them all, with ease & grace. No error, no glitch. Lauch & play, settings were never an issue.

Windows handled the Ram with so much efficiency, running applications such as Photoshop CS 2, Corel X3 & IE 8 all together on a meagre 512+128 MB Ram.

DId I mention the fact that Vista automatically disables & enables Aero when it is short on resources, I mean how cool is that, the OS on it's own doing it. The Aero effect is elegance added without affecting working. The effect is so nice to have that even Linux flavor ubuntu 8 has tried to implement a variation of the same. What more can I say.

Windows Sidebar & gadgets, this is one really fun thing to have, I mean how cool is it to have a nifty little slick looking Sticky Pad dangling on your desktop, a weather gadget telling you the weather of your city, a RSS feed reader which brings the latest news and a whole gallery filled with user made gadgets to choose from.

Windows Media Center, now is a part of the OS itself, no separate version. This is like double cream Oreo cookies at half the price. Add to that the interface of the Media Center, the whole thing just looks uber cool on my 32" LCD, watching telecision, movies & listening to music was never so much fun.

There is so much more that I can talk about: Windows Movie Maker, Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Media Player, Sync Center, Bit Locker, UAC (saved mine & my friend's a$$es so many times, thank you for this 1). Add applications from Windows Live to it and it's the simplest, easiest yet elegant user experience.

Therefore, In my humble opinion, Vista Rocks. Period.

Last edited:

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Re: Vista Rocks. Period.

Vista is good, but XP is is still my choice. Dual boot till XP dies :D.

+1 for Vista

troll thread?
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50

two sides of the same coin:D

anyway, ontopic:

microsoft has a nasty way to remove directx compatibility layers in their directx versions. Unlike some other OSes which I wish not to name here to keep this thread clean, in MS's directx, a new version can't run older versions properly. This is definitely not the case with OpenGL. These b@st@rds have the most disgusting marketing policies, like publically telling lies about their OS in a positive way and FUDing against their competition.

They do this so that people will be forced to buy every new game when it releases. These are cunning stratagies to empty the world's wallets. Their actual motto is not Your Potential, Our Passion, but Your Wallet, Our Puppet.

The bad thing is, people are so much used to this problem with running older directx apps on newer directx platform, that they start telling things like "its old, who wants it", etc and take it for granted that MS is doing no wrong.

Take a look at MS's OSS competitions. There, I can take a made in 1995 app and run it on a made in 2008 OS. In MS's case, one can only dream of doing such things.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

No matter which OS I use as fancy, I always come back to Vista for my real work, not just cos my applications work on Vista but also because I like working on Vista.

It takes 2 hrs for me to set it up over a clean install & it is ready to work. No tension of Virus or adware with Ad mucher & common sense. All my stuff works fine & flawlessly, & the OS works the way I want it to work.

This when I don't use many of Vista's inbuilt features. I don't use Sidebar, I use Yahoo Widget. I m a veracious Media Center user now & love the ability to control it using my K750i....it just works now.

Since I am leaving tonight & my workstation will be here, I made another user for my family & enabled Parental Control, now even a Virus exe doesn't run :D, & she can't screw the computer either. Oh! & UAC is turned off

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=

Clever title. For a second I thought a mod had messed around with mine. :p

Anyways, here goes the inevitable countering:

EXTREME SARCASM ALERT! Code Red!!

No downloading Packages! OMG! This is totally the first windows to manage it.

Yeah! Quad boot is fun. Now on what did I install that app?? Let's restart four times to find out!

Wow! CD art and better bundled games! Who cares about actual gaming performance in real games? And who wants to play those old classics anyway?

DX10! yeah! It has like, two games that don't suck! Damn!

Vista is totally more compatible with games than XP! Right!

Of course Aero does not effect performance! I guess it just borrows resources from my neighbour's computer, or maybe a secret wonder land powered by ten-legged hamsters.

Photoshop on Vista with 640Mb of RAM! That's so blazing fast!! Oh yeah, it must be borrowing resources again... marsh you hamsters!

Gadgets! How did they think of that? I mean no one ever thought of that before! *cough*mac*cough*yahoo*

Applications!?? Huh? I mean, how can I add that? Maybe third-party??

UAC??! Greatest invention since bread! "UAC insult : allow/deny?"

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

No downloading Packages! OMG! This is totally the first windows to manage it.
:? Windows never had the requirement of downloading stupid packages for playing mp3s
Yeah! Quad boot is fun. Now on what did I install that app?? Let's restart four times to find out!
:lol: I pretty well know the difference between XP, Vista, Ubuntu & OS X.
Wow! CD art and better bundled games! Who cares about actual gaming performance in real games? And who wants to play those old classics anyway?

DX10! yeah! It has like, two games that don't suck! Damn!
an absolutely worthless rant.
Vista is totally more compatible with games than XP! Right!
Games post 2007, yes :)
Of course Aero does not effect performance! I guess it just borrows resources from my neighbour's computer, or maybe a secret wonder land powered by ten-legged hamsters.
I never said resources, which too, contrary to popular beilef it uses from the GPU & not the CPU/dedicated Ram
Photoshop on Vista with 640Mb of RAM! That's so blazing fast!! Oh yeah, it must be borrowing resources again... marsh you hamsters!
Another worthless rant.
Gadgets! How did they think of that? I mean no one ever thought of that before! *cough*mac*cough*yahoo*
Where it comes from was not what I was talking about, it's presence is what I was pointing out to.
Applications!?? Huh? I mean, how can I add that? Maybe third-party??
:confused:
UAC??! Greatest invention since bread! "UAC insult : allow/deny?"
*www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146256/vistas_despised_uac_nails_rootkits_tests_find.html

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback

well @ring: you took sometime to understand the reality. anyways M$ will be releasing another winblows in a year's gap :lol: try!

yeah,it is fightclub:

why VIsta sucks bad:
*badvista.fsf.org :)

A true comment on M$ :)
Microsoft has been scanning the horizon to ensure that no one begins to kick at the blocks that prop up their monopoly. They are constantly looking for new ways to create more blocks. Some of these blocks are directx, drm, application/windows APIs, network interoperability (or the lack thereof), WGA/WGN lie, FUD, patents. Writing for OpenGL means you are writing for multiple platforms which gives a greater overall share.

Another new block is DRM. Yes they have had DRM in their product in one fashion or another for decades--copy protection on software back in the 80s, activation keys in the 90s.

The WGN/WGA lie in the 00's is a psychological game meant to make the consumer less in control but to give them a feeling they are being protected. They are essentially forcing the consumer to allow Microsoft to spy on them under the guise of protecting the consumer from organized pirating--this is the fundamental lie. The average consumer is already covered because they generally purchase from the likes of Dell, Gateway, etc. Only a small percentage of sales are from systems integrators and the odds of getting one that is dishonest is even more minuscule. Today it is the essential arm-twisting/drafting of the hardware manufacturers to comply with their draconian DRM/CRM procedures.

Their APIs, not just DirectX, are also locking blocks, that block you from other platform development. Most companies don't have the time to learn multiple platform APIs in order to develop software. Apple recognized this (well NeXt computers did) when they were creating their development tools. Another block they use today are patents.

Microsoft is not making a patent portfolio to protect itself, it is making it to prop up the monopoly and to attack competitors such as Linux. Software APIs for productivity applications aren't the barrier they once were. You can see that they will, over time, become less and less important as more and more programs build up for the competitor's platform. Since that form is diminishing there must be other ways for Microsoft to lock you into their platform. Gaming is a key API that they can change regularly. If they can keep changing the gaming API regularly then no entity can conceivably create a 100% compatible layer for other platforms. That's another reason why it is just silly to have game developers writing for directx instead of for OpenGL.

Networking interoperability is another key block that Microsoft uses to block migration from Windows to other platforms. If the interoperability is difficult or impossible even over the short term, large, medium, and small companies will very likely decline migration to Linux (or even OSX).

Patents and FUD seem to go hand in hand. Microsoft knows that if they say enough negative about Linux and threaten enough that migration will be slowed. If they create enough of a patent portfolio that will also slow development as competitors are constantly attempting to figure out what they can legally do and what they can't. DRM is similar in that it can't be copied and used in competitors platforms. The DMCA destroys all hope of that, at least if the user wants to stay 100% legal.

I don't know what the current installed base of Linux is and I'm sure most developers don't either. My estimate is that it is somewhere between 10 and 50 million computers.

When you use all of these together, including FUD and attempting to hide the sheer number of Linux (or any competitors true numbers) you can see how strong these blocks are. It only takes companies and individuals to start knocking more of these blocks out faster to bring down the monopoly. It isn't just having a product or even advertising your product or even giving it away for free. It is in ensuring that the right technologies are used and that enough blocks are kicked out that are supporting that monopoly.

Microsoft is scared shitless over this. They have huge monetary investments that rely on their Windows monopoly to fund them. Microsoft has no intention of getting rid of DRM. They only want to make it so that their major competitor in the arena of music is chopped down.

Apple hold the market with the iPod and iTunes because of that DRM and if Microsoft can get everyone buying their products instead of Apple's knowing that they aren't locked in Microsoft can exert much greater advertising in order to overcome Apple's lead--not necessarily overnight but in much shorter order. Everyone knows DRM is a locking mechanism. You have an iPod you are stuck with it if you purchase music from Apple's store. That's a great thing for Apple. It is a highly negative thing for Microsoft. Once Microsoft takes over the digital music market then DRM will be back, in some devious way, a way they are planning for right now.
*linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=230391&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=18696149

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom