Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Well I today installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit and is lookin OK, not as fast and crisp as XP but will do the job. Just want to know the following:

1. Where's my Aero? How to turn it ON?
  2. Where's my DirectX 10? How to get it?
  3. Will using 32-bit apps on a 64-bit OS gonna cause any trouble? I'm trying to use at least the drivers 64-bit but most apps are 32-bit like Firefox,Winamp,VLC,Avast,Spybot etc. Are they going to possess or get into any trouble in this 64-bit environment?
Clear my doubts and ye shall thrive.:cool:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1) Update all the drivers
2) Run the system analysis again

DirectX 10 is API. Vista comes with directx 10.

you should be able to run 32 bit apps without any problem

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
1) Update all the drivers -Done
2) Run the system analysis again- Done

Now I've got my Aero, its running OK but When I tried to install programs through Digit's DVD's Autorun Interface, none of them ran. I had to manually run the installers from DVD contents. In case of VLC, all I got was a Zip file which later unzipped to a folder containing just files of VLC, how to actually install it, please guide me. Is it going to be like Linux, compiling Source Code to get it up and running? :mad:

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
1) Update all the drivers -Done
2) Run the system analysis again- Done

Now I've got my Aero, its running OK but When I tried to install programs through Digit's DVD's Autorun Interface, none of them ran. I had to manually run the installers from DVD contents. In case of VLC, all I got was a Zip file which later unzipped to a folder containing just files of VLC, how to actually install it, please guide me. Is it going to be like Linux, compiling Source Code to get it up and running? :mad:

Since you got the Zipped version of VLC, it is the non-installer version. That means it does not come with an installer and cant be installed. But the program executable is given there and you can run VLC just by clicking it. :)

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Dood I know that but in XP it ran like a charm and was able to shell extend it and all the usual stuff, here it is lying in a folder like a P.O.S which it is not.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I had to shift because now my RAM is 4GB plus 512MB GDDR3 memory of GPU. XP showed only 3.25GB of RAM whilst now in 64-bit Vista I'm able to fully utilize mt RAM.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I had to shift because now my RAM is 4GB plus 512MB GDDR3 memory of GPU. XP showed only 3.25GB of RAM whilst now in 64-bit Vista I'm able to fully utilize mt RAM.

Surely 32 bit XP can't do justice with 4GB RAM while 64 bit Bit Vista can. But I wonder what you'll do with that huge amount of memory to 'fully utilize' it ? :rolleyes:

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Surely 32 bit XP can't do justice with 4GB RAM while 64 bit Bit Vista can. But I wonder what you'll do with that huge amount of memory to 'fully utilize' it ? :rolleyes:
OK then here's what I do on my PC:

1. GAMEZ
  2. Visual Studio 2008
  3. SQL Server 2008
  4. Netbeans
  5. Try Blender and other Animation and Design products
  6. Game Programming
  7. Game Designing
All of the above mentioned tasks are done by me at my own accord, no one teaches or coaches me so there is lot of trial and error involved.

With my new MOBo, in XP the songs sounded awesome and the level of Bass that was earlier provided by my Sub at 4th level was now available at 2nd but in Vista everything has F'd up. I've installed the Realtek drivers, configured the Speakers internally in Vista too, set output volume to maximum but still Output is weak and even turning the bass full up on both Sub and in Winamp doesn't gives good sound. WTH is going on???

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
OK then here's what I do on my PC:

1. GAMEZ
  2. Visual Studio 2008
  3. SQL Server 2008
  4. Netbeans
  5. Try Blender and other Animation and Design products
  6. Game Programming
  7. Game Designing
All of the above mentioned tasks are done by me at my own accord, no one teaches or coaches me so there is lot of trial and error involved.

With my new MOBo, in XP the songs sounded awesome and the level of Bass that was earlier provided by my Sub at 4th level was now available at 2nd but in Vista everything has F'd up. I've installed the Realtek drivers, configured the Speakers internally in Vista too, set output volume to maximum but still Output is weak and even turning the bass full up on both Sub and in Winamp doesn't gives good sound. WTH is going on???

For one time, play the song in Vista Media Center app. You will see lot of difference in audio quality.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
For one time, play the song in Vista Media Center app. You will see lot of difference in audio quality.
U mean Windows Media Player 11. I did that too and when switched the speakers type to large speakers, no audio output at all!

Well i tried "Windows Media Center" too and here the problem gets worse, it tries to emulate 5.1 surround sound in basic MP3 songs which kills the bass even further, looks like for songs XP is best but I intended to use Vista for these multimedia purposes only and now this is what I get, shitty sound from my good audio setup :mad:

Last edited:
OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
So I had to reformat my system again today and earlier too I was using Google's Desktop search on my 64-bit Vista Ultimate and now today when I tried to do so again I got the error that "Google Desktop is not currently compatible with your operating
system. It requires a 32-bit version of Windows Vista, Windows XP
or Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 or above." I tries to run it in compatibility mode for XP SP2 but still of no use. Help me guys!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
1. Vista's sound output is much (read again, much) better than XP. What audio card & version of drivers are you using?
2. Google Desktop is only for 32bit XP/Vista, so you cannot use it. A fact accepted by Google and they have said that it is something that they might *consider*.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
@ Plasma Snake, I think you are not using the proper 64 bit WHQL certified drivers for your sound card in Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. May be that is the sole reason for bad audio.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
This is my RealTek driver info:
Driver Version- 6.0.1.5628
DirectX version- 10.0
Audio Controller- HD Audio
Audio Codec- ALC1200
Sound from every place, i.e. in Realtek setup, Window's configuration, everywhere has been configured to the max but still the sound I'm getting is not upto the level, which I was getting in XP. Bass has been just snuffed out, highs and mids are clear but without bass they r just waste. Moreover as I said b4, audio level too has dropped, the intesity of sound available at low levels is now accessed at comparably high level. :mad:
The sound card is onboard solution available on my ASUS P5QC motherboard and it is very good considering the fact that S/PDIF connectors are also available. Speakers are Creative T6060! The drivers I'm using r the ones that came in the mobo's DVD. how to update them?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Try downloading the drivers here:

*support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Alternately to search for updates:

Device Manager -> Sound, video... -> Properties -> Update driver.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I did the latter and there were no updates available. Just checked the link too, provided above, Audio drivers are up to date and WHQL certified. Problem that I've perceived is that Vista is trying to make stereo mp3 songs into multi channel ones, spreading sound over all channels thus giving better highs and mids but killing Bass in the process.:mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom