Vista & Corporate India: Nine months later

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
Since the official enterprise launch in November 2006, business adoption of Windows Vista has crossed over 600,000 licenses in India. Giants like Infosys, TCS, Satyam, NIIT, K Raheja Corp, Symphony Services, Siemens BPO, Macawber Beekay and Larsen & Toubro have migrated to Vista
After the initial bout of mixed responses, Windows Vista has ended up making a dent in the Indian market.

One problem faced by Microsoft was that potential users had often formed a judgment of the OS without even using it. The fact is that Vista runs beautifully on new hardware, however retrofitting it onto older XP boxes is not a great idea.

Although there was no specific compelling reason to go in for such migration, it was done for the simple fact that Vista is the future of computing.

Source: *www.expresscomputeronline.com/20071001/market04.shtml

praka123

left this forum longback
Vista is the future of computing :? -may be for windows inclined companies like Infosys
let you remember there is Linux and UNIX like Operating System for taking care regarding stability and superiority.
and i have a de javoo for ur earlier post FUD - "Vista is still the secure OS" - :rolleyes:
be non-biased live 50 years more. :)

Last edited:

aku

Gonna make it BiG
dun kno abt other organizations, but top bosses of niit are still using windows xp... belive me...
but on the other hand... niit being and it related org. should have made the migration a lot earlier... :S

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
it hardly matter weather vista is crap or not.... as u all guys fight over it...
and post hundreds of link to prove your point

the fact that its next version of windows is the reason for changes....
i don't think vista is next generation of computing..
hardly any big break through in vista... or some great innovation...

looking forward to change to vista.... only if i get new hardware that is..:rolleyes:

din

Tribal Boy
anandk said:
Although there was no specific compelling reason to go in for such migration, it was done for the simple fact that Vista is the future of computing.
[/url]
Hmm, do not think so. Corporates are the least risk taking sector. Normal shops may continue usin apps and Win 98 evenafter vista. But for corporates, support matters and if MS stop support on 2008, they can't continue on XP. Thats one point. And when MS stop support on XP, new softwares/drivers etc etc will do the same eventually. So its like kinda forcing. (not for people comfortable with XP and apps on that and do not plan to use something new in the near future)

anandk said:
One problem faced by Microsoft was that potential users had often formed a judgment of the OS without even using it.

Agree 100% !! :)

But this is not just the case of OS. Happens for s/w, h/w and all IT products. The Official iPhone thread is a classic example. Not even a single person participated in that thread used / never even saw iPhone in real but made their decisions based on biased reviews :D LOL

Happens everywhere. Especially when people post biased links / blogs / discussions.

Last edited:

hailgautam

Youngling
The fact is that Windows XP is not available anymore & Cost-wise XP Prof and Vista Business cost more or less the same, therefore all new licenses sold were only Vista. In my office we have license for Vista for all the computers but only my system has Vista - that too after much request only my systems admin installed. All other systems are working on XP only.

Going by that trend you really would not call that MS has sold so many Vista Licenses - fact is that MS has only sold Vista Licenses. You can not take that number and call it as Acceptance for Vista.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
din said:
Hmm, do not think so. Corporates are the least risk taking sector. Normal shops may continue usin apps and Win 98 evenafter vista. But for corporates, support matters and if MS stop support on 2008, they can't continue on XP. Thats one point. And when MS stop support on XP, new softwares/drivers etc etc will do the same eventually. So its like kinda forcing. (not for people comfortable with XP and apps on that and do not plan to use something new in the near future)

You are right. Take for example the acer laptop reviewed by Saurav (Choto), it didnot support XP out of the box; forcing non tech users to install Vista.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
a_k_s_h_a_y said:
the fact that its next version of windows is the reason for changes....
i don't think vista is next generation of computing..
hardly any big break through in vista... or some great innovation...

Yeh, true !!

Many users moved from XP to VISTA bcoz this is NEXT VERSION OF WINDOWS by Microsoft !!
And, many from them don't thought for performance.

praka123

left this forum longback
Night of the Living Vista-a review

Night of the Living Vista
By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
September 28, 2007

Opinion: Vista has turned into the desktop operating system no one wants, and even Microsoft is beginning to get it.
Today, I think of Vista as the zombie operating system. It stumbles around, and from a distance you might think it's alive, but close up it's the walking dead. The first sign that Vista was in real trouble was when major vendors started to offer XP again on new machines. In February, Microsoft insisted it had already sold more than 20 million copies of Windows Vista. Oh yeah, like there were actually 20 million copies of Vista already out there and running. Pull the other leg, it's got bells on.

If Vista was doing great, then why did Dell break ranks with the other major OEMs to start offering XP again and become the first top-tier vendor to offer XP in replacement for Vista in April? Adding insult to injury, Dell actually had the effrontery to offer desktop Linux to its customers.

Other OEMs followed Dell's lead, or to be more precise, its customers' demands. Lenovo, for example, when it rolled out its revamped high-end ThinkPad T61p workstation notebooks in July, made a point of offering not just Vista but XP Pro and, yes, several Linux distributions, including Novell's SUSE, Red Hat and Turbo Linux.

So it came as no surprise at all to me when Mike Nash, Microsoft's corporate vice president for Windows product management, announced that, due to OEM demand, Microsoft will keep selling XP until June 2008. Of course, he also claims there is little chance the June 30 date will be extended.
Click here for full article

Last edited:

vaithy

In the zone
Hello,
whether it it is bad or not, Vista has promoted Linux adoption among users as well as traditional MS supporters.. now if they downgrading to XP (if Dell is doing this) it will hit or slow the penguin march.. So it is better MS stick to Vista business a little more So linux get more free advertising from Ms market managers ...

ironically linux growth is now linked to Vista now !!!

with regards,
Vaithy

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
vaithy said:
ironically linux growth is now linked to Vista now !!!
correction: linux growth in the first time user segment is linked to vista now. otherwise, it was never dependent on windows for its growth!

its good MS breathed life into XP :)

hailgautam

Youngling
Ankur Gupta said:
Who said Windows XP is not available anymore???
Its very much in the market...

My system admin said. Not sure in what context he said - may be that vista business and xp pro cost the same threrefore he might have takne the vista lisences and using xp instead.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ lolz... what a statement!!! while hafing a baby, there are *NO* chances of compatibility problems (you haf a choice anyway) but wid vista, there is!! :D :D

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
eggman said:
You can have a baby in nine months, why can't accept Vista?

Because birth of a baby brings new lease of life and hope...
But for some(or many) that isn't the case with Vista...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom