Vista and XP dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
Is it possible to install both XP and vVISTA ULTIMATE?
I love VISTA but due to incompatibly with driver and s.w i uninstalled VISTA
i tried to install VISTA after XP PRO but during start up no option i saw to chose VISTA or XP *38.114.204.123/%7Edilba/warezws/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif
i uninstalled VISTA

Anindya

In the zone
I am using XP with Vista Ultimate and have no problem with choosing option. Maybe the installation was not correct. U can also get the option by editing Boot.ini file by right-clicking on My Computer-> Properties->Advanced->Settings under Startup And Recovery.

OP
almighty

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
^^^
which OS u installed first?
XP or Vista?
can u plz tell me the exact way to get the chose option during start up

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
vista has a complicated bcdedititor ( dos based ) unlike xp's boot.ini . to edit the mbr in vista

use this

*neosmart.net/downloads/software/EasyBCD/EasyBCD 1.6.exe

if u want a complete tutorial on vista + xp ( vista installed first and in another tutorial xp installed first )

*apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

bye

deepakg

Journeyman
Can I install Win XP on a system having Vista basic installed..?
Can I install both OS on the same partition..?

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Old thread but I found it useful as I am going to load vista today.

My XP is installed on C,
I have D, E, F partitions
& now I want to add G & H a new hdd,
I want to install Vista ultimate on G & have the dual boot options as I am sure some of the hardware & software drivers are not yet going to run on vista, but I want to try.

So whats the best method to install this on G?

should I remove all other hdd & install vista on new hdd, in that case G would become C & when I attach my older hdd, how will it work then????

Or

should I let the xp run & insert dvd & try installing vista on G, does vista detect that XP is installed on C & hence it gives me the choice where I want to install vista & I choose G

What precaution should I take while ding this so I dot mess up my XP in any way as I may not like vista & may need to uninstall it later keeping my xp intact.

Need help as I want to load it today being Sunday.
Thanks

anandk

Distinguished Member
*apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

*apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista

aneek

Broken In
Wanna Install Vista and Xp Pro in a good manner the follow the steps...

In case of XP Installed First..........................

1.First in the Product Key window in vista installation press SHIFT + F10 to launch a Windows PE 2.0 command window. Then type in DISKPART and press enter to get into the DISKPART utility.

2.Now type in LIST VOLUME - this gives you a readout of the volumes available on the system. Select the main Windows XP volume (probably Volume 0) by typing in SELECT VOLUME 0.

3.Now type in SHRINK.if you have some problem then see the help....Which will be shown after typing SHRINK.

4.Now install vista..

5.after installation you will see that in boot menu..........

“Microsoft Windows Vista” and “ Earlier Version of Windows”.
6.then go to vista do whatever you want to do to activcate it...Then go to
*neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
to download easybcd ...this tool will help you to configure your boot menu.
If you don't see any entries in boot menu and it directly goes into Vista then click Configure boot in easybcd and give the drive where the Xp is loded.....
I think this will do...................Njoy...:p

OP
almighty

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
ranjan
just put ur vista dvd and install
then it show ur hdd partion... in vista dere is a good option to merge to create a new drive from the vaccant space
then just finish installing
d/w *neosmart.net/ ( easybcd )
install it on vista ...this tool help u too get the os chosing option

ps:- by using easybcd xp's safe mode appear disabled :(

funny part :D = when u boot from vista then the xp drive u see on d and if booting from xp then ur vista partition ll be on d
vista always make its drive primary one
so plz dont chose C in easybcd... by default it show d for older micro. version
just change the name only ... don change the drive

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
ravi_9793 said:
try this software to get rid of XP+vista boot problem:
*www.vistabootpro.org/
Is there any step by step visual guide for installing vista using vistaboot pro, I did not find it on their support site.

If possible I want that I disconnect all hdd & then plug te new hdd & install vista on it & then install vistabootpro on it & reboot & now connect older hdd having XP will it then let me boot into vista???

If so then can I have a boot loader using vistaboot pro, I like vistboot pro over Easybcd as it appears with better gui & more options.

I am doing it 1st time so having lot of confusion & don't want my xp getting messed up in this process.

Update

I finally installed vista on a new hdd & then installed vistaboot pro & made the required changes & its now working fine as required.
The whole process was quite easy, but I was scared about messing up my XP.

Thanks for all ur help...................now I need to get used to using vista, I could not find Paint & windows explorer to start with I guess they are there but buried deep somewhere inside.

Last edited:

Thomas Prakash

Right off the assembly line
hi all,

i would like to know the details regarding the outcome after doing the 'shrink volume' feature in Windows Vista.

1. if i shrink my 'C' drive with 120 GB space, what will be the free (unallocated) space if the shrink utility shows the following:
a. Total size before shrinking : 115591 MB
b. Size of available shrink space in MB : 21929 MB
c. enter the amount of space to shrink : 21929 MB
d. Total size after shrink in MB : 93662 MB

of the last three options (b,c,d) which will be the unallocated, free space after shrinking ?

regards.

Krow

Crowman
C drive would be 93662MB and 21929MB will be unallocated.

Better download EASEUS Partition Master Home edition. Its free and waaay better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom