virus that hides folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

callmeastha

Broken In
i have this strange virus on my pen drive that makes an exe file of every folder and then the folder becomes invisible even though it still exists. i.e. if i enter the correct path,say f:\folder1 in the address bar,that folder1 opens for viewing but in f:\ i can't see that folder.

unfortunately i have a lot of folders on my pen drive and obviously i don't remember their names. can you please suggest some solution? even if i can see them once so i can create a backup..

p.s.: McAfee does delete these virus infected exe files but i still can't see the folders.

plsss help.
thank you :)

If you have already deleted the files then go to command prompt and navigate to that directory:(suppose f:\)

F:\>attrib filename.extenseion -s -h -r

swatkat

Technomancer
Make Windows Explorer to show hidden/system files:
*www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html
And, then select all those hidden files, which shouldn't have been hidden, and remove the "Hidden" attribute from the file properties tab.

OP
C

callmeastha

Broken In
Make Windows Explorer to show hidden/system files:
*www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html
And, then select all those hidden files, which shouldn't have been hidden, and remove the "Hidden" attribute from the file properties tab.

system does show hidden files....but doesn't show the ones on my pen drive.also in the folder properties tab,the option 'hidden' is selected but greyed out. so i can't unselect it.:(
sumthin else u can suggest?

swatkat

Technomancer
Okay. The "Hidden" attribute is greyed out because the "System" attribute is set. Open Command Prompt and navigate into pen drive (using cd command) and then execute this command:
Code:
attrib -s -h /s /d
Now, open the pen drive in Windows Explorer now and check whether you can see its contents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom