Virus or not virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

channabasanna

In the zone
Hi All,

I have Norton Internet Security 2007 (live update is done regularly) installed at home in my PC, when i put my pen drive (Sandisk with U3 smart software) and sacn, it shows no threats or virus.
The same pen drive when i scan in my office PC which has McAfee, it shows virus is found.
So let me know which is Virus, also in my pendrive i have avast antivirus installed, it also shows no Virus.

Help me know.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
As Many Security Software have different detection rates, however,In My Opinion,norton has very low detection rate and uses more system resources.I Recommend to get Either Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 or NOD32.
Kaspersky is the #1 security solution and 10x better than norton.Yes, I myself have used norton for 8months.
A quick solution is to upload the files to virustotal.com
My Advice is to get either Kaspersky or NOD32.

Mcafee may be showing a fake warning. But as a caution, do the following:

a) Hold shift while connecting the pen drive.

b) Do not double click the icon of pen drive in my computer. Open it by entering its drive letter in the address bar.

c)Enable hidden files and Protected Operating System files viewing from Tools-> Folder Options menu of Windows Explorer. You'll find these settings on the second tab in the dialog box that opens.

d)Now delete any file with the name autorun.inf and before deleting open it and see if it contains any filenames that end with .exe or .com or .bat. If there are any names in the autorun.inf file then search for them and delete them too.

This should get your drive free from most of the pen drive based viruses.

mad_max

Journeyman
eww norton is such a piece of bloatware yuk:vomit: go for kaspersky(best signatures) or nod(best heuristics) :) and 10/10 for the above post;)

shaunak

Tux Fan
Cool trick: Press shift while plugging in drive.

Didnt know. :p

I guess it prevents XP from automaticaly firing the executable?

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
You can make it prompt you each time for an action.
Right click on the device> Properties> Autoplay> check the radio button which says "Prompt me each time to choose an action".
This is useful to stop Windows from blindly running <whatever>.
Some people cannot keep shift pressed while plugging in the device. (Like in my case. My USB ports are at the back of the cabinet so I can't press shift and plug in the device at the same time.)
This method comes in handy in such cases.
+1 for the post by Krazy_About_Technology

And yes, Kaspersky products are much better than Norton. (I realized this after living with Norton for a whole year and then switching to Kaspersky.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom