Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help me to remove thumbs.db and desktop.ini in windows xp with sp1. plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.it's all around computer i am hoorified with this virus.it's not leaving me even though i format my hard disk.plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz somebody help. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
These are not viruses. they are standard windows files. Do not wooorry !

Shubha Deepawali !!

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
Those r not viruses,they r the standard windows system files.Even if u delete them they will be recreated the next time u start Windows.So no need to worry.

rachitar

Journeyman
First of all it is not a virus
Secondly dont get worried
Third search the forum before posting
Fourth if you wanna disable thumbnail cache follow these steps :
Open My Computer
Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Files and Folders
Check the box for "Do Not cache thumbnails"

OP
P

psreesreekanth

Broken In
Soory i forgot to mention about folder.htt along the desktop.ini and thumbs.db.And this files were described as virus in the qna of jan2003 issue of digit and were provided with solution of regedit for win98.So plzzzzzzz provide help for winxp also plzzzzzzzzzz.I formated my hard disk beleiving Digitbook details at the cost of all my data and games.so plzzzz.

rachitar

Journeyman
rachitar said:
First of all it is not a virus
Secondly dont get worried
Third search the forum before posting
Fourth if you wanna disable thumbnail cache follow these steps :
Open My Computer
Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Files and Folders
Check the box for "Do Not cache thumbnails"

This is for Win XP also

geforce4

Broken In
u know thumbs.db and folder.htt are a soft spot for attacks, y donn ya get a good kool antivir and scan.that way u'll be quite sure of ur sytems security. :lol:

rachitar

Journeyman
geforce4 said:
u know thumbs.db and folder.htt are a soft spot for attacks, y donn ya get a good kool antivir and scan.that way u'll be quite sure of ur sytems security. :lol:

I dont know about folder.htt but thumbs.db and attacks-where in the world did you get that idea?
The idea behind thumbs.db is that Microsoft when creating Win XP thought that we were 3 year old kids and would like to see an image of a video before playing it or a small image of the picture and set out on a monumental struggle to help in this cause
Thus whenever you check on My Computer -> Details -> Thumbnails,Win XP stores a small file for the video and picture files in that directory called thumbs.db
Thus you can see an image of the video or the small scale version of a picture as an icon for that file
I think the idea behind folder.htt is that suppose in a folder you have video or picture files and you have selected My Computer -> Details -> Thumbnails , the folder will have maximum of 4 very small size images of the content inside the folder to give you a rough idea that the folder contains videos/pictures
Follow that instructions of my previous post and you will save a lot of HDD space,depending on how many video/picture files you have

choudang

Padawan
go to TOOLS--FOLDER OPTIONS---- Hide system files ................ your virus will be removed.

be sure with scnn you HDD [perform a full scan]

*services.nexodyne.com/email/icon/Q0uQGVutrP05jChumhiS/A%2BgIgdQ%3D/R01haWw%3D/0/image.png

rachitar

Journeyman
warrior said:
go to TOOLS--FOLDER OPTIONS---- Hide system files ................ your virus will be removed.

*services.nexodyne.com/email/icon/Q0uQGVutrP05jChumhiS/A%2BgIgdQ%3D/R01haWw%3D/0/image.png

LOL :lol:

geforce4

Broken In
lets say....., if i wer script kiddie "IF" ofcourse, what do i do, i simply bind a trojan with thumbs.db and most people won't suspect it. and if my script is norton protected, it is as better as it gets. even if it is removed it'll come back and most techies will say it is just windows giving us some b*ll sh*t about images and videos. :lol:,

djmykey

Let the music play.....
warrior said:

Cool tip but wont work it only hides those files so, u wud better get an antivirus and scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom