VIrus aaaaaaaaa

Status
Not open for further replies.

[deXter]

Journeyman
Wassup dude! Finally I meet another Indian who collects virii!

Last I checked I had about ~ 8000 virii.. And a lot of recent virii but not all, plus some of my very own masterpeice virii :)

Wanna trade?

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/dextersgenius/signature1.gif

deepakuma

Broken In
what is the pupose of collecting virii?? Make very good antivirus?? your computer must have stopped working with all the virii

[deXter]

Journeyman
Well the purpose varies from person to person

I personally collect to experiment with them- Working and exploring virii gives you an idea about various programming tricks/techniques, plus we get to know a lot of the OS, the many ways our OS can be vulnerable.. Using this knowledge we can prevent any virus to infect in the first place (infact currently im not using any a/v)

Plus the sheer fun of it, and for *Bragging* rights ;)

Btw, know this about virii: A virus is harmless unless and until we activate it. Just because I'm having the virus on my computer doesnt mean that it infected my computer. A virus is not some extraordinary thing- its just another program/script.

Of course, one could by mistake click on the virus and infect the comp- which is why I password protected each and every virus so that it cannot infect my comp accidently and intentionaly.

And when I have to run/execute the virus and watch it 'live' in action, I just use a Virtual Computer (Microsoft Virtual PC / VMware). Whatever happens in the Virtual Computer doesnt affect the real computer, so we can experiment to our hearts content..

More about VMWARE dexter

hey,

i want to ask u more abt the vmware .... if i want to test ne new software without affecting my current config then i can do it with vmware but how to go about doing it ?

waiting for ur reply

[deXter]

Journeyman
Just like the way we have software that emualtes playstations, xbox, nintendo, etc, we also have software the emulates an entire computer!

The virtual computer like I said is just another software, and it makes use of virtualization techniques and creates a sort of a layer/interface between the real hardware and virtual hardware.

Just like a real computer, you need to format/ install an OS etc on a virtual computer. Of course, this uses space and resources on the real computer. The HDD of the virtual computer is nothing but a file on the real computer (similar to an image of a hdd). And the RAM used by the virtual computer is allocated from the real computer. So its better that we have lots of free memory in the real computer so that a good amount can be used by the virtual machine.

And similarly the rest of the hardware can be emulated- a virtual cdrom drive is actually an iso file on the real computer, a floppy disk is an img/ima file on the real computer, and so on. But to increase a virtual comptuers functionality, the software provides various means for communication with the real computer. For eg, you can connect your real floppy/cdrom/hdd to the virtual computer, you can have networking and a virtual lan etc.

And you can have different virtual computers running at the same time. Each virtual computer is stored as a configuration/profile- so you can make a virtual computer for windows 98, one for redhat and so on. Thus there is no need to multiboot- you can be running windows xp, windows 98, redhat linux and more at the same time, simultaneously. Of course, this comes at a performance hit, since the virtual computer shares CPU/RAM/DISK resources with the real computer. So if you want to run multiple virtual machines at the same time then you better have a fast comp.

There are many such virtual computer softwares. Two of the most popular ones are Microsoft Virtual PC and VMware Workstation.

MS VPC is good for beginners- its got an easy to use interface, and is very user friendly. VMware is also easy to use, but its got lots of advanced options, especially in the area of networking. And Performance wise, vmware performs better- but the feel of MSVPC is better.

For more info:

*www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
*www.vmware.com/

Since the virtual Machine is an entire PC in itself, you can work in it like a normal computer- only it wont have any effect in the real computer. You can even drag-drop files between the real and the virtual computer, and run in the virtual computer as normal.

If you are having less free ram and a slow cpu, then I recommend using Windows 98 as the virtual comps OS- or else use XP as the virtual os if you are having 512 MB Ram or greater.

Remember, you'll need the installation/setup of the OS and the process is exactly the same as that of the real computert! Only, befor e booting the virtual computer, make sure you connect your real cd rom drive to the virtual computer (In the settings/properties of the virtual machine). Rest of the process - format, install is normal.

And one more thing- Both MsVpc and VMware have special/additional drivers for the virtual machine- if you install these drivers (also called as VMware tools, or Virtual PC Extensions), then you'll have extra features like drag and drop, host and guest mouse support (where you can move the mouse pointer freely between the host (your real comp) and the guest (your virtual comp), and also stuff like folder sharing, drag and drop, high resolution and better perfrmance etc). So make sure that you install the extensions/tools after you install your OS.

thx

hey ,
thx for all the INFO ... dex ... kewl will do that ... !!! There is nothing to just test some software separately ... without installing the OS in virtual environment ?? Can i have my hand on some of those viruses ?

Plz reply ... thx for all the info

cya

[deXter]

Journeyman
@ishaan,

The name Virtual PC itself means a Virtual PC - NOT a MAC! Generally we use the terms computers and PCs synonymously but the fact is Computers include PCs, MACs, PPCs, etc.

A Mac has a totally different architecture- hence a Mac OS will NOT run on a PC- UNLESS there is a software that can emulate a Mac- And just your luck, there is now! Yes! You can run Mac OS on your PC. The software is called Pear PC and its another virtual machine.

But of course, since the Mac's architecture is so different, it requires a lot of emulation - hence it uses a lot of resources and is going to be very slow..

-----------

@ shrek, you can always test software in your own os too- Just use an installation/monitoring progarm like InstallWatch Pro, WinInstall LE or Install Monitor 2.0 etc , by which you can keep a track of what changes the software made to you system so that you can exactly undo the changes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom