Virtualizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Well,people...can someone tell me about software virtualizers available for windows xp sp2 and their ease of use.
has anybody used it?which one?hows the performance?
i want to use it for surfing net actually..getting a lot of spyware and trojan attacks these days,thought of solving the problem once and for all.

my config:
e6420
xfx 650i ultra
2gb ram
xfx 8600gt
300gb sata2 hdd

sakumar79

Technomancer
This months Chip Magazine had listed three free Virtual OS Management software... Check it out... If possible, I will post info on that later...

Arun

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
VMWare wokrs good but its paid, and I felt some what Resource hungry...

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, is a free product and works good on my Windows system, but one big problem is it doesnt run well with Linux !!!

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
MVPC 2k7... kool... but i had a prob... my WinXP installation as os in the virtual pc... had a prob accessing my harddisk as shared folder. It always hangs up... so i'm not able to access my actual hard disk in this virtual pc!!! I tried using shared folder method.. it shows as network folder.. but as soon as i access the drive.. it stops working & hangs up.... choto... anand.. other mvps... any replies..

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Well Share the Host systems Drives with Full read write access 1st...

Now Install the Virtual PC Tools... inside the Virtual PC OS...

Change the VPC Network to LAN Only !!! So that you can asign Separate IP Address for that Guest OS...

Now just follow basic Home Networking as u would have done with 2 cross cable connected PC :D thats it :D

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Choto Cheeta said:
Well Share the Host systems Drives with Full read write access 1st...
Now Install the Virtual PC Tools... inside the Virtual PC OS...
After that.. it's somewhat unrealated greek&latin to me... me being poor in networking fine points.

I am supposed to be able to access the folder directly without any probs after the installation of VPC tools... why this networkin adjustments...

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
koolbluez said:
I am supposed to be able to access the folder directly without any probs after the installation of VPC tools... why this networkin adjustments...

Well My frnd, VPC Tools installation does couple of things, like making Mouse and Media Playing smoth, and its allows you drag and drop, means Start the VPC OS, and drag any file from the Backgroup Windows Explorer to VPC Desktop :p it will copy it self...

but that doesnt allow the avance networking setup u want like Browsing your Host OS File structure from Guest OS...

For that you need to setup one small home PC to PC network...

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
aks_win said:
virtual box !!! u mean to run linux or windows right ?? in a virtual computer ??

Yeah rite..but hw to use and configure it??:eek::eek:

Choto Cheeta said:
VMWare wokrs good but its paid, and I felt some what Resource hungry...

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, is a free product and works good on my Windows system, but one big problem is it doesnt run well with Linux !!!

well,i wont use linux..jus plain a guest winxp sp2 setup for net surfing.ne tips on how to do that?
one more thing..i have bsnl broadband connection....how to use that from within the virtual os(guest os)?

Last edited:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
arrey yaar its easy ! in virutal box...i dunno abt VM WARE coz its paid and i dont care abt it !

just click new and follow instructions allow 512 MB Usage !!
and some 4 GB space in some drive !!

start your virtual machine
mount DVD R/W using the option in Machine option !! put a bootable DVD
it boots thru it !! install !!

it between during installation of linux will say " this might erase your entire hard disk "

dont worry it will erase your Virtual harddisk in the virtual machine !! lolzz !! not your real physical hard disk !!

i hope i helped !

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@mukherjee

Thats very simple...

use this option is settings of VMware instalaltion of Windows XP... at Settings go to Network, there use option NAT for Network

Edit : Pic Removed

this will allow VPC OS to directly access Internet as a application under Host OS :D

Last edited:
OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Choto Cheeta said:
@mukherjee

Thats very simple...

use this option is settings of VMware instalaltion of Windows XP... at Settings go to Network, there use option NAT for Network

this will allow VPC OS to directly access Internet as a application under Host OS :D

Thanks choto.
but i wont be using vmware!! either Virtualbox or Microsoft Virtual PC 2007.How to share BSNL Broadband internet connctn in them?Plz tell....neone!!
BTW,which virtualizer do u use and for wat?

aks_win said:
arrey yaar its easy ! in virutal box...i dunno abt VM WARE coz its paid and i dont care abt it !

just click new and follow instructions allow 512 MB Usage !!
and some 4 GB space in some drive !!

start your virtual machine
mount DVD R/W using the option in Machine option !! put a bootable DVD
it boots thru it !! install !!

it between during installation of linux will say " this might erase your entire hard disk "

dont worry it will erase your Virtual harddisk in the virtual machine !! lolzz !! not your real physical hard disk !!

i hope i helped !

hmm.thanks.but i wont be using linux bro.jus win xp.wat will i do for dat?
and nodr ques:i have BSNL broadband.How do i use it in the virtual machine?Plz elaborate on it...

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@mukherjee

Extremelly sorry...

I made one typos... its Microsoft Virtual PC I gave reference too... even the screen shot is from MS VPC...

Sorry for the mis-understanding....

Cheeta....

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Choto Cheeta said:
@mukherjee

Extremelly sorry...

I made one typos... its Microsoft Virtual PC I gave reference too... even the screen shot is from MS VPC...

Sorry for the mis-understanding....

Cheeta....

never mind bro..it happens..n i m a gr8 culprit in typos too...but that really got me stumped too!!!

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
mukherjee said:
never mind bro..it happens..n i m a gr8 culprit in typos too...but that really got me stumped too!!!

newys....wat abt the win xp sp3 thing i say on that window caption??:eek::eek:

Testing it but I am not allowed to say any thing on that, MS NDA wont allow me... removing that PIC :p

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
@ choto

hey i installed ms vm 2007 and have winxp sp'2' running..but i cant get the network to work.cant surf the net ffrom guest pc.wat can i do?plz guide.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
^ have u installed virtual machine additions ? if not , do it . boot the guest OS ( winxpsp2) in vm . capture iso image . in the program files\microsoft virtual machine(watever , u got the point ) \ virtual machine additions . . install vm additions in ur guest OS in vm . goto settings > select ur network adaptor . it works for me .

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
sagargv said:
^ have u installed virtual machine additions ? if not , do it . boot the guest OS ( winxpsp2) in vm . capture iso image . in the program files\microsoft virtual machine(watever , u got the point ) \ virtual machine additions . . install vm additions in ur guest OS in vm . goto settings > select ur network adaptor . it works for me .

okk will try it and update..thanks in advance..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom