Virtual Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
many people have only one Hard Disk on their PC( like me), thus there's no escape from choppy runnig of latest games.

but i experimented with virtual memory BY PLACING IT ON A "PEN DRIVE", it worked wonders for me.( i have a 512 MB pen drive & a 256MB RAM).

the game i played was Need For Sppeed Most Wanted.
i'm not sure whether it'll work for others, but ther's nothing wrong in TRYING.

if still you are not happy with your PC's performance, go in for a PCI card(orAGP).

theraven

Technomancer
if u increase read / write cycles on a thumb drive it'll reduce its life drastically
i suggest u stop doing this .... ull thumb drive will die within a month or 2

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
i didnt think of that.

thanx for the warning.

i want to know , is there any other way to increae the performance,( without adding extra HD or RAM).

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
^^Yeah,stop visiting crap sites and downloading viruses in the process.Also uninstall some games.:D:D:D
(sorry for a little late reply)

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Little Late???:D:D:D

wat sites are you talkin of, i didnt metion anything:D

now i know a lot about Virtual Memory then when i posted this thread:)

saikibryan

Journeyman
dunno abt placin virtual memory on a pen drive...wat i do is i place that on my second hdd after creating a partition which browse da least, n rule of thumb is 2.5 times of my system memory, n abt boosting ur pc speed there's lot of tweakings which u can do manually widout help of third party softwares....

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
placing VM on separate HDD (not partition) is the best practice.:)

1.5 times when you have 256MB to 512MB RAM, if you have 1GB RAM, then set the VM value to 500MB or 1GB both min. & max. value should be the same:)

1GB in case if you use PhotoShop, or do heavy video editing.

btw this thread is very old one, i posted it when i was a noob:D

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Not comparing between RAM & VM... that's not a comparison. But when ur RAM wont suffice, USB 2.0 sticks r the best alternative to VM in HardDisk in terms of speed.

Check this ThinkDigit post out, s18000rpm.
I had already mentioned ur method in it. Access speeds of harddisk is lot slower than harddisks. So virtual ram if put in the USB sticks, 'll work far better. But then, the life of the stick decreases, due to high read/write rates. Well, we can do this on spare USB's, like I do.

VM can't replace RAMs, as there is no comparision.
What has to b asked is.. Is puttin VM in USB 2.0 sticks better than putting VM in Harddisk? That'll give u the answer supportin the former, ignoring the life of the subjects.

RAM is the fastest no doubt. Then comes USB speeds, then HardDisks. We r just utilising the USB's to the fullest ;)

Last edited:

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
^^^^ Damn... Vimal... I didn't check the date... U did it...
Well, then do me the same favor.. revive my dead links ;)

Stick

Ambassador of Buzz
But why we need VM, I have 512 RAM still when I diable VM, windows didn't show option to keep my PC in Stand By Mod. I am using Win98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom