!!!!! Virtual Memory Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipen01

Youngling
hey there...

i have PIII 1 GHz 64 SDRAM and am using Win XP.... Actually i have a doubt .. are there any barriers or limits on increasing Virtual memory...
i mean i dont mind using 500 MB of HDD space for it..of-course of its possible...
ill be glad if anyone can bring some lite on this topic..coz am fed of msg VIRTUAL MEMORY TOO LOW....
so i was thinking of increasing it beyond 192.... if possible...

Anyways...thanx..

Cheers..
Dipen

chaos

Broken In
You're running Win XP on a system with 64Mb RAM? Dude, I suggest you switch immediately to Win 98.

And for page file (virtual memory) optimizations, please visit:
*www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
chaos has a point. 64MB is way too low to run Win XP. I suggest you add at least another 128MB or use Win98.

In any case, by default Windows allocates about 150 % of your physical RAM as virtual memory. If you have 256MB RAM, it will allocate 384MB of HD space as virtual memory. You can change this amount by doing this -

Right-click My Computer -->Properties -->Advanced -->Performance Settings -->Advanced -->Virtual Memory Change.

Select Custom size (if not already selected). In the 'Initial size' box, type in the amount you want. If you enter, say 300, Windows will reserve 300MB of HD space for virtual memory.

If necessary, Windows will use more than the initial size, upto the maximum you specify in the 'Maximum size' box.

After you've entered the desired sizes, click the 'Set' button.

Techmastro

Journeyman
To increase efficency of VIRTUAL MEMORY set minimum & maximum as same amount
Moreover please defragment your drive before customising your virtual memory
Try with different values such as 2 times RAM, 2.5 times RAM
I am sure this will help a lot

OP
Dipen01

Dipen01

Youngling
pimpom said:
chaos has a point. 64MB is way too low to run Win XP. I suggest you add at least another 128MB or use Win98.

You're running Win XP on a system with 64Mb RAM? Dude, I suggest you switch immediately to Win 98.

Well mates...u are rite.. i only know how am i running XP on 64 RAM..Cant help u know.. after using XP for a long time at frens PC..college PC.. Win 98 doesnt seem to be having that good interface or in simple lang. environment...
yah and also am in seach of a 256 extra stick..but its also costing a bomb.. coz now at this config. theres no point in upgrading my PC.
anywys.. thanx..

Cheers..
Dipen

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
My present config is
P3 866 OC to 910
ASUS CUSL2 Mobo
SDRAM 512 133Mhz
ASUS RIVA TNT 2 AGP 4 card
Broadcom Gigabit LAN card
Dlink 10/100 LAN Card x 2