Virtual Memory - details plss

Discussion in 'Hardware Q&A' started by alienspiesu, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alienspiesu

alienspiesu New Member

hey guys wud u plsss help me knowing more abt tis virtual memory thingie..
    need to knw wat is it as a frnd of mine has a problm abt it while playini a game...n if poss suggest sum links n stuf tat cud help me knw more abt it..
    thxx...

2. sakumar79

sakumar79 Active Member

Virtual Memory is a portion of the Hard Disk Space that Windows uses as a Virtual RAM... Basically, Windows loads a lot of dlls etc into RAM because access to RAM is faster that access to file on hard disc. Sometimes, the provided RAM is insufficient to store the dlls temporarily for quick access. So, Windows creates a page file in the Virtual memory to store extra data. Access to data on the Virtual memory is not as fast as access to data on RAM but it is faster than access to other data on hard disk because windows knows where to look...

Typically, it is recommended to have virtual RAM set to about 2 times the amount of physical RAM on the system. Also, if you defrag the partition and set the VRAM min and max to same amount, you can ensure that the VRAM is one continuous piece which will improve performance. If, after setting VRAM, you get crashing problems, it could be that the VRAM provided is inadequate and you should change settings...

Many links to additional detail at http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q="virtual+memory"&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Arun

3. OP
    OP
    alienspiesu

alienspiesu New Member

hey thx dude .. the link n ur info helpd a lot.. thxx

4. deathvirus_me

deathvirus_me New Member

Well this is true upto some level .. otherwise if u have the upper limit more then that'll not decrease performance or anything like that .. it might save u from a crash if the allocated virtual mem. runs low ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.