Virtual Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

starscream

Broken In
Well if you tried Vmware 4.5 in april issue you can understand how powerfull virtual machines are.
you an even install many linux distros on your virtual machine and cn try many software updates in it.
its not that only vnmware exists there are many other free vitual machine softwares are there.Bochs is also good virtual machine for linux platform.

Looking forward to Digit to include these vitual machine next issues.

VMware 5.0 (Windows platform)
Bochs (Windows)
Virttual PC 2004

rajas

In the zone
Old News Dude. But I appreciate(I really do) the fact that its your own impression and not a copy from another souce.

I use Virtual PC 2004(Got with my TechNet Subscription). Its good, serves my needs.

tech skoch

Right off the assembly line
HEY Could Any One Elaborate Me (a nerd so far) How Does A Virtual Pc Work???

What Can We Do With it

&

Is There Some Means By wich I can Install the Fedora Provided in Dvd without Burning Cd's Of the Same

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
The virtualpc that is discussed here is an emulator software by microsoft which emulates a PC. Since it provides all the services and interfaces that a PC will (like, disk, ram, processor, peripherals, etc), anything that runs on a PC will run in a virtual pc too. It can do what a PC can do, and then some. Unfortuanately, since the virtual pc is an emulation software running inside a host machine, the virtual pc is slower than the host machine by a large ratio.

But why use anozer slower machine to do that? System developers may want to experiment on the virtual pc to avoid trashing their physical pc. System support people may want to recreate a customer's complaint and find solutions for it without having to restart or finding a similarly configured pc to the customer. (My idea: Use as playground for your pet virii). So basically, you can use it as a disposable computer whose state at any time can be saved and refreshed.

You can capture the iso from the dvd and store it in your disk. Then boot your computer using a bootable fedora cd/dvd/floppy and when it asks the medium for installation, choose hdd and point it to the iso.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Yeah Virtual PCs are great things..............

I loved it when I saw MS-Virtual Machine and now I'm using VMWare Workstation 5.................................. VMware is a lot better than MS one...............

I don't know any free VMs for Windows Platform........... Does anyone know??

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Hi khattam,
Virtual Machines are different from virtual PCs. Infact, a virtual PC is one type of virtual machine.
For example, there are language/application virtual machines, like SmokeVM, Parrot, and, ofcourse, the JVM for programming languages. There are other kernel level virtual machines for parallelization of tasks.

Here's a wiki on VMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom