Virtual Box...problem installing Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

faraaz

Evil Genius
Hi, I've got VirtualBox set up on my computer fine, and I was trying to install WIndows XP Pro SP2 on it. Thing is, when the VM boots up and comes to the screen where the EULA is displayed, it asks me to press F8 if I agree or Esc if I dont. I press F8 but the machine doesn't recognize it only! And the installation doesn't start at all! However, I press Esc means the installation quits. What is going on?? How do I install WIndows?

Initially, it was saying I needed permission to access that virtual disk image file, so I ran it from the CLI after typing su...

Anyway, I saved the state and quit the program, waiting for someone here to tell me how to fix it!!

PS: Forgot to add..I'm running a 2.4 GHz with 2 GB RAM and 300 GB SATA. My Linux distro is Sabayon 3.3...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
*forum.club.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?p=332601&sid=b49aa3d1a11774a1a413be68d4e22494
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=424028

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
Thanks Mehulved.

Turns out I was having a conflict with Beryl...F8 was configured for some weird effect that wasn't even working..so the F8 key was routed to that special effect rather than the VM.

Disabling Beryl let me work it fine...

Okay, one more doubt...in VirtualBox, how do I enable USB support and allow the machine to read folders in the host OS? I read the user manual which said I need to install Guest Extensions, but I can't find them anywhere to download... :(

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
In gentoo, there's a package called virtualbox-additins. I guess you can't get those as bin packages due to some license restrictions. Check virtualbox's site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom