Villager averts rail disaster (1500 People Saved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
CHIKMAGALUR, Karnataka: On this wintry Sunday morning, he ran on the tracks for over a kilometre waving his shirt and yelling. His death-defying act was rewarded when the Arsikere-Harihara passenger trundling along came to an abrupt halt near Ajjampura in this district.

Over 1,500 passengers travelling on the train owe their lives to this saviour - 21-year-old Manjunath, a humble farm labourer who became a hero with this brave act.

“I feel happy that I have prevented the train from running off the track. More than 1,500 lives have been saved,’’ said Manjunath.

In fact, when Manjunath left his house at Shivani village in Tarikere taluk around 6.20 am to graze a few bullocks, he never thought he would avert a major train disaster. As he walked along the railway track, he noticed the track was out of alignment at one spot and knew it was a danger signal.

A quick-thinking Manjunath then abandoned the bullocks, removed his shirt and started running on the railway track hoping to stop the train.

After having run nearly a kilometre up to Bankadakatte near Ajjampura, he sighted the train around 6.45 am. Manjunath frantically waved his shirt to attract the train driver’s attention, but the latter was confused.

The driver didn’t know if the lad running towards the train was crazy or if he was trying to commit suicide. After applying brakes, the irritated driver alighted to give a tongue-lashing to Manjunath. So did the rattled passengers. But when Manjunath pointed out to the faulty track, the driver gave him a big hug and the passengers celebrated in joy. :)

The news soon spread in Ajjampura and the villagers began to gather near the train. Subsequently, they felicitated Manjunath for his bravery and congratulated his parents Parameshwara and Kamalamma, both farm labourers.

The train left Ajjampura an hour later after the track was repaired. The railway authorities, who acknowledged the youth’s life-saving act, said they will recommend to the deputy commissioner of Chikmagalur district to reward him. Manjunath, however, maintained: “I only prevented the train from derailing.’’

Source

Anindya

In the zone
Hope he is rewarded in a meaningful way which can change his life and his parents for the better.

praka123

left this forum longback
well,there is no railways in my town,if i want to be kerala hero,i have to run upto alwaye :p that makes 35kms :? and provided there is a problem in track(i will have to make problem) so atm i will try to stop some KSRTC(kerala) bus :D

but Manjunatha is really brave.

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
^ lol...

he is brave.... and in kannada news paper i read that waved the shirt not stand beside the track, but standing on the track from a distant!!!!! seeing the driver stopped the train think this guy was attempting for sucide :confused:

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
amazin bravery and quite dramatic too. (like we used to read in stories)

any how gov should reward him suitably and give him some job.

i meant NOW instead of how.
i m now usin my mobile n cant edit it. sorry

Last edited:
I wish there were more like him... if more of these people replace all the maoists, terrorists and corrupted offitials in our country, imagine where india would be ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom