Viewing websites in linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinayanmanimala

Right off the assembly line
How can I view the sites, which can be viewed only through IE, in linux? I am using redhat linux 9 with mozilla 1.2.1. I will be very happy if any body can suggest a solution.

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
Hi Vinay....

I have not tried this myself.... but I got this with a google search:

*www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/index-en.html

I'll try it and tell you if it works.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
If it still doesn't work install IE in linux through wine. Google for frankscorner for more. And if possible move to a more recent distro. Red Hat 9 is too outdated.

OP
V

vinayanmanimala

tech_your_future said:
If it still doesn't work install IE in linux through wine. Google for frankscorner for more. And if possible move to a more recent distro. Red Hat 9 is too outdated.

Thank you for your valuable advice. I shall try it and inform the result. The problem with the distro is my computer has only 128MB RAM. Somebody told me FC3 or FC4 will work smoothly only if the RAM is atleast 256MB. Is it true?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Vinay, Yes, almost all new Linux distros require atleast 256 MB RAM. So you better
upgrade. The more RAM you have installed in your PC, the better would be the O.S
performance.

OP
V

vinayanmanimala

gary4gar said:
well u can use opera & switch its engine rendering to that of ie. all sites will open:)

Thank you for your valuable advice. But can you explain how can I do it? I am only a beginer in this field. So pardon me if the question is silly. In the latest digit(Sep. 06), it is said that this can be done by choosing ' Tools>Quick preferences>Identify as IE '. But in my computer the Opera 9 for linux is not showing the option ' Identify as IE ' in ' Quick preferences '. Can you tell me what is the problem?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Right Click -> Edit Site Preferences -> Network -> Browser Identification -> Mask as Internet Explorer.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
the biggest problem is browser sniffing, i.e many websites (specially msn sites), check if the browser is Opera and if it is then they simply send bad code to Opera. Or they check if its not IE, and then send broken code.

TO completely hide opera do this:
1.right click > site prefs > network tab > mask as internet explorer .
2.right click > site prefs > cookies > delete all cookies manually
3.goto tools > perf > advanced > history > clear cached

open the site

If it still doesn't work ( very very less chance)
1.disable javascript
2.repeat the above steps
open the site

After doing this practically ALL sites will work in Opera flawlessly, atleast all that open in firefox .

Obviously sites designed to 'work' around Exploder's bugs still wouldn't. I haven't encountered a single site that doesn't work in Opera since I came to know of the above method.
For more info: *my.opera.com/community/openweb/
*my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=4893
MAKE SURE TO GOTO > HELP > REPORT SITE PROBLEM, WHENEVER YOU ENCOUNTER ANY DUMB SITE

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Its not a good idea to ever change the Browser Identification string.

Remember, the website designer is too narrow minded to think if there exists any other browser in the world. If you mask as Internet Exploder then it will show as Internet Exploder in web server logs, and web designer will further believe that everyone browsing his site uses IE only.

Be bold, and reject the sites which are IE only. If they dont care for us, then we dont want to buy stuff, bank, or general browse with them.

As such, if the web designer is using W3 Standards compliant markup then almost all browsers can be used with that site without any issues.

OP
V

vinayanmanimala

tech_your_future said:
Right Click -> Edit Site Preferences -> Network -> Browser Identification -> Mask as Internet Explorer.
Thank you very much. Now I can see the site through Opera.
the biggest problem is browser sniffing, i.e many websites (specially msn sites), check if the browser is Opera and if it is then they simply send bad code to Opera. Or they check if its not IE, and then send broken code.

TO completely hide opera do this:
1.right click > site prefs > network tab > mask as internet explorer .
2.right click > site prefs > cookies > delete all cookies manually
3.goto tools > perf > advanced > history > clear cached

open the site

If it still doesn't work ( very very less chance)
1.disable javascript
2.repeat the above steps
open the site

After doing this practically ALL sites will work in Opera flawlessly, atleast all that open in firefox .

Obviously sites designed to 'work' around Exploder's bugs still wouldn't. I haven't encountered a single site that doesn't work in Opera since I came to know of the above method.
For more info: *my.opera.com/community/openweb/
*my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=4893
MAKE SURE TO GOTO > HELP > REPORT SITE PROBLEM, WHENEVER YOU ENCOUNTER ANY DUMB SITE

Thank you very much for your valuable advice. Now everything is OK.
I can view the sites through Opera.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom