video display garbled in ubuntu dapper

Status
Not open for further replies.

sav_more

Journeyman
i have ubuntu 6.06 and nvidia 7300le with the latest video drivers.
initially the videos i played wer smooth and proper..no garbled videos
then i installed beryl on this...dats wen all the trouble "WITH VIDEOS ONLY" started.everything is good xcept the video playback on my machine.
the colours are out of place..videos look as if they are fragmented and garbled.
even tottem and vlc show garbled SKINS...cant even see the control settings on xine.
i upgraded all the video softwares n even returned to metacity still the same....video playback is garbled..rest is fine.
the same Videos work great on win xp so dont think videos r corrupted
pls help ..thanks

eddie

El mooooo
Video corruption with XV driver in AIGLX is a known problem but I didn't know it was happening with NVIDIA as well. Anyways, try this thread from Ubuntu forums to improve video performance
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239617

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
thanks.but the procedure is not workin dude.
will uninstalling beryl work???? if yes then pls tell me how.
or any other method??? reinstalling nvidia drivers???(pls tel how)

thanks

eddie

El mooooo
If you can work without beryl then first try uninstalling it. How did you install it? Using Ubuntu package manager? If yes, then uninstall beryl using package manager. If your videos work fine...then we will have a sure shot culprit behind this problem. If it still doesn't work, then we will look in different direction.

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
alrite i can work without beryl.
did not install it using package manager.

this is how i installed beryl.
started from this section of the below link

Install & Configure nVidia Drivers
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=268036

how do i uninstall it now??
thanks.

eddie

El mooooo
Try this
Code:
sudo apt-get remove beryl emerald emerald-themes
Also remove those XGL lines and restart your system.

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
OK.will try this and then post.
how do i do that???

thanks

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
Did you remove the XGL lines? You don't need XGL with nVIDIA official drivers and it could be that this collision between two similar things is causing display corruption. I did not recommend uninstalling XGL until you removed these lines because it would have left you without any X server working. So remove these lines that you inserted after following that link
Code:
0=Xgl

[server-Xgl]
name=Xgl server
command=/usr/bin/Xgl :0 -fullscreen -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv:fbo
flexible=true

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
done dude!!!
awsome...everything back to normal...wont b installing beryl again(atleast not on dapper).
thanks..
reps 4 u.

eddie

El mooooo
Actually it is not beryl but nVIDIA drivers. nVIDIA includes XGL like technology in their official drivers and you installed XGL over it. This caused a confusion and hence the garbled display. Now whenever you want to install beryl, don't install XGL. Just install Beryl and it will work :)

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
I also use Beryl but with OpenSuse 10.2 and it is unstable whenever I play any full screen windows or video...so I switch off Beryl when I have to play video or play games...but on the whole when Beryl is installed the sys is not as stable.

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
u mean that if i install beryl witout inserting those XGL lines i can have smooth playback as well as COOL effects!!
that wud be excellent....the beryl effects and the emerald themes were awsome.
the amount of customization was too good..u cud control almost any aspect of ur display....
alrite will try beryl without inserting those XGL lines.
thanks...

@caleb...
hi, my system was quiet stable with beryl installed.there were no problems on the stablity front..but the video quality sucked big time.but now that the XGL problem has been solved ,i dont think it will give me any trouble.
but will try disabling beryl when playin videos, if u say so.
thanks.

eddie

El mooooo
sav_more said:
u mean that if i install beryl witout inserting those XGL lines i can have smooth playback as well as COOL effects!!
Yes because nVidia includes XGL like capabilities in their drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom