Status
Not open for further replies.

avik_chat

Broken In
Hi....I am a primitive man. So I have a primitive PC....PIII, 667 MHz, 256 MB 133 Bus speed SD Ram, 8 MB onboard Graphics. I use Windows XP SP2.

Is there any way I could capture Video from my Handycam Hi8 tapes through USB port (its compatible) using Windows Movie Maker?

I can capture any how but lots of dropped frames which I want to eliminate. Dont tell me that I should capture in a separate NTFS partition with all other running softwares closed.... I am not that dumb

nil_3

In the zone
"Primitive man" with XP SP2!!!
Jokes apart, if your camera has a firewire port, you can capture through it by purchasing a firewire card. A "primitive" one costs Rs 700-1000/-. In absence of firewire port you have to purchase an analog capture card. By capturing through your 'primitive PC's USB 1.1 port(and even if you have USB 2 card) you should always experience dropped frame

OP
A

avik_chat

Broken In
Thanks nil_3

... Yes, I have USB 2 card. But my camera do not have Firewire port. All it has is a USB port, S-Video Port and A-V port.

What analog capture card should I buy? Cost???

TechGuru#1

In the zone
do the ASUS A8NE-SLI hav ONBOARD FIREWIRE ?
I'm also having HI-8 DigiVideocam & with same CAPTURE issues!
So,should upgrading 2 ASUS Mobo with Onboard firewire Support on Mobo fix my problem?

janitha

Wise Old Owl
TechGuru#1 said:
So,should upgrading 2 ASUS Mobo with Onboard firewire Support on Mobo fix my problem?

Why should you upgrade your Mobo for the Firewire support when you can buy a PCI Firewire card which wont cost much.

In fact I am also going to buy one since I have a Mini DV handycam but an A8N-E Mobo without Firewire.

V.Prem Kumar

nil_3

In the zone
avik_chat said:
Thanks nil_3

... Yes, I have USB 2 card. But my camera do not have Firewire port. All it has is a USB port, S-Video Port and A-V port.

I don't know. Actually the card is not at all costly but the software(capturing and editing) accompanying it costs a lot. Check the shops at Chandni area.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
nil_3 said:
avik_chat said:
Thanks nil_3

I don't know. Actually the card is not at all costly but the software(capturing and editing) accompanying it costs a lot. Check the shops at Chandni area.

I happened to see in jjmehta.com (photo dealers) that they are selling Firewire Card with Ulead software for less than 1K. But may be the SW is an earlier version. But sorry, I forgot that his camera does'nt have the port.

V.Prem Kumar

TechGuru#1

In the zone
janitha said:
TechGuru#1 said:

Why should you upgrade your Mobo for the Firewire support when you can buy a PCI Firewire card which wont cost much.

In fact I am also going to buy one since I have a Mini DV handycam but an A8N-E Mobo without Firewire.

V.Prem Kumar

Hey u got me wrong!

I am totally upgrading my system,not just for firewire,but for much more...
....infact i'm getting a ASUS SLI Premium,which is supposed 2 support "firewire"-ONBOARD
& since i hav got a SONY videocam(D-8)with FIREWIRE port,& of which videos i can't capture till date with my current PCsystem,.....so will this new mobo solve my problem(i.e capturing Videos(through firewire) at highest quality w/o drpped frames)???

nil_3

In the zone
@TechGuru#1
If there is a firewire port onboard your ASUS MoBo and one in your D-8 handycam then there will certainly be NO dropped frame. But without purchasing a new MoBo you can purchase a PCI Firewire card costing around Rs. 700-1000/- which will equally serve your purpose.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
avik_chat said:
Thanks nil_3

In this case what purpose will be served by either a PCI Firewire Card or a MoBo with Firewire?

V.Prem Kumar

avik_chat said:
Hi....I am a primitive man. So I have a primitive PC....PIII, 667 MHz, 256 MB 133 Bus speed SD Ram, 8 MB onboard Graphics. I use Windows XP SP2.

Is there any way I could capture Video from my Handycam Hi8 tapes through USB port (its compatible) using Windows Movie Maker?

I can capture any how but lots of dropped frames which I want to eliminate. Dont tell me that I should capture in a separate NTFS partition with all other running softwares closed.... I am not that dumb

Here are a few tips to capture without dropping frames -

Get a fast hard disk (atleast 7200 RPM) with lots of free space. Atleast 80GB.

I assume you are doing an analog capture (with Composite/RCA in) Use a lossless codec such as HuffyUV. I know filesize sucks, but it'll use little resources while capturing. You can recompress later to any other desired codec.

Same with audio. Capture in uncompressed PCM WAV. Now, you know why I stressed on free space.

With these recommedations you shoud have no trouble capturing with your current Processor and RAM config. When I first started capping video (about 5 years back) I had a similar config.

Again, this is with analog capture in mind. Not Firewire. I don't recommend USB unless you want to use your DigiCam as a webcam.

Here's something that might be of help. *nickyguides.digital-digest.com/video-capture.htm

Cheers,
Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom