Very Simple Fan mod for Gigabyte 8660GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Did this for a friend,
thought of sharing,maybe it will be useful for folks here,especially with summer already upon us :)
This is a passive card and can get pretty hot while gaming.

*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_247f20701d711a.jpg

More here - Easy & Simple fan mod for graphic card

Thanks !
Amey
Team THL

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Bringing more fans does not necessarily means improved cooling.It depends upon the placement of the fans.Also upon the location of various other components inside your cabinet.
Your mod is very amateur.
It's like adding extra fan to your cabinet.
Thanks anyways.
Can you tell me the temp drop after doing this?

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Bringing more fans does not necessarily means improved cooling --- Agreed, but then earlier there was not even a single fan ;)

It depends upon the placement of the fans ---------> Think of a better place to place the fans on the card ?

Also upon the location of various other components inside your cabinet.----> Care to elaborate ?

Your mod is very amateur. -------> Never said it was scientific breakthrough;)

It's like adding extra fan to your cabinet.-----> How is that so ? Isnt the fan blowing air directly over the Heatsink ?

Can you tell me the temp drop after doing this? -------> If you read the first post, you wouldnt have asked that question, This was done for a friend,its not my card.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Yes a fan blowing directly toward the gfx card (from below) does bring down the temps. Its a much better option than the side panel fan blowing towards the gpu.
I have done it and the idle temps for my 7950GT has come down to 47c from 55c and the load are around 58c from 65c.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
another fan setup which i use to cool my **))GTS is possible only with dual slot cooler cards.in this mod,u need to remove all the xcabinet back plates whihc guard the expansion slots.
now u need to place a 80mm or 92mm fan just below the dvi ports in such a way that part of the fan is in level with the gfx crad exhaust holes (the gaps below the dvi ports in a dual slot cooler).the fan sud be so directed that it blows air away from the card.
temps drop by bout 5-7c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom