vcd files to dvd burning ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shreyadr

Journeyman
I have collected too many video files from VCD's on my machine. Recently i have purchased sony dvd writter. i got nero 7 cd alongwith that. but when i try to burn the video files on dvd, it is not accepting them. Dose those files require any type of coversion ? vcd files are DAT files... if it requires any conversion, which is that ? how do i convert those and burn them on dvd ? is any freeware available for the same ?

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Nero 7 Ultra edition comes with Nero Vision 4, a HD and DVD creation tool.
Install it.
You need to convert DAT files to mpg format for DVD creation.
Download from here free Video converter: Super video converter

OP
shreyadr

shreyadr

Journeyman
kiran.rkk said:
Nero 7 Ultra edition comes with Nero Vision 4, a HD and DVD creation tool.
Install it.
You need to convert DAT files to mpg format for DVD creation.
Download from here free Video converter: Super video converter

sorry, the cd is of nero OEM suit, it says 'bundled with cd.dvd recorder only'

will that work ?

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Nero OEM suite comes with Nero Vision Express. So you can create a DVD from video. Install the Nero CD completely.

raksrules

Youngling
If your standalone DVD player is of the latest breed then it will have the feature that when you insert a non compatible/recognized disc (eg: Digit DVD) it will give you explorer type option. For the last one year majority of the DVD players have this function. You can then locate the required file (dat,mpg,mp3) and play on your player. So if ur DVD player has this facility then i suggest you use Nero 6.0 or higher but NOT Nero 7 since it has some bugs and burn a Data DVD with the VCD dat files. So next time when u insert the disc in ur player obviously it wont recognize as DVD vIDEO and so it will give u an explorer type interface showing the recognized files on the disk (here .dat) Then u can select the individual file and play. I have a Mitashi Divx 555 player that enables me to doo all that i specified above.

OP
shreyadr

shreyadr

Journeyman
thanx for the suggessions kiran.rkk and rak007.

my dvd player is 2 yrs old (Phillips). and dvd writter i purchased just last week.

anyways, i guess my problem has solved. since the space on my machine is getting reduced, i decided to dump those dat files as data files on dvd till i get answer from u geeks. that way i dumped 3 movies on dvd, just to take a chance i tried to play it on dvd player and wov it worked perfectly. i just needed to press menu and it listed down the file name e.g. xxxx 1, xxxx 2 etc. , i required to select the file and it played well, with the same quality and sound of original video files.

i so could copy 3 complete hindi movies on 1 dvd. which i could paly on my comp using windows media player as well as on my phillips dvd player perfectly.

now answer me pls. , if i copy the 1 movie or say 1 part of a movie at a time, will i be able to play those when the dvd is fully written. i heard, that multisessions could read only latest data. since my media is cheap one for 8x it took me 2+ hrs to write it, in which time, my comp gets slow and can't work anymore. so will copyng 700 mb at a time and remaining in a multisessions will work ?

BTW, digit dvd's don't work in my dvd player, which i had checked long back. only image files u can see thru dvd player.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
shreyadr said:
now answer me pls. , if i copy the 1 movie or say 1 part of a movie at a time, will i be able to play those when the dvd is fully written. i heard, that multisessions could read only latest data. since my media is cheap one for 8x it took me 2+ hrs to write it, in which time, my comp gets slow and can't work anymore. so will copyng 700 mb at a time and remaining in a multisessions will work ?

BTW, digit dvd's don't work in my dvd player, which i had checked long back. only image files u can see thru dvd player.

Multisession writing is not 100% reliable. Once I took my data CD to my friends house and continued multisession. After that alas! I lost all my previous data. Thanks God! I had recovery tool - recovered all my data!
It does work well if you have a good quality writer and media. Reliability is more when u use same system for multisession tasks.
Since you want to play in a DVD player (rather than PC), I don't recommend multisession writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom