• CONTEST ALERT - Experience the power of DDR5 memory with Kingston Click for details
Status
Not open for further replies.

rajesh_nk22

Journeyman
Hi
I have joined company where VB6 is used in developing games, I want to know is there any scope left for VB6 programmers. Should I leave this job now and join .NET company or I should work here for sometime and then to think of move.
 

vikassethi

Broken In
rajesh_nk22 said:
Hi
I have joined company where VB6 is used in developing games, I want to know is there any scope left for VB6 programmers. Should I leave this job now and join .NET company or I should work here for sometime and then to think of move.
I am into VB6 for last 8 years and also amongst top 50 coders at Rent a coder. VB6 will survie for another 5 years from here for sure but there is no growth left in it. Also .Net and VB6 are very different and your working in VB6 would not help you much with .Net. So I would advise you for .Net instead of VB6. Although I myself spend most of my time in VB6 and my first love is VB6, I feel its time to adopt .Net as it is the way Microsoft is heading after Vista's release.
 

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Hello vikaksethi,

Please tell us something about Rent a coder...

Many programmers are there who want to participate in such projects. I want to know something about the project details, expertise level, programming language etc. Please explain a little bit about such online jobs...

Thanks in advance.

Subrata Bera.
 
Last edited:

vikassethi

Broken In
subratabera said:
Hello vikaksethi,

Please tell us something about Rent a coder...

Many programmers are there who want to participate in such projects. I want to know something about the project details, expertise level, programming language etc. Please explain a little bit about such online jobs...

Thanks in advance.

Subrata Bera.
The first thing that you have to be very sure about is the freelancing is not a part time job. I am a freelancer for last many years and am successful at RAC only because I am full time available to my clients. At RAC you get all kinds of projects right from graphics to projects in languages like VB, .net and php.

The registration is free of cost. You need to bid on the projects and the buyer will award you the project once he is convinced of your capabilities. There is no formal qualification required to be at RAC. I hope all this helps.
 

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Thanks for your response vikas,

One more thing I want to know is, if I get a project and cannot complete it in time or not able to complete it then what happens? Can I contact any other programmer to do that job. Will this effect my score? And also what are the possibilities of Linux based projects because I think you must have legal versions of M$ softwares to join that club if you do want to code VB projects? Also what happens if the buyer did'nt like my work?

Thankyou.

Subrata Bera.
 

vikassethi

Broken In
RAC is a difficult place with all above possibilities. There is an in-house arbitration process where a buyer can file a case againt you and not only will they not pay you for your work if something goes wrong, they will give you negative ratings. Indians, Pakistanis and Romanians have a very bad rep at RAC and any additional negative rating means, you will find it very difficult to get projects. So be sure about your seriousness at RAC and that you make it as a full time job. Programmers working with companies can not make it their side profession.
 

vikassethi

Broken In
rajesh_nk22 said:
vikas, i wanted to know how much money u make just to get idea.
LOL...This is a tricky one. I am ranked 44th amongst 1,60,000 odd programmers at RAC. To maintain that position I sure have to make more than 1 lakh per month. But it does take a lot of organized hours working from home.

UFO007: Just search google with keywords ".Net Tutorials" and you will be flushed with hundreds of them.
 
OP
R

rajesh_nk22

Journeyman
wow, really, happy to hear this. So by working from home, we can earn money then. Thanks for update. I am working in company, I wish I was also working from home like you.

I have planned of working at RAC. Lets see ...
 

vikassethi

Broken In
Working from home looks easy, but it is very difficult to maintain a thin line between home and office. I am sure once you work out that discipline, then it has all advantages.

What are your areas of expertise?
 

jal_desai

In the zone
vikassethi said:
VB6 will survie for another 5 years from here for sure but there is no growth left in it.

kya baat kar rahe ho yaar?... my heart sanked... i just learnt VB 6 in my last semester and just fell in love with it... Can u give me more information on .NET..... I have heard of it but didnt bothered abt it much but now i am really serious abt it... (give necessary links if possible)... :(
 

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Hello vikas,

Just one more question. You said that you are at 44th place at RAC. That proves your superiority. I am very much impressed and want to know more about how you have reached at this level (I mean programming level). What is your learning procedure, qualification etc. etc. I hope you will share this information and I am sure this will inspire many of us...

Thankyou.

Subrata Bera.
 

vikassethi

Broken In
subratabera said:
Hello vikas,

Just one more question. You said that you are at 44th place at RAC. That proves your superiority. I am very much impressed and want to know more about how you have reached at this level (I mean programming level). What is your learning procedure, qualification etc. etc. I hope you will share this information and I am sure this will inspire many of us...

Thankyou.

Subrata Bera.

Ok. So get ready for the shock.
1. I am not an MCA.
2. I am not even a BCA.
3. I did my BCOM(H) in 1992.
4. I have'nt got any training from any formal institute like NIIT or SSI ever. I did join NIIT in my early days but then I quit the 2 years course in 15 days.
5. Everything I have achieved in my IT success - has been learned through books and discussion forums sitting at home.
6. The secret of my success is the quality of work and sincerity I out to my work and Americans love that. I have a great trust based relationship with most of my clients and that helps.

My website will tell you more: www.vikassethi.com
(Mods! This is no adverstisment..LOL)
__________
jal_desai said:
kya baat kar rahe ho yaar?... my heart sanked... i just learnt VB 6 in my last semester and just fell in love with it... Can u give me more information on .NET..... I have heard of it but didnt bothered abt it much but now i am really serious abt it... (give necessary links if possible)... :(
I am serious. Search google for .Net resources. World is full of .Net sites now.
__________
rajesh_nk22 said:
expertise in : vb 6, sql server, delphi
__________
i forget to mention ASP
ASP like VB6 is a dead language too. May not survive for long. How many years of experience do you have in VB6 and ASP and how good are you on scale 1 to 10?
 
Last edited:
OP
R

rajesh_nk22

Journeyman
vikas, u r really a nice person. I wish you were my friend.
VB6 & ASP experience of two years and i will rate myscale to 6 on scale
 

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
lol i have to say this... please change the name of the thread to "Vikas sethi - the guru"

Truly impressed. I have myself attempted to become a work-at-home programmer but to my bad luck i am truly disorganised and light headed(dont read that as a drunk:-o )

In the end we humble beings from the lower rug of life are blessed with ur ominious presence at the top of the stairs. Peace.
 

vikassethi

Broken In
rajesh_nk22 said:
vikas, u r really a nice person. I wish you were my friend.
VB6 & ASP experience of two years and i will rate myscale to 6 on scale
Thanks for your kind words. Sacle 6 may not be enough. You should at least 8 when you go to a site like RAC. Reason - the professionals on other side talk with you or chat with you and any comment from your side that you can not do or anything not convincing to them leads to wrong impression and negative markings in the end. However, having scared you - RAC is worth a try if you can commit 100% to it.
__________
Rollercoaster said:
lol i have to say this... please change the name of the thread to "Vikas sethi - the guru"

Truly impressed. I have myself attempted to become a work-at-home programmer but to my bad luck i am truly disorganised and light headed(dont read that as a drunk:-o )

In the end we humble beings from the lower rug of life are blessed with ur ominious presence at the top of the stairs. Peace.

Never wanted to act Guru like. Just replying to what my other friends are asking. I am sorry if my messages reflect any ego boosting or self praises. The onlt intention was to tell what I do and where I have reached.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom