using new extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepak.krishnan

In the zone
Hello friends,
I would like to know how to make use of an extension made by myself to save a file say a word doc typed in my own program.Please tell me how to relate this program to always save a file in tat format and also open only files in that format.
--------------------
Deepak Krishnan

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
I don't think I understand your question altogether well.

"This program", "That format." Confuzzling. : lol :

kato

Karthiksn
Actually wat do u mean. You are talking about some extension but an extension to wat be a bit clear

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Actually he means that he wants to create his own file extension which only he/his s/w can create or edit (perhaps)

amitgg

Journeyman
First of all, think about the format of file format in which you want to make ur documents.

e.g. open an .rtf or .doc file in notepad. you will see some special characters. This is formatting which can only be understand by 'word'.
so u have to create a program which can store and read files in ur particular format.

Now, u want to register ur file extension with windows, so that users can open those file from explorer itself by double clicking on icon (isn't it?).

I forgot this how to do it with programming, but manually you can do it from tools->folder options-> file types in explorer.

OP
deepak.krishnan

deepak.krishnan

In the zone
well do u know tat one can make his own extensions in windows??? If so I want 2 know how I can make such an extension which I made to be opened only with my program.
eg. In case of a word doc. made in a text editor, on saving the program(text editor) must save the text file in the extension assigned to it.Also it must b able to open the files of the extension assigned to it only.

Now I hope its clear for you.

OP
deepak.krishnan

deepak.krishnan

In the zone
amitgg said:
First of all, think about the format of file format in which you want to make ur documents.

e.g. open an .rtf or .doc file in notepad. you will see some special characters. This is formatting which can only be understand by 'word'.
so u have to create a program which can store and read files in ur particular format.

Now, u want to register ur file extension with windows, so that users can open those file from explorer itself by double clicking on icon (isn't it?).

I forgot this how to do it with programming, but manually you can do it from tools->folder options-> file types in explorer.

I did not get wut you meant by registering with windows.Can you explain a bit more please?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
In tools->folder options-> file types, one can register/add a special extension and choose an app to open it by default

sakumar79

Technomancer
I think what you are trying to say is that you want to have the installation for your program register file extension to be opened by your program... For example, if you create a software named "My Word Processor" and store files created in a .mwp format, you want the installation program of "My Word Processor" to register .mwp to be opened by it...

In that case, it will depend on the language that you are using to code the program... For VB5/6, take a look at *www.codeguru.com/vb/gen/vb_system/directoriesandfiles/article.php/c4837/ and for VB .NET, check *www.vbcity.com/forums/topic.asp?tid=72258

For other language, please post which language you are looking at...

Arun

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I think When you right-click u get n option "open with". click dis, click browse, locate your executable, click "always use this program....", click OK. This will open files with that ext. with ur program.

Kniwor

Learner
Cool Buddy said:
I think When you right-click u get n option "open with". click dis, click browse, locate your executable, click "always use this program....", click OK. This will open files with that ext. with ur program.

EGG- ZAKTLY

i dont understand how others could not figure out waht he is asking ... it was a clear question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom